Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #391
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
ah man, sigma is great, but even the sigma dslr shooters agree that there lenses are not so great. I think thats why they are going with the classy look on there lenses now, photographers are materialistic, they'll buy anything that looks good. It's why bad companies are still in business... It's why I dont list any of my EXIF data on flickr, the ones who complain about equipment and who makes the "best" equipment are usually the bad photographers, I tell people photography is a balance between art and science, the grey area is the most important area of photography, quit being nerds and be an artist, quit being an artist and be a nerd... People learn to use the equipment you have before complaining about anything else, go to the Q forum and look at the images, 1/2.3 sensor, quit complaining and learn to shoot... Especially those of you with thousands of posts, go out and shoot and turn your laptop off...
Thanks. I post when I am stuck in front of a computer and am usually multitasking. When I have time to "go out and shoot" I usually do so and enjoy it a great deal. I appreciate your encouragement though. On the topic at hand, the MX1 is certainly nice looking and in keeping with the Retro move in camera design, but I already have enough cameras that I do not use enough already and two of them are alternatives to P&S cameras. The K-01 sensor is brilliant and I am uncertain how the MX1 can compete with it other than in size, and my Q has it beat on the size and has interchangeable lenses too.


Last edited by Docrwm; 01-11-2013 at 07:49 AM.
01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #392
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,767
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. I post when I am stuck in front of a computer and am usually multitasking. When I have time to "go out and shoot" I usually do so and enjoy it a great deal. I appreciate your encouragement though.
Yeah, and on top of everything else, it is winter, and a nasty storm just came in. It has me thinking more about flash than "going out" and shooting.
01-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #393
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yeah, and on top of everything else, it is winter, and a nasty storm just came in. It has me thinking more about flash than "going out" and shooting.
... you are really obsessed with those flashes aren't you .

It's winter and it's raining over here ... nasty light and weather for any good outdoor pics ... plus I'm "working" .

...

Out of topic ... did the guy actually got banned!?
01-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #394
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
This is definitely the most intelligent MX-1 discussion on the web, which prompted me to register and share my thoughts. I have owned many Pentax and Ricohs of yore. From ist D, DS, K7, K5, GRD2, 3, 4 to recently Q1. However I no longer own any of them.

I've always liked Pentax for its design, strong build, value, and lens offerings. Pentax has a unique edge compared with mainstream makers.

I think MX-1 leveraged strength of Pentax very well.

Who else will make a camera with BRASS plates? That's what makes Pentax cool. Who knows how long it will take for brass to show, but it's something else knowing that it will, and you've got a solidly built camera. For me it inspires me to go anywhere and take more pictures, though I've never had MX before (owned Canon AE, Minolta x700, and Voigtlanders) but I appreciate values of design of vintage cameras. Two years from now a used MX-1 showing brass may fetch more than the new ones. Hehe.

I would want the spec of MX-1 to be outstanding, 1" sensor with 24-120 F2.0 or GRD 5 like with 28mm F1.0. But who really expected it? Besides, Pentax does not have a history of surprises (Q being exception), It's always worked on a proven formula with solid design. They did not invent good viewfinders or weather sealing, but they improved the mid-level DSLR by adding good viewfinder and weather sealing. Neither did the original MX did not break any grounds in specification. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was the LX that was the flagship SLR.

Which brought up the question, what does Pentax have in store for LX?

At 500, I can understand. Is the price too high for average consumer who does not know what DNG raw is? Is it too high for average consumer who thinks (small) size is everything? Is it too high for average consumer who never had a manual focus SLR and does not know the heritage? Is it too high for someone who wants a viewfinder? Yes, yes, yes.... but just like Pentax K-5 and K-30, Ricoh GRD and even Q, MX-1 has its place. Good design has value. That's why more expensive stuff generally look nicer than their cheaper counterparts. The Pentax MX-1 is not intended for average consumer, neither was GRD, or Q, or K-5 even. It's made for one that appreciates its values.

Lets look at its values.

BRASS plates (!) and strong design
Proven 1/1.7 inch sensor BSI CMOS (does not sets it apart from competition)
28-112mm f1.8-f2.5 (we know the Oly lens is a good one, but is this the same lens?)
I like the design on the back of the camera. No fiddly uncomfortable back wheel like the XZ-2 and the Canon's.
DNG raw!
I like the fact that it does NOT have a Canon G series viewfinder -it would offer no value whatsoever and add to the size (don't get me wrong, I love good VF. I have owned X-10 and have X-20 on pre order).
1/8000 shutter. I'm not aware if there are other cameras in this class that can do that.

Negatives:
No control ring around the lens.
No option for EVF. (I dont think this will add much size, however I understand the cost for EVF would be substantial because the unit will not be shares with other cameras, unlike XZ-2)
Would like it more if it's full metal construction on the back.
No GRD like interface and features


I would expect the performance of this camera more or less in line with XZ-2.

I'm thinking about pre-order, but not pulled the trigger yet, I dont think there's a need to, because it's not going to be as popular as X-20. Plus, I've preordered X20...

01-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #395
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
... you are really obsessed with those flashes aren't you .

It's winter and it's raining over here ... nasty light and weather for any good outdoor pics ... plus I'm "working" .

...

Out of topic ... did the guy actually got banned!?
Apparently both his last posts required editing and what we see is the watered down version
Each has a message below the text that says something like this -
"Last edited by Ash; Today at 06:34 AM. "
01-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #396
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I don't see much point in using a larger sensor with a slower lens.

