Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #46

I actually don't mind the looks of the K-01 I just wish it had an option for a view finder. It is fun to use and has great I.Q. It's just that my eyes aren't that good for composing with the LCD. I just love the option Olympus gives it's users of the Pen series and X series with the accessory port.

01-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Sounds good.

Can the flash be tilted-up manually for bounce?
Yes, you can tilt it up a bit, like the one on the little Q
01-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #48

I will buy one just for the sake of the similar MX letters as the original MX. I have two of them in my shelf... ;-)
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Excellent. Thanks!

01-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #50

I like the MX-1. As a 2nd camera, what would be the plus and minus of this over the K-01. It smees to me that the interchange able lens of the K-01 would be a huge plus over the MX-1. Just interested in your thoughts. Thanks
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm...the flash on the Q tilting up?
I'm holding my Q and I don't see how that is done.
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can aim the Q flash towards the ceiling? Wait, are you talking about the Q10? I had the original Q and I didn't think it was possible. This makes such a huge difference in flash photography that I'm amazed more cameras don't include this.

01-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
You can aim the Q flash towards the ceiling? Wait, are you talking about the Q10? I had the original Q and I didn't think it was possible. This makes such a huge difference in flash photography that I'm amazed more cameras don't include this.
Does it really? I think that you have to have quite low ceiling... tiny flash dont have much power for bouncing.
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #54
Veteran Member

As much as I like the output of my wife's RX100, to my mind the MX-1 is by a long way, the coolest compact around.

It might be pushing it a bit, but it is the VW Phaeton's XZ-2 to the Bentley Continental's MX-1: Much the same underpinnings, but a very different feel.

It isn't a prefect reference by any means, as the MX-1 can be a far more populist choice than a Bentley!
01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mdodrill Quote
I like the MX-1. As a 2nd camera, what would be the plus and minus of this over the K-01. It smees to me that the interchange able lens of the K-01 would be a huge plus over the MX-1. Just interested in your thoughts. Thanks
Advantages:
Size and weight!
Tiltable screen, allowing you to shoot from the waist, thereby keeping the camera steady. Also makes it more discreet for street shooting.
No interchangeable lenses = no LBA

Disadvantages:
Much smaller sensor, so IQ is not going to be as good (although it should be slightly better than the Q). Narrow dof will be a challenge.
No hotshoe.
It's going to be harder to manually focus (no form of focus ring).
No interchangeable lenses
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #56
Pentaxian

This thing looks amazing! WOW. Have been pondering of getting a P&S for occasional shooting...well now it looks like good time to get one
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
It might be pushing it a bit, but it is the VW Phaeton's XZ-2 to the Bentley Continental's MX-1: Much the same underpinnings, but a very different feel.
Very much the same underpinnings. Same lens, same screen (well, I don't think the Pentax has a touch-layer), same sensor... most likely made by the same 3rd party company in the same factory, just like the X-90 and all the other previous Pentax "carbon copy cams" are. The major spec advantages of the XZ-2 over the MX-1 (touchscreen, lensring control dial, hotshoe and optional EVF) tell you what Olympus and Pentax think their users will want at that strikingly similar price. Still, considering how many of the Pentax consumer-zoom lenses are rebadged Tokinas, I can't say this means the MX-1 won't be a good camera!

Last edited by panoguy; 01-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
considering how many of the Pentax consumer-zoom lenses are rebadged Tokinas
Zero?
There are few shared optical designs, some made by Pentax, some by Tokina; there is one rebadged Tamon (which Pentax couldn't be bothered to design it themselves) - but no Pentax is a rebadged Tokina.
01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It does look nice. Would just be nice if Pentax had pushed it a little further to make it stand out specs wise as well as design wise.
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Wow, this thing looks amazing, really fantastic design. I can't wait to add one to my bag. I wonder if this will hinder Q sales at all? I think my Q will get a lot of shelf time once I go grab this camera. Or at least until I get the 06 Zoom and Q-K adapter (very low on the priority list though...and this camera just jumped to the top!) It is not what I envisioned when I was dreaming of a digital MX. I was dreaming of an ILC of course, but this will do wonders! Oh, and yes, if the K-01 was a bigger version of this in terms of styling, I would have bought one. :P

When is it shipping?

In manual mode, do you think the EV dial can be used to control shutter while the main dial is for aperture?

Pentax! TAKE MY MONEY!!!! I need another MX on the shelf... :P