Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If they release an MX-2 with a hotshoe and provisions for an EVF, i will have my doubts.
Pentax Ricoh actually have three current cameras now including the MX-1 with the 1/1.7" sensor. The other two have a hotshoe. One has an EVF.

The Ricoh GRD IV, same sensor size as the MX-1 but with much better 'enthusiast' controls. Although the GRD is a 28mm prime only and no EVF.

If you really need the EVF on a 1/1.7" sensor zoom camera from Pentax Ricoh, you can get their other offering, the GXR S10 which has 24-72mm zoom and can use the VF-2 optional electronic viewfinder. Again with the superior controls over the MX-1.

01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
MX-1 specs: Compatibility with Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards
Every Pentax digital camera I have owned has worked with my Eye-Fi card. Actually, the vast majority of cameras which take SD cards will work with the Eye-Fi.

However, if one checks out the threads here on the Eye-Fi, it becomes apparent that most of us who use it have very mixed feelings about it. It is dreadfully slow for any file other than the smallest jpeg, and your camera has to stay "on" until the download is complete. I only use it with the "raw" download off, and shoot Raw+ with a 2mb Jpeg. Only the jpeg is transmitted over wi-fi. I hope the camera manufacturers who are including this capability improve on the Eye-Fi pro 8 I have.

P.S. Looks like 1) Users here are not the only ones with speed issues and 2) this is not the only forum where people complain about the subject product. Eye-Fi Forums • View topic - X2 Product is unusable! I want a refund . . .

Last edited by GeneV; 01-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.
01-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you really need the EVF on a 1/1.7" sensor zoom camera from Pentax Ricoh, you can get their other offering, the GXR S10 which has 24-72mm zoom and can use the VF-2 optional electronic viewfinder. Again with the superior controls over the MX-1.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

So, Pentax-Ricoh have an EVF add-on (the $200 Ricoh VF-2) in their line-up and still made the MX-1 such that it lacks the necessary pins and hot shoe to support it? That's how many years after the Ricoh takeover now? I really don't get it. Except for focus peaking, I still can't see the synergy at work. And time is running out for sure ...
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #334
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

So, Pentax-Ricoh have an EVF add-on (the $200 Ricoh VF-2) in their line-up and still made the MX-1 such that it lacks the necessary pins and hot shoe to support it? That's how many years after the Ricoh takeover now? I really don't get it. Except for focus peaking, I still can't see the synergy at work. And time is running out for sure ...
The GXR feels much more responsive (in terms of AF and LV) even compared to the Pentax K-01. I don't think Pentax and Ricoh have combined their technologies yet, I also don't think it's as easy as it sounds from a development standpoint.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #335
Veteran Member

hat's how many years after the Ricoh takeover now? I really don't get it. Except for focus peaking, I still can't see the synergy at work. And time is running out for sure ...
It looks like apathy / incompetence to me.
01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #336
Veteran Member

So, Pentax-Ricoh have an EVF add-on (the $200 Ricoh VF-2) in their line-up and still made the MX-1 such that it lacks the necessary pins and hot shoe to support it? That's how many years after the Ricoh takeover now? I really don't get it. Except for focus peaking, I still can't see the synergy at work.
The MX-1 is designed for those who don't need/use a hotshoe or EVF.

The GRD is designed for those who do need/use a hotshoe.

The GXR S10 is for those who need/use both.

NB, The GRD has been around Ricoh-land for a lot longer than Pentax and it has no support for the VF-2 either, so it's obviously not a matter of synergy. The EVF port would add an unwanted 0.5cm to the height of the GRD like it does on the GXR.
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM - 4 Likes   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably Ricoh and Pentax are controlled by the Illuminati, who clearly wish to suppress Pentaxians to achieve their own nefarious objectives in the New World Order.

WE MUST FIGHT.

Come on, we can't take this sitting dQ#$%***

NO CARRIER
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #338
Pentaxian

This sort of thing is not as drop in as you think.
Easily 1-1.5yrs to integrate something in.

Business case (few months) > engineering study (1-3mths) > engineering prototype (tooling/pcba/mechanicals) (3-9mths) > verification builds+qualification (3-6mths) > final product

You skip a few steps and save some time if its based off existing products/pcba/mechanicals

01-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I dont think I'm the only one who wished the this and the K-01 could get together to create a 'K-5 sensored' MILC that looked like this MX-1
*sniff*
Really? Everyone is going retro, so where's the fun in that? K-01's styling is ahead of the curve: in a few years it will be regarded as a classic.
01-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Interesting is the comparison against the Leica X2

The MX-1 is a design copycat of the Leica X / Leica X2. Same size, design, weight. Except that the X is APS-C while the MX-1 has a tiny sensor.
Isn't the K-01 a better comparison to the Leica?
01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #341
Veteran Member

I'm starting to think this is just a pentax version of a GRD with a zoom lens and without a hotshoe. I really am starting to dig this camera, the sample images were quite nice and the all brass body is a big plus, people love there GRD's. My Q is nice, but the whole changing lens has lost it's fun for me and at most times I wish I just had a flat fixed zoom lens...
01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Really? Everyone is going retro, so where's the fun in that? K-01's styling is ahead of the curve: in a few years it will be regarded as a classic.
Sure, as classic as faux woodgrain on cars.
01-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It can't take much engineering to put a hot shoe on a body, and it actually adds to the retro panache. A hot shoe over the lens has all kinds of uses, maybe even an OVF like the one for the Q or the many inexpensive after-market models. Sure, most people aren't that crazy for a simple OVF, but adding this one inexpensive feature (a shoe) to the camera opens up all kinds of possibilities.

[As an aside, I never really knew how useful a simple optical finder could be until I started shooting for fun with an old Graflex. Dial in F16, so you have the AF of the 1940s, then frame with the optical finder and you can see how they actually shot sports with the thing.]
01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Sure, as classic as faux woodgrain on cars.
As it happens, one of Newson's criticisms of some other cameras was of their use of faux leather to achieve a retro look. The rubberised grip of the K-01 is plainly rubber: no pretense, no apologies.
01-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX-1 is designed for those who don't need/use a hotshoe or EVF.

The GRD is designed for those who do need/use a hotshoe.

The GXR S10 is for those who need/use both.

NB, The GRD has been around Ricoh-land for a lot longer than Pentax and it has no support for the VF-2 either, so it's obviously not a matter of synergy. The EVF port would add an unwanted 0.5cm to the height of the GRD like it does on the GXR.
Do you really think the GRD is a comparable product to the MX-1 except for the hot shoe? It is a single FL, and its list is $100 more.

GXR S10 kit is more like it, but still more money. You are not paying that for the hot shoe, though. If you are buying into the GXR system, you are getting a whole lot more options. Talk about "feature insurance" and options which the user may or may not need....there you get the option of a different sensor.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-10-2013 at 07:58 AM.