01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Size comparison: Pentax MX-1 vs. MG

01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
With the 16-50 compact zoom, which I use, it is only 1/2 inch longer...but the IQ and flexibility is in a different class all together.
Good point. Are you satisfied with the 16-50 zoom? My daughter has the NEX-7 and was wondering about it, but has decided to go "all prime", keeping the 18-55 in her bag while using the Sigma 19, Sigma 30 and the Sony 50/1.8 (and she got a Fotodiox adapter from me so she can use my Pentax lenses, including DA lenses, as well ).
01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Good point. Are you satisfied with the 16-50 zoom? My daughter has the NEX-7 and was wondering about it, but has decided to go "all prime", keeping the 18-55 in her bag while using the Sigma 19, Sigma 30 and the Sony 50/1.8 (and she got a Fotodiox adapter from me so she can use my Pentax lenses, including DA lenses, as well ).
I am very satisfied with it from a size versus IQ aspect. It is not as sharp as the prime lenses I attach to it, but for what it does as a a kit zoom which is very small, about half the size of the 18-55, it works quite well. I have the latest version of LR which supports the lens and any distortion is quickly remedied with the click of a button, so no complaints regarding pin-cushioning or barrel distortion when shooting raw and processing. For my needs as a traveler who needs to have the smallest combo possible, I fits the bill very nicely.

Jason
01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How do you know it?
I don't know for sure which is why I used some weasel words, "doesn't seem to". The evidence is from Pentax MX-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications which says:

"FLASH

-Type: Built-in auto flash

-Flash modes: Auto, Flash Off, Flash On, Red-eye, Slow-speed synchro, Slow-speed+Red-eye, Trailing Curtain Sync"

That doesn't look promising for any manual control, but I'd be more than happy to be wrong here. Seriously. I think this is something that every camera with a built in flash should have, even if it's buried under some menus.

01-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #230
Inactive Account

I just popped into my local camera shop in york, a pentax pro centre, to check when my K-r will be returned from fixing (the flash stopped working, being fixed under warranty).

On the desk was this new camera, the MX-1. i gestured to it 'that looks nice' and the guy stood by it, who i later learned to be a pentax representative, handed it to me. Clearly the shop owner and him were having an in depth conversation about it.

It had a medium weight and felt solidly built. He said it would be £399 in the UK, and will be on sale in spring. I said 'looks quite retro'- he said 'it harks back to the MX film camera' - i didnt think to point out the lack of a view finder, or the sensor size, or interchangeable lenses.

Although I have quite an investment in pentax, and was considering a smaller extra hand held camera, this is not it. It focussed slower than my girlfriends Panasonic GF5- which has brilliant quick focussing- a bigger sensor and the option of sticking a fast prime on. It also has better bokeh with the kit lens, which is unsurprising.
Size wise they are very comparable. thinner because of the retractable lens, which has a lens cap- (which i don't understand)- but slightly longer. I would never use the zoom- being a prime guy and the inherent clumsiness compared to a dslr's zoom. so for me, stick a prime on the gf-5 and the cameras are completely comparable- the gf-5 being cheaper with better bokeh. having said that, i do like how the mx 1 looks.

I didn't grill the rep on what they were going to release at cp+. or wether he was new since ricoh. or why there isnt a k5 II in the window yet.

He also gave me a specs sheet, if anyone is interested.
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #231
Inactive Account

added to the last post,
the specs sheet doesnt add much more by way of specification than the stuff published on Pentax MX-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
besides that its meant to be 'the expert compact camera'
the sheet seems to be a sales sheet wit the specs on the back. mentions 'brass top and bottom panels for a distinctive appearance after years of use' among other things, which i'm sure are online.
01-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I don't know for sure which is why I used some weasel words, "doesn't seem to". The evidence is from Pentax MX-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications which says:
"FLASH
-Type: Built-in auto flash
-Flash modes: Auto, Flash Off, Flash On, Red-eye, Slow-speed synchro, Slow-speed+Red-eye, Trailing Curtain Sync"
That doesn't look promising for any manual control, but I'd be more than happy to be wrong here. Seriously. I think this is something that every camera with a built in flash should have, even if it's buried under some menus.
I had thought the same thing. I don't know why more attention isn't paid by camera manufacturers to making it easy to trigger flash wirelessly. I mentioned before the absence of wireless TTL, which Olympus, Sony and others offer on higher end mirrorless cameras. Wireless triggering of some kind solves so many problems with a compact camera and an external flash.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-08-2013 at 10:02 AM.
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #233
ogl
Banned

no man is a prophet in his own country
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Friends, wake up and realize!

