Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So the other brands are earthquake- and recession -proof then? They don't seem to be bothered by those as much as Pentax.
Besides being bigger and more to tolerate stress, the offerings from Canikon for the past couple years have generally been incremental improvements (or that's the whining I've heard from the Canikon fanboys).

01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Besides being bigger and more to tolerate stress, the offerings from Canikon for the past couple years have generally been incremental improvements (or that's the whining I've heard from the Canikon fanboys).
More Canon than Nikon, due to the 5d Mk3 not being a big improvement over the Mk2 except for the AF, the T4i being a T3i, and no 7D or 60D replacement yet.
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
What about Fuji? Panasonic? Olympus? Their all small, but were able to deliver some really cool products this year, despite the crisis and despite the other disasters.

Canon and Nikon are stuck in a trench war, using century old equipment. I don't think they are the right examples right now. Pentax should not join THAT battle.
01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #229
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus are not small companies. They're all financially bigger than Pentax and some have business outside the photographic world, especially Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. Furthermore, their products were not of the same caliber as a FF dSLR, which Pentax has said it's focusing on now. We can make excuses for both sides of the argument until kingdom come, but what's the point? Either accept that there is no announcement from Pentax now other than the AF360FGZ II, MX-1 and Q10, or go with the products that meet your needs/desires outside of Pentax. Pentax will come out with their products when they're ready.

01-31-2013, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
We can make excuses for both sides of the argument until kingdom come, but what's the point?
The only point I can see is that Clavius enjoys pissing in people's cornflakes.
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
a FF dSLR, which Pentax has said it's focusing on now.
That is incorrect. They the words were "investigating it". Surrounded by a lot of if and when.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The only point I can see is that Clavius enjoys pissing in people's cornflakes.
That's incorrect too, there just aren't any cornflakes to piss on.
01-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #232
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Investigating, developing...
They wouldn't release a date if it is not even developed yet...
Oh, and I forgot that the WG-3 was also announced.
The WG-3, Q10 and MX-1 are all very cool products.

Attached Images

01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What about Fuji? Panasonic? Olympus? Their all small, but were able to deliver some really cool products this year, despite the crisis and despite the other disasters.

Canon and Nikon are stuck in a trench war, using century old equipment. I don't think they are the right examples right now. Pentax should not join THAT battle.
Which really cool products? Wait, I'll search for myself.
Fuji:
- firmware updates
- lots of point&shoots
- postponing the X100s
Panasonic:
- lots of point&shoots
Olympus:
- lots of point&shoots
- an invisible E-P3 replacement
01-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #234
Pentaxian

In fact we did see more from Pentax and Nikon than any other brand, alltogether.
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, honestly, this does follow a 2012 year, where as far as upper end cameras we just got a re-fit of the K5 with a moderate improvement (aka fixing) of the auto focus system. Nikon and Canon got cameras like the 6D, 5D Mk III, D800, D600 last year. I think everyone (including me) is waiting for a camera above the K5, probably APS-C, with some general improvements.

Maybe it will come in March to May time period?
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, honestly, this does follow a 2012 year, where as far as upper end cameras we just got a re-fit of the K5 with a moderate improvement (aka fixing) of the auto focus system. Nikon and Canon got cameras like the 6D, 5D Mk III, D800, D600 last year. I think everyone (including me) is waiting for a camera above the K5, probably APS-C, with some general improvements.

Maybe it will come in March to May time period?
Possibly these companies, including Pentax (which missed the prior upgrade cycle) sre aware that it has been 4 years since the last global economic downturn. Although China seems to have achieved a soft landing, what comes in the developed markets about once every 36 - 48 months?
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #237
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My issue with film is no decent lab in st. Louis. Where should I send my film?
Why would you send it anywhere ?
B&W is easily processed at home.
01-31-2013, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #238
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
In fact we did see more from Pentax and Nikon than any other brand, alltogether.
Why no one is mentioning Leica Camera?
They are small, very small. Smaller than Pentax and way smaller than Ricoh.
Yet, an FF M9 introduced in 2009 has saved the company, made it profitable. They still can't make enough cameras and lenses to meet the demand.
Since then, Leica has made a premium APS-C mirrorless cameras (two iterations), several iterations of the M9, including Monochrome, M9-P and for 2013 there M TYpe240 and an M-E.
They source sensors as they can - Leica doesn't have enough buying power to resource Sony's FF sensors, for example, but still they want to be in the game, they innovate, and they re not afraid to raise come chatter, to show what's coming months ahead to keep people buzzing: M-E and M-240 showed at Fotokina in September 2012 are just about to be shipped.
01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nice sig tag!

My issue with film is no decent lab in st. Louis. Where should I send my film?
A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I suppose that's where I need to go then. I sent the last rolls of K-64 there and I was delighted.

And I'm really a dilletante; I won't be developing or printing at home. I hate Photoshop too.

I enjoy the taking part of photography just not the making part.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-31-2013 at 04:41 PM.