Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by donghao Quote
Well, K-01 would have been a success if it looked like this one...
Agreed.

01-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
no OVF, no EVF, minimum aperture f8
Compared to the non-existent-Pentax FF?
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Wow! Isn't that their first attempt at a "photographer's compact" (if we don't include the Q) since the 750z? And with a relatively large sensor! I look forward to see how this camera compares to LX-7 and similar serious compacts.
You are bang on re: 750z - IIRC that was the last compact with aperture control.
I was going to complain about the lack of time-lapse, but looks like it is an available movie mode.

Noise reduction will be the interesting part - DPrev indicates no customisable settings, but firmware is not final.

Flash maybe wireless?

Not bad...Also not sure about reusing the name.
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's nice to see that Pentax finally release a P&S that actually can fun to use. As Pentax in the past has designed P&S lenses for other manufacturers, I wonder if the MX-1/XZ-1 is a Olympus or Pentax design?

Well, most of the shared optics between Pentax/Tokina is Pentax design. AFAIK only the DA 12-24 is a Tokina design.

DA 10-17 - Pentax design
DA 12-24 - Tokina design
DA* 16-50 - Pentax design
DA* 50-135 - Pentax design
DA 35 macro - Pentax design
DA 100 macro - Pentax design
The DA*'s too? That certainly seems like Pentax "giving away the farm," but I'm sure kunzie's right and Pentax never puts their name on a lens (or camera) that isn't 100% Pentax. That's just someone else making stuff up on the internet to make kunzie feel bad.

Seriously, aside from flaming the fanboi, it makes absolute financial sense for Tokina to offer the same lenses with OEM designations (like the Pentax, Sony and Nikkor 18-135's with the otherwise mysterious "DC" motor) and even more sense for the OEMs to buy them with a few customizations to fill out their lens lines. When it comes to compacts, the same can be said to maximize profits. My point is not that Pentax is doing something wrong or bad, but rather that it clearly shows what Pentax feels is important when you compare the prices and specs.

01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I was joking -- note the typo: 1/1.7', instead of 1/1.7".

More seriously, this feels to me like a lame attempt to chase the success of the Olympus OM-D.
The Olympus OM-D is a M4/3rd interchangeable lens camera. The Pentax MX-1 is an advanced P&S camera. Big difference.
The comparable camera race with the MX-1 is more like with Canon G12 or G1X or other similar advanced P&S.
01-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #81
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH Quote
However,is it me or do the lens of the Pentax MX-1 and Olympus XZ-1 and ZX-2 look remarkably similar?? The coatings are different but the appearance of the barrel and the specifications look identical.

I wonder if the same OEM is behind the basic lens design??
Pentax lens
28mm 35mm 50mm 60mm 85mm 112mm
F1.8 F1.9 F2.1 F2.2 F2.3 F2.5
11e in 8g (4 aspherical elements)

What about XZ-2?
It seems to me XZ-2 lens is brigther

Its maximum aperture stays better than F2.2 until around 100mm equivalent
• 8 groups, 11 elements with 6 aspheric surfaces

Last edited by ogl; 01-07-2013 at 01:07 PM.
01-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Compared to the non-existent-Pentax FF?
I have no idea what your reference means, if anything at all

01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The DA*'s too? That certainly seems like Pentax "giving away the farm," but I'm sure kunzie's right and Pentax never puts their name on a lens (or camera) that isn't 100% Pentax. That's just someone else making stuff up on the internet to make kunzie feel bad.
I think this is a great deal for Pentax, and on many of these lenses Pentax might have earned more money on lenses sold by Tokina than by Pentax own version.
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #84

People are complaining about the absence of OVF and hotshoe at DPreview...

Well , if they are that important, they must be far more popular than pentax DSLRs, right? ; )
But frankly speaking, I've never seen any people using external OVF or Flash with enthusiast compacts.

(but three Pentax DSLRs (including a K30) have I seen last month on my brother's wedding party!)
01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donghao Quote
People are complaining about the absence of OVF and hotshoe at DPreview...

Well , if they are that important, they must be far more popular than pentax DSLRs, right? ; )
But frankly speaking, I've never seen any people using external OVF or Flash with enthusiast compacts.

(but three Pentax DSLRs (including a K30) have I seen last month on my brother's wedding party!)
exactly what I was thinking... an EVF on a pocketable compact camera? what gives? Maybe if it was G12 or Coolpics 7700 sized maybe...
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
no OVF, no EVF, minimum aperture f8
Are you saying that you want smaller aperture than f/8 on a small sensor P&S?
01-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
The Olympus OM-D is a M4/3rd interchangeable lens camera. The Pentax MX-1 is an advanced P&S camera. Big difference.
I realize that. I'm talking about reviving an old model name, and the retro look that goes along with it. In the case of Olympus, they also managed to come up with a high-performing and arguably best-in-class camera with the OM-D, one that has drawn attention and buyers for its capabilities more than its looks. Pentax just copied the look of one of its old models onto a camera that does look nice for what it is, but the main appeal is the look. And they're rather behind on the retro-look-camera trend.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong and see this thing sell well.
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Are you saying that you want smaller aperture than f/8 on a small sensor P&S?
He's complaining about a P&S by comparing it with a full-frame sensor'd camera.
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #89
ogl
Banned

OVF and hotshoe for P&S cameras are almost useless. IMO.
99% of users never use it.
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Why the hell are you guys comparing an advanced P&S with a DSLR (ff or non-ff)!?
Why are you guys expecting more from a camera that can do so much? Critique the camera for what it is not for what you wish it will be.
I have rarely seen anyone using a viewfinder on a P&S ... and what's the point for manual zoom on a P&S!?

I guess some people will never be happy ...

Don't get this if you want something else!

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-08-2013 at 07:19 AM.