Pentax MX-1 has a equivalent lens of 28-112mm f/8.4-11.6, and Sony RX100 28-100mm f/4.9-13.4, so you don't get much advantage of the larger sensor.
The image quality from the RX100 is on a different level than any 1/1.7" camera, slower lens and all. The noise is much less and resolution is much higher due to the larger sensor.

Compare the XZ-2, which has the same sensor and practically the same lens as the MX1, to the RX100. You will find that the RX100 clearly bests it IQ wise (price and handling are different issues)
01-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #397
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
A lot of people compare 1/1.7 sensor to the 1 inch. The 1 inch is a better sensor, no question about it, if you don't mind the size of bigger camera given the equivalent aperture.

But RX100 is NOT a camera I would ever consider. It offers very little to encourage process of photography, which I love.
01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #398
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
QuoteOriginally posted by brelip Quote
A lot of people compare 1/1.7 sensor to the 1 inch. The 1 inch is a better sensor, no question about it, if you don't mind the size of bigger camera given the equivalent aperture.

But RX100 is NOT a camera I would ever consider. It offers very little to encourage process of photography, which I love.
What doesn't the RX100 offer that the MX-1 does besides the tilting screen? Both shoot PASM...heck the RX100 even has manual focus and I don't know if its been confirmed that the MX-1 does that.

01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #399
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,738
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The image quality from the RX100 is on a different level than any 1/1.7" camera, slower lens and all. The noise is much less and resolution is much higher due to the larger sensor.

Compare the XZ-2, which has the same sensor and practically the same lens as the MX1, to the RX100. You will find that the RX100 clearly bests it IQ wise (price and handling are different issues)
But as RX100 has slower lens (at the long end), you need to use two stops higher ISO to get the same shutter speed as on MX1. I can't see much difference in IQ with XZ2 on ISO100 and RX100 on ISO400.

In good light where both can be used on ISO100 RX100 has a small advantage of the larger sensor, but even Pentax Q produce images good enough for large prints in good light.
01-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #400
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
What doesn't the RX100 offer that the MX-1 does besides the tilting screen? Both shoot PASM...heck the RX100 even has manual focus and I don't know if its been confirmed that the MX-1 does that.
It doesn't have manual focus if I got it right. You need to push "ze buthons".
01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #401
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
What doesn't the RX100 offer that the MX-1 does besides the tilting screen? Both shoot PASM...heck the RX100 even has manual focus and I don't know if its been confirmed that the MX-1 does that.
BRASS plates (!) and strong design
28-112mm f1.8-f2.5 (f2.5 at tele end is much better than 4.9! and more background blur)
I like the design on the back of the camera. No fiddly uncomfortable back wheel like the XZ-2 and the Canon's.
DNG raw!
1/8000 shutter. I'm not aware if there are other cameras in this class that can do that.

RX-100 is simply boring.
01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #402
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missoula, MT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by brelip Quote
BRASS plates (!) and strong design
28-112mm f1.8-f2.5 (f2.5 at tele end is much better than 4.9! and more background blur)
I like the design on the back of the camera. No fiddly uncomfortable back wheel like the XZ-2 and the Canon's.
DNG raw!
1/8000 shutter. I'm not aware if there are other cameras in this class that can do that.

RX-100 is simply boring.
Brass plates and design aren't going to help someone take better pictures though, it's a nice design, but it's yet another similarly spec'd high end P&S. Someone could buy the XZ-2 right now, and get similar results. (The Oly has a HS and VF port, top shutter speed is slower though)

My guess all Pentax did, is source the electrical components for Oly, Sanyo, etc, and build a case for it, although I think the LCD looks tacked on and doesn't fit well with the design. Adding 'brass' on top of the flash screams tacky IMO.
01-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #403
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
Brass plates and design aren't going to help someone take better pictures though, it's a nice design, but it's yet another similarly spec'd high end P&S. Someone could buy the XZ-2 right now, and get similar results. (The Oly has a HS and VF port, top shutter speed is slower though)

My guess all Pentax did, is source the electrical components for Oly, Sanyo, etc, and build a case for it, although I think the LCD looks tacked on and doesn't fit well with the design. Adding 'brass' on top of the flash screams tacky IMO.
I don't get you ... from sample images and people that actually used the camera, this camera has very good IQ.
That to me already translates to "this camera takes good pictures" ... why all the fuss about it!?

OK, it doesn't have a flash shoe ... what else is bad about it that will cripple you from taking "better pictures" (and don't say EVF please)!?
01-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #404
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
Olympus 6-24mm F1.4-1.8 (1/1.7")?????????????So-net???

new Olympus lens patent 6-24mm F1.4-1.8 (1/1.7")

12 elements in 8 groups
5 aspherical elements
1 Super ED glass element
01-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #405
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Maybe I overestimated the size; and I definitely forgot to mention I was talking about a constant f/2.0 24-100mm lens (for a larger, 1" sensor).
I think it could be real
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, mx-1, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645D being discontinued - for new model? interested_observer Pentax Medium Format 9 09-28-2012 11:35 AM
Help, where do I get the camera model signature images? BirdDude007 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 05-24-2012 04:03 PM
K20D or another model (new to Pentax)? TheGreatGonzo Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 03-27-2012 09:17 AM
645 Film camera. Which model? Joburger Pentax Medium Format 26 04-06-2011 03:54 PM
Camera Kings Import model? ncrecordkeeper Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-16-2010 03:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top