Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's not too soon if the K-3 is a higher spec'd higher priced body. There's room for an APS-C line above the K-5.
You'd think they might want to get a new body out sooner rather than later. I've read that if Canonikon produce a 7D v2 or a D300 v2, two of the distinguishing characteristics may well be super-fast burst rate and top-quality AF, neither of which exist on their low-level FX cams. No Pentax presence in the modern APS-C flagship sphere might risk losing more high-enders or potential ones, particularly wedding and action photographers.

01-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Are you sure nobody here have the slightest idea?
Basically. Some who post here may know more than others and some may have 'contact's but I don't think anyone who posts here regularly actually works in PRIC's camera division.
01-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Well, if someone knows more than others, he has the slightest idea
01-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Well, if someone knows more than others, he has the slightest idea
lol, that's one way of looking at it!

01-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Looks like they will be introducing three new rugged compacts, at least.

CP+???????????????????????WG??????? - ????info
Looks like two new compacts - the bottom two are two different colors of the same camera.
01-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Looks like two new compacts - the bottom two are two different colors of the same camera.
Not quite, the middle one appears to have an LCD on the front to the right of the lens.

They've got their own thread now.
01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Not quite, the middle one appears to have an LCD on the front to the right of the lens.

They've got their own thread now.
You're correct. odd.

01-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #158
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CP+ will be the exhibition of P&S cameras...
01-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
CP+ will be the exhibition of P&S cameras...
Fine with me if one of those compacts is the GRD V (w/APS-C sensor)
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #160

To me this looks like... Pentax is doomed. Again. Is it sixth or seventh time in the last 5 years? Seems like Pentax is doomed every time there is some major show, before it and after it. Until the FF camera is released. But Pentax will be doomed then also as it will be "only a FF camera". Oh dear But before everything is lost (again) I'm glad my cameras still take great pictures
01-29-2013, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
To me this looks like... Pentax is doomed. Again. Is it sixth or seventh time in the last 5 years? Seems like Pentax is doomed every time there is some major show, before it and after it. Until the FF camera is released. But Pentax will be doomed then also as it will be "only a FF camera". Oh dear But before everything is lost (again) I'm glad my cameras still take great pictures
Replace doomed with seemingly directionless.

The problem that a lot of people have on this forum with Pentax is the level of uncertainty created by being bought and sold twice in recent years and by having a small market share - whilst simultaneously producing both the Q and 645D. I think people want a FF not so much to go out and buy one but as a big, bold, demonstration of the commitment Pentax-Ricoh has to staying in the DSLR/K-mount business for the long haul.

The recent refresh of the K5 is also indicative of a company running out of ideas and/or resources. It's also indicative of a period of slowdown during a buyout, sure, but for the end user the difference is inconsequential until we see a proper strategy or future plan from Pentax-Ricoh.

People are also getting jittery with the squeeze on the bottom of the market from mirrorless cameras and 'budget' FFs at the top. Also several companies have got the jump on Pentax in areas we like to think of as Pentax's strong points - most notably the OM-D with it's compact retro design.
01-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Yeah, the sky is falling

If they managed to get out the 645D and the Q after a hostile takeover, and going through cost cutting and downsizing, that means they have a good potential of doing much better, being owned by a company actually interested in them. Ricoh is not seeing Pentax as unnecessary, low margin luggage.
A medium format pro solution would be much more of a "big, bold demonstration of commitment" than a small format enthusiast solution.

Running out of ideas and/or resources? Ridiculous; at Photokina only 11 months had passed since Pentax Ricoh was founded. There simply wasn't time to solve most stringent management/integration issues, then to define a medium term strategy down to product level, then to R&D a completely new product, making it market ready in time.
Unlike with Hoya, there is not even one single negative "vibe" from Pentax Ricoh.

The DSLR market is strong and growing; and that's mostly APS-C, as FFs are still single digit.
01-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the sky is falling

If they managed to get out the 645D and the Q after a hostile takeover, and going through cost cutting and downsizing, that means they have a good potential of doing much better, being owned by a company actually interested in them. Ricoh is not seeing Pentax as unnecessary, low margin luggage.
A medium format pro solution would be much more of a "big, bold demonstration of commitment" than a small format enthusiast solution.

Running out of ideas and/or resources? Ridiculous; at Photokina only 11 months had passed since Pentax Ricoh was founded. There simply wasn't time to solve most stringent management/integration issues, then to define a medium term strategy down to product level, then to R&D a completely new product, making it market ready in time.
Unlike with Hoya, there is not even one single negative "vibe" from Pentax Ricoh.

The DSLR market is strong and growing; and that's mostly APS-C, as FFs are still single digit.
Unless you are the CEO of Pentax, I don't see how you could possibly know any of these things with regard to Pentax. However, I doubt any company in this field can afford to turn out the lights for a period of time, as seems to have happened to Ricoh cameras for a start. Not surprisingly, folks tend to fear the worst and act accordingly. What is going on inside the company is unknown to them and even if they did know it likely wouldn't make any difference because the end result is the same: empty shelves.

An indication that PRI were coming out with all guns firing and a new and much stronger product range would be a strengthened sales and marketing network around the world. So far, there is no sign of that happening? I don't think we've seen any announcements of new deals being signed with distributors in places like Brazil, India, Oceania and so forth, or new offices established there? News of new hires and expansion in established territories like Europe and the USA? Few and far between.

Low-key sales and marketing = low risk and low investment required but low growth and low expectations. That's where we are at the moment. Imho, both Pentax and Ricoh have followed this path for the past few years, judging solely by the results one can see from the outside. Whether this path will continue to be viable in the face of the relentless march of online sales over B&M stores isn't yet known, but so far they do not appear to have strayed from it. Welcome to the world of Evangelion.
01-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #164
Pentaxian

Are you seriously implying that only the CEO can possibly know such things? Not even the high level Pentax management? And no information whatsoever is made public?
Since you said "any of these things with regard to Pentax", I'd guess even the existence of Pentax Ricoh is secret; wow!

The funny thing is, right after the claim that I don't know anything at all you start making baseless assumptions, like "turn out the lights for a period of time, as seems to have happened to Ricoh cameras for a start".

Are you closely monitoring their sales and marketing network in several continents? Do you have inside information, or how else are you doing it?

There was a Pentax UK interview in which it was said Pentax hired/was hiring engineers, to expand their R&D capacity. I'd say that's more telling than expanding only the marketing
01-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has struggled as a company since acquiring IKON Office Systems in 2008. The earthquake and tsunami, then Thai flooding and Yen strength further set back their recovery. Ricoh established a company-wide restructuring last year to reduce costs and prepare for long-term profit recovery (which applies to Digicam as well as Office Systems. It appears for FY3/13 Digicam will be break-even to slightly profitable versus a loss in FY3/12. Ricoh plans significant investment to increase revenue in Digicam and analysts see a rise in product development and SG&A expenses (B&M stores, etc.) permitted by this revenue increase in the coming FY that begins FY4/13.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. James Malcolm has a plan and you will be happy.