Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
OVF and hotshoe for P&S cameras are almost useless. IMO.
99% of users never use it.
Why do you think that?.

01-07-2013, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The DA*'s too? That certainly seems like Pentax "giving away the farm," but I'm sure kunzie's right and Pentax never puts their name on a lens (or camera) that isn't 100% Pentax. That's just someone else making stuff up on the internet to make kunzie feel bad.

Seriously, aside from flaming the fanboi, it makes absolute financial sense for Tokina to offer the same lenses with OEM designations (like the Pentax, Sony and Nikkor 18-135's with the otherwise mysterious "DC" motor) and even more sense for the OEMs to buy them with a few customizations to fill out their lens lines. When it comes to compacts, the same can be said to maximize profits. My point is not that Pentax is doing something wrong or bad, but rather that it clearly shows what Pentax feels is important when you compare the prices and specs.
I'm not making things up nor am I guessing, those lenses have a completely different construction from the Tokina versions, and are assembled in Vietnam - by Pentax. Also, there are Pentax patents for some of those optical designs.
I never claimed that "Pentax never puts their name on a lens (or camera) that isn't 100% Pentax"; in fact I said the contrary, by mentioning the rebadged Tamron and by saying that some of those optical designs are Tokina's.

You are indeed flaming, but I'm no fanboy. Making up things, and fighting well known facts won't be made easier by name calling.
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #93

" Jan 7th, 2013 12:49PM
This looks terrible. The modern plastic lens does not match the rest of the camera front. Why not put a hotshoe? That seems like the simplest thing to add to a camera and there is a void where it should be. "

This is what I wrote on the news story but I just deleted it. The camera is growing on me a little. All I hope for now is that the lens is really good and sharp and that the image quality is great. If it doesn't have impressive image quality, I won't be impressed.
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #94
Veteran Member

I think it's great to see that they have announced this today, and it's already live on the website and everything appears to be in order. Seems like their launches are a little more pulled together than before.

01-07-2013, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I realize that. I'm talking about reviving an old model name, and the retro look that goes along with it. In the case of Olympus, they also managed to come up with a high-performing and arguably best-in-class camera with the OM-D, one that has drawn attention and buyers for its capabilities more than its looks. Pentax just copied the look of one of its old models onto a camera that does look nice for what it is, but the main appeal is the look. And they're rather behind on the retro-look-camera trend.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong and see this thing sell well.
I think it will sell well personally. I'm looking past the MX name and just seeing a great looking and performing Pentax camera. But I agree, the MX should have been used on an enthusiasts ILC, not an enthusiasts fixed lens compact. I wrote in my blog about it (link in my sig) of what I think the MX-1 could have been... but essentially the coles notes is that if they styled the K-01 like this and put an EVF in it, then they would have a cracker of a camera that would have appealed to enthusiasts, MILC users, hipsters, and nostalgic shooters who grew up with the MX, with the advantage of the whole K-mount system. But alas... they gave us a yellow brick road. Granted that was under Hoya...

Maybe an LX-01 will come a knocking?! APS-C mirrorless EVF 24mp...
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #96
ogl
Banned

Friends, wake up and realize!

Pentax returns to base with new high-end compact from the time of PENTAX Optio A40/Optio 750Z!
But A40 had no RAW.

Q10 and MX-1 are the solid things from Pentax. It's Pentax's come-back!!!

Last edited by ogl; 01-07-2013 at 12:22 PM.
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #97
Pentaxian

It's definitely not a bad sign.

01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
exactly what I was thinking... an EVF on a pocketable compact camera? what gives? Maybe if it was G12 or Coolpics 7700 sized maybe...
I use mine all the time on my X-Z1. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the option.
01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot stuff. Ever since I've been toting my K30 around, my dad has been mighty curious about it. Perhaps getting the MX-1 for him as a gift will get him off my back.
01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #100
owl
Forum Member

Read the DPReview, why do folks insist on scaling f number based on crop factor? Crop factor has zero to do with f/# or depth of field. According to DPReview, the effective f/# starts at F/8.4. This is folly. OK, depth of field varies with focal length so I kind of get it, greater crop factors lead to smaller focal lengths to get the same field of view but that is where the similarities end. This camera will have the same bokeh at 24mm f2.5 as any other 24mm f/2.5 lens will, crop factor notwithstanding.
01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #101

I must be the one percent. I use mine all the time on my X-Z1 and wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the option. These are more advanced point and shoots and are also bigger than most. I have also used the hot shoe to mount my flash for off camera ( Shooting with a K5 ) when I didn't have a flash bracket.
01-07-2013, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #102
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Why do you think that?.
I think NOTHING. it's the same thing for me as Q-K adapter.

I used P&S camera just for quick and easy shooting thoughtless and for compactness. As 99% of users all around the world.

I never use flash with my DSLR cameras. And I have no flash.
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #103
Veteran Member

a hot shoe would have been nice for my Elinchrom system.
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think NOTHING. it's the same thing for me as Q-K adapter.

I used P&S camera just for quick and easy shooting and for compactness. As 99% of users all around the world.

I never use flash with my DSLR cameras. And I have no flash.
Relax, I'm on you side. It was just a joke.

The picture is meant to make it obvious how absurd it is to use a large flash on a small P&S.
01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by owl Quote
Read the DPReview, why do folks insist on scaling f number based on crop factor? Crop factor has zero to do with f/# or depth of field.
That's wrong. The DOF changes with sensor size, because the CoC changes with sensor size.

N = f/#, c = CoC, f = focal length, s = distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field