Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting reading, both in respect of the camera and the reactions to it.

Although I was a bit dismissive of the Q when it was released, I bought one after seeing what people were doing with it, and haven't regretted it. One of the things the MX-1 has in common with the Q is the build quality (and the size). Thanks to Frank's quick posting here, we have a handle on size, by comparison with an iPhone, but the build quality is one of the less-heralded things that will attract camera people to the MX-1.

It was the build quality and the fast lens on the Samsung EX-1 that decided in its favour against the competition, when I bought one for my wife 12 months or so ago. The MX-1 has both those characteristics, though quite why they decided in favour of brass for the body, rather than a lighter alloy, escapes me, though I'm not against it.

Once the camera is on the market, we'll know more. Some of the less-considered early responses (such as decrying the wasteful use of "R&D" resource on this camera, rather than a FF body) have become par for the course here, and are just a distraction - not even mildly entertaining anymore. An in-depth review will be interesting.

01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
so I say again... Pentax TAKE MY MONEY!
Awesome spirit! If only we have more Pentax users like you who are less tight fisted about parting with their cash for new Pentax gear. This camera will help reduce the number of Pentax shooters looking for a compact, high quality P&S from buying other brands. Unfortunately there might still be a segment who will only buy this when it is close to being discontinued to pick up a bargain.
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Would be a nice backup to my K-30
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sony Global - CX-NEWS Vol.69

It's new sensor from Sony - the same as in Olympus XZ-2, Nikon P7700 and Samsung EX2F
Assuming that it is the IMX144CQJ indeed which goes into the MX-1:

This sensor supports 4k 60fps video and HD 240fps video! It is a pitty that the MX-1 obviously misses the horsepower to make use of it.

The readout speed is 5760 Mbps which is enough for 11fps at 36.3MP. Pretty impressive.

Here is the PDF for rhe sensor: http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol69/pdf/imx144cqj.pdf

Last edited by falconeye; 01-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #155

I'll buy it if the IQ is good and build quality is good. By "good" on the IQ, I don't mean DSLR good. If it can compete favorably with the LX7 and G15, $500 is not a bad price. Love the look of it.
01-07-2013, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

I know, it sounds negative, so let me say first that I do actually like the MX-1, probably because of its classic design.

But ...

Unlike the XZ-2 sister from Olympus, the MX-1 lacks an EVF option, again.

K-01, Q, MX-1, all w/o a viewfinder. Why? I am a bit wondering because I run out of arguments to explain it...
01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by owl Quote
My point was same focal length/same F# = same DOF; of course this is a simplification and you have to move your feet, but the use of the crop factor on the F# is a greater simplification and suggests that a shallow depth of field is not possible and that is wrong.
I haven't thought about comparing two different perspective pictures. I suspect I will still disagree. In either case I will stop discussing it in this thread, if you'd like to discuss it further point me to a new thread.
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Man, I love the look of this camera, I don't need it though, my Q does what it does... But now I can just only imagine what the K-01 would of been if Ricoh designed it, I like the K-01 dont get me wrong, but probably would of been what this is with a K-mount...

01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Nice looking advance PnS camera but nothing to set itself apart from others in its class that are already a year old. The market is moving toward larger sensors and WIFI connectivity.

Dave
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #160
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Relax, I'm on you side. It was just a joke.

The picture is meant to make it obvious how absurd it is to use a large flash on a small P&S.
What would not be so absurd would be wireless P-TTL capability from the built-in flash. This was the biggest disappointment with my K-01. Set an AF540 (or Sigma or Metz) on its stand somewhere innocuous and you have a light, compact camera capable of nicely bounced flash shots.
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Wow! Isn't that their first attempt at a "photographer's compact" (if we don't include the Q) since the 750z? And with a relatively large sensor! I look forward to see how this camera compares to LX-7 and similar serious compacts.
'Their' also includes Ricoh now, and this is very much a Ricoh category. So this is actually making me wonder about the possible 'GRD Zoom' (along with a GRD Monochrome) which a Ricoh guy mentioned last year, which would effectively be a GX300 successor to the discontinued GX100 and GX200 models. So this MX-1 is very close to a possible/expected Ricoh GX300, so my wondering is if they gave this model the Pentax brand, what can we expect fromt he Ricoh-branded model coming up next?

And I see they aren't using the Optio name.
01-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Relax, I'm on you side. It was just a joke.

The picture is meant to make it obvious how absurd it is to use a large flash on a small P&S.
I used the Ricoh GF-1 flash on the GRD IV a lot for low light indoors for bounce.

You may think it's absurd if you carry it around everywhere, but it's obviously not meant for that. It's just good to have an option when needed instead of having to pull out a heftier camera anyway.

Here's somebody else's GRD+GF-1 (with wide-angle adapter), so I wasn't alone:

01-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
From http://pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/MX-1_Silver:

1/1.7’ Backlit 12 megapixel CMOS sensor

Talk about a small sensor!

Not exactly what I was thinking of when dreaming of a digital revival of the MX...
I am so excited to open the mail but it is not I want to. I wish in somedays, Pentax will built a modern digital MX/ LX.
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Very nice - but if they're priced the same, the Fuji X20 looks far more impressive...
From one who owns a X10, the X20 sure has me more excited than the MX-1.

The MX-1 seems to be a nice P&S, but since I apparently am in the 1% who actually occasionally uses the OVF and hot shoe, the MX-1 looks not to be for me. It will be interesting to see the reviews.
01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Looks like a nice little camera. Too bad it doesn't have an accessory port and hot shoe like my X-Z1.
Thats exactly why I won't be getting it. I'm getting a VF2 for my accessory port.