Pentax returns to base with new high-end compact from the time of PENTAX Optio A40/Optio 750Z!
But A40 had no RAW.

Q10 and MX-1 are the solid things from Pentax. It's Pentax's come-back!!!
Yes, that is a good compact Pentax camera - I still use mine several times a week and my wife uses hers every day (granted, for blog posts) and much prefers her Pentax over her iPhone and Instagram.
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #235
Veteran Member

Looks like these found their way into people's hands much faster than what was announced at Photokina.
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #236
Veteran Member

I do think this will be a fine camera and should fill it's role competently.
But the question still remains, which others have brought up, why choose this camera as opposed to any number of other "enthusiast" compacts with similar specs?
Those other enthusiast compacts have been around for a year, and here comes Pentax with the same specs (minus hot shoe), late to the dance. Meanwhile, the x20 is waiting in the wings.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, i think will be a cool camera. I just don't know how it will sell in an already crowded niche. If you wanted this type of camera, you would've already bought the Olympus, panason, canon or Fuji.
01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #237
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't know why more attention isn't paid by camera manufacturers to making it easy to trigger flash wirelessly. I mentioned before the absence of wireless TTL, which Olympus, Sony and others offer on higher end mirrorless cameras. Wireless triggering of some kind solves so many problems with a compact camera and an external flash.
It's a P&S camera. I can't imagine the customers after this type of camera wanting to shoot with an external flash unit. Bounce flash itself is a luxury feature and I wonder how many P&S photographers would even be using that. It's not even available for dSLR inbuilt flashes yet (though I appreciate they have hotshoes).
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Don't get me wrong, like I said, i think will be a cool camera. I just don't know how it will sell in an already crowded niche. If you wanted this type of camera, you would've already bought the Olympus, panason, canon or Fuji.
Comments like this, and they seem to come often, seem to assume that everyone is in the postion to buy a type of camera as soon as it comes out and knows they want or need that type of camera at that time. As more and more good compact and mirrorless cameras come out more people will think about purchasing them. And there are always new people entering or re-entering any particular segment of the market. For example I may be interested in purchasing a WP P&S this coming summer but they have been out for years, just did not have the preceived need or desire until now.

There are lots of makes and models in every segment and some become more succesful than others. The Pentax's success will be some what limited by the lesser brand recognition etc but this should put the brand into more box stores and more people's minds.

Not the camera for me, at this time. But how many said that about either the K01 or the Q only to change their mind in a year or so.

On another note re no OVF, I have only once used a camera that did not have one and it felt strange and I only use Live Viewon my K-r when shooting pinhole shots. But last night I was thinking I have used a WLF on my Rolliechord for 3 decades and with my Hasselblad I use one except for the few times the camera is to high to look down on it then I use a prism, and ground glass on my view cameras. Why does the viewing system need to be the same on all types of cameras?
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Comments like this, and they seem to come often, seem to assume that everyone is in the postion to buy a type of camera as soon as it comes out and knows they want or need that type of camera at that time. As more and more good compact and mirrorless cameras come out more people will think about purchasing them. And there are always new people entering or re-entering any particular segment of the market. For example I may be interested in purchasing a WP P&S this coming summer but they have been out for years, just did not have the preceived need or desire until now.

There are lots of makes and models in every segment and some become more succesful than others. The Pentax's success will be some what limited by the lesser brand recognition etc but this should put the brand into more box stores and more people's minds.

Not the camera for me, at this time. But how many said that about either the K01 or the Q only to change their mind in a year or so.
You make good points...
However, it implies that there is no reward for innovation and being the first to do something. If that was the case, every company would offer the same products at the same time.

But there is a reward for being First...otherwise, there would be no need for Adorama or B&H to offer "Pre-Order". A large portion of customers want to be the first on their block to have the shiney new toy (not all, as you correctly pointed out).
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #240
Veteran Member

Wow....

It's been up for almost a DAY now and Samsung hasn't copied it yet...amazing!

Nice machine. I like the black one.

Cheers
Cameron