Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
When they say that the 645D is on the back burner, I think they really mean it. As someone pointed out in another thread, the 645 lens is no longer on the roadmap.

Why don't any of you think that "professional" and "APS-C" are not terms that can go together.

02-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
When they say that the 645D is on the back burner, I think they really mean it. As someone pointed out in another thread, the 645 lens is no longer on the roadmap.

Why don't any of you think that "professional" and "APS-C" are not terms that can go together.
It's been on and off for a while. I don't think it's going to the trash any time soon.
02-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote

Speaking only for myself, I do not think that PRO and APS-C are not mutually exclusive. Indeed the K10D has proven on many levels that the APS-C format sensor is more than up to the job. However there are several advantages to a medium format sensor and system. A distinct possibility could be a MF sized 14-20MP sensor with larger individual pixels rather than just making a huge 30MP sensor with teeny-tiny pixels to claim the MP crown. Perhaps someone who understands the sensors better can explain why this would be a good thing.

Also, I am not concerned about the 645 lens falling off of the roadmap. I think this may simply reflect Pentax's realization that they already have suitable lenses for the 645D. Why design new ones at this point if the old ones are already up to the task?

Of course, I could be totally wrong and they could have something else in mind, but I do not think 35mm equivilent FF is the answer. The current lens roadmap does not lead in that direction unless the DA* lenses are in reality, cleverly disguised FF lenses. Who knows...
02-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #34
Pentaxian

645d?

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
... Also, I am not concerned about the 645 lens falling off of the roadmap. I think this may simply reflect Pentax's realization that they already have suitable lenses for the 645D. ...
And why telegraph your intentions to the competition? What would this board look like if there WERE 645 lenses on the roadmap, but no 645D camera had been announced? If/when they announce that the 645D is going into production, it is easy enough to publish a new roadmap.

I think that the recent announcement that Pentax is going to start a Professional Services department, to cater to the needs and wants of working pros is a good sign. It is probably a necessary first step to regaining a toehold in the professional market. If they announced a pro-level camera without having a pro-level infrastructure in place to support their customers, I don't think that they would have many customers. C & N both have extensive professional support systems.

The Pentax pro-services program is the first shoe. A new high-end camera, whether its APS-C, a full-frame K-mount camera or a revitalized 645D, will be the second shoe to drop.

But then, what do I know?

Paul Noble
Pentax user since 1967

02-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #35

Love the Pentax vs Sony angle on this thread

I'm one of the few Pro's who have been a loyal Pentax user, in my case, 30 years. Finally retired my trusty LX's and bought a couple of K10D's.

Nice camera, love the glass (as always with Pentax) and the price can't be beat. Then I did the unthinkable - I just got a Sony A700 and a couple of their Zeiss lenses - yummy.

I'm going to upgrade later this year (want more MP) and decided to give the K20D a pass, better than a K10D, but not by much. I'm waiting for the next Pentax, or the Sony A900 - 24MP! Unless the next Pentax raises the bar much higher, a 645D would do it, I think I'll switch to Sony completely. The A700 and the Zeiss glass are a real treat from the "so-so" of the K10D.

It took a lot to wrestle me away from my beloved LX's and Pentax have been relatively mediocre ever since. Out of fondness for this quirky company, I hope they keep me, but I really am salivating for the A900. Sony are never inexpensive, but I've got a ton of their electronic equipment around the house and have become a huge fan. The big wait is on.
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andyptak Quote
I'm one of the few Pro's who have been a loyal Pentax user, in my case, 30 years. Finally retired my trusty LX's and bought a couple of K10D's.

Nice camera, love the glass (as always with Pentax) and the price can't be beat. Then I did the unthinkable - I just got a Sony A700 and a couple of their Zeiss lenses - yummy.

