Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Have you Experienced K20D's New AF setting?

I've read several mentions in the forums about the K20D's new setting/function for a "quicker" but likely less accurate AF... (the af modules for all intents and purpose are the same for k10d and k20d except for option of no double check in the k20d menu setting) for those gifted with better memory than me can you recall the actual named Pentax setting used in the menu and where in the menu that it is found, and any useful forum links, if any? My understanding is that this simply does away with 'double check'...It would be great if we will be getting this on the new camera!

BTW, for those answering my queries, have you actually used the setting, and does it *in fact* exist? Examples available?

I'm considering asking about this setting and posing it to the k20d review author at Popphoto but I don't want to be blowing smoke rings ... just imagine asking about something and the setting in question was simply over-enthusiastic rumor! :ugh:

Many thanks.

Last edited by solar1; 02-18-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarification of question
02-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as I've heard, the AF system in the K20D is the same unit in the K10D. It may be tweaked a bit, but I have not heard of any new modes.

They have added the ability to adjust up to 20 lenses for front/back focusing issues.
02-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is a setting called "Trap focus". It is supposed faster than regular AF. There are several of us waiting to see more on this feature because it could be the one thing that gets me to upgrade from the K10D.

Regards,

Ken
02-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Roscot, but...

I was asking quite a different question directed to actual experience with the k20d

Yes the AF is the same in the two cameras to my knowledge, the proposed new function (as a menu option) does away temporarily cancels double check as I mentioned in the original post

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
As far as I've heard, the AF system in the K20D is the same unit in the K10D. It may be tweaked a bit, but I have not heard of any new modes.

They have added the ability to adjust up to 20 lenses for front/back focusing issues.

Last edited by solar1; 02-18-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification :)
02-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but doesn't the K10D already have a trap focus?

Perhaps under a different heading in the menu?

I think that double check and trap focus are two different things entirely, yes

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
There is a setting called "Trap focus". It is suposed to be faster than regular AF. There are several of us waiting to see more on this feature because it could be the one thing that gets me to upgrade from the K10D.

Regards,

Ken
02-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote

There's supposidly a setting that eliminates the last check (or double check) of the focus so to increase "speed" of AF.... My personal take is it's probably an option but one that has very little real functionality... My reasoon for this is it's just been given "lip service" as in "we can do that".
Nobody's said it even works...... We shall see.....Few had the actual camera and as far as I know, nobody's tested this yet....
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
There's supposidly a setting that eliminates the last check (or double check) of the focus so to increase "speed" of AF.... My personal take is it's probably an option but one that has very little real functionality... My reasoon for this is it's just been given "lip service" as in "we can do that".
Nobody's said it even works...... We shall see.....Few had the actual camera and as far as I know, nobody's tested this yet....
Sony a700 users have this feature...perhaps lurk on one of their forums and see how the implementation works for that system.

02-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Perhaps under a different heading in the menu?

I think that double check and trap focus are two different things entirely, yes
On the k10D trap focus only works on old manual lenses, not with AF lenses. Chris said they used the name trap focus which is misleading. Like jeffkrol I think it's probably just a gimmick but am hoping it does help with the speed of AF.
02-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When I tried out the K20D beta, I tested the camera with and without trap focus on. With trap focus on in continuous focusing mode, i could hold the release button in all the way and the camera would only take a picture when it was sure the subject was in focus.

With trap focus off, the camera would fire when I pressed the button even if the subject was not in focus.
It did not turn off the "double check" as far as I know.

There might be another function that turns this off, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the beta version's menu.
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So they added a function to allow you to use AF lenses in trap focus, BFD! If that is all it is I am disapointed once again. The price I'm willing to pay for this upgrade is falling faster than Hillary's poll numbers.
02-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
There is a setting called "Trap focus". It is supposed faster than regular AF. There are several of us waiting to see more on this feature because it could be the one thing that gets me to upgrade from the K10D.

Regards,

Ken
So what is "Catch-in focus" mode in the menu? Is there also a "trap focus" mode in the menu..
pg 13...........
http://www.pentaxslr.com/pdf/k20.k200brochure.spread.pdf
02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think that "Catch-in focus" is just the Pentax name for "trap focus"
Just because they like to keep us on on our toes! hehehe

I hope i am wrong though... I would really like to be able to turn off that pesky "stutter" of the Pentax AF-system.

Last edited by Shashinki; 02-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's some reading for you guys of a patent that could be the fabled "Catch-in focus" Automatic photographing apparatus in a camera - US Patent 5640224

They even use the wording "Catch-in focus" a couple of times in this patent description.

It's a Nikon patent from '95, and they call it "Trap focus" in their menus (D70 etc.).
Could be that Pentax had to call it "Catch-in focus" to avoid getting sued?? I dunno.
02-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
So what is "Catch-in focus" mode in the menu? Is there also a "trap focus" mode in the menu..
pg 13...........
http://www.pentaxslr.com/pdf/k20.k200brochure.spread.pdf
Chris referred to trap focus in one of his posts. I haven't read the manual so I have no idea. I suspect you and I are both hoping against hope there is a setting that eliminates the double check and we are grabbing at straws right now. I'm hoping more of the beta testers will jump in here.
02-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #15

PENTAX has had trap focus since the PZ-1P film days with their FA lenses.

Tom