I'm going to upgrade later this year (want more MP) and decided to give the K20D a pass, better than a K10D, but not by much. I'm waiting for the next Pentax, or the Sony A900 - 24MP! Unless the next Pentax raises the bar much higher, a 645D would do it, I think I'll switch to Sony completely. The A700 and the Zeiss glass are a real treat from the "so-so" of the K10D.

It took a lot to wrestle me away from my beloved LX's and Pentax have been relatively mediocre ever since. Out of fondness for this quirky company, I hope they keep me, but I really am salivating for the A900. Sony are never inexpensive, but I've got a ton of their electronic equipment around the house and have become a huge fan. The big wait is on.
I don't think the 645D or any FF Pentax are right around the corner.

Most probably, the next Pentax high end cam will be a competitor to Nikon's D300 with the same MP number as K20.

If more MP is what you're looking for then you have the choice of Canon 1DsMkIII or the future Sony FF. Pricewise, I hope you're really well off though because both are going to be kind of expensive (as would a 645D).
02-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I've had some issues with Sony products over the past 20 years (Tv's, MP3, alarm clocks, etc.) and find their quality and durability a concern, to the point I avoid buying their products if I can. They continue to have problems, just last year there was the overheating battery scandal.

I was and am concerned about the Sony sensor in my K10D, not that the K20D has a Samsung, I wished I'd waited.

Sony you will recall had to lay off something in the neighborhood of 10,000 employees in Japan, not too long ago.

I am surprised you would look at Sony, as a pro camera, if it was Nikon or Canon, I could understand due to their superior range of lens to everybody else.

Are there very many pros using Sony equipment? I thought that for the most part, Canon, Nikon and Leica had that market sewn up.

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-23-2008 at 12:34 PM.
02-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Nikon uses Sony sensors...

02-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Nikon uses Sony sensors...
... but they have moved away from Sony sensors in their high end FF product. How long until they abandon Sony sensors in their other DSLRs?

Regards, Jim
02-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
... but they have moved away from Sony sensors in their high end FF product. How long until they abandon Sony sensors in their other DSLRs?

Regards, Jim
Sure but AFAIK it was still manufactured by Sony, even if it is a Nikon design. Well it is the most importatthing, being design independent, but you still need you sensor to be fabbed. I don't think Nikon has such facilities...
02-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by andyptak Quote

If you like so much Zeiss glasses [and who doesn't?] on ebay there are soo many Tessar, Biotar, Sonnar and Flektogons waiting for new friends all usable with a simple m42 flange adapter!
02-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #42

Sony Vs Pentax

Sony is never cheap or a good bargain, like the K10D, but I find their Zeiss lens pricing reasonable in comparison. My first stab at digital was a Sony R1, with a lovely fixed Zeiss zoom. I never seriously thought of using on a job but wanted to learn about digital and the combo of 10MP and a Zeiss lens at just over a thousand dollars was enough to tempt me to try it out.

I kept using film and my Lx's while I got used to digital, but was won over by this camera. The lens alone was worth the full price. Under most conditions it's a superb lens, but under the right conditions it's a stunning lens. This camera won me over to digital and I bought my K10D's and went digital all the way.

The K10D's are okay and considering the price, I have nothing to complain about, but I do find them borderline more times than I would like - and I don't think it's the glass - Pentax are a great glass maker (part of the reason I've been with them for so long).

Based on my R1 experience, and I even ended up using it on a few jobs, I couldn't resist the A700 and Zeiss lenses and haven't regretted it. A number of years ago, when the maximum for digital was around 6MP, my camera dealer told me that he estimated that digitial had to reach around 18MP to equal Fuji Velvia, which has been my film of choice. If the A900 comes in at the expected 24MP, then it's made it and I'll be happy again, with no more digital trade-offs. It won't be cheap, but Sony will be after market share and I think they'll make it as reasonable as they can in order to woo the Cankon crowd. (I don't think they will, by the way). We'll wait and see what Pentax comes up with later this year. Out of nostalgia, I'm kind of rooting for them.