Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, it is an Olympus XZ-2 in a nicer (although heavier) body and at the same price.

Not bad but another enthusiast P&S and nothing to write home about.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Not exactly what I was thinking of when dreaming of a digital revival of the MX...
I am actually worried.

If Pentax/Ricoh were ambitious in any way, they would have reserved the labels "MX" and "LX" for substantial innovation, not just a me-too P&S. So, they can't be ambitious like I wish they were.

01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
He's complaining about a P&S by comparing it with a full-frame sensor'd camera.
I'm not complaining, was only pointing out shortcomings. I'll also point out that Ricoh could have employed the gapless rear lcd, which would lessen the impact of no EVF or OVF for daylight shooting, or the "white magic" screen that Ricoh already uses in their GR IV model.
01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #108
Administrator
Site Webmaster

MX-1 full specs are now posted here:

Pentax MX-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am actually worried. If Pentax/Ricoh were ambitious in any way, they would have reserved the labels "MX" and "LX" for substantial innovation, not just a me-too P&S. So, they can't be ambitious like I wish they were.
I agree. It seems that every recent release since the K-30 really leaves you longing for more. I'm going to keep my mouth shut until this time next year, though, when the FF had better either be out or announced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #109
Pentaxian

It seems their most ambitious projects will have unimaginative names. Maybe it's not the best marketing move, but I wouldn't be worried about that.

01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Ok, it is an Olympus XZ-2 in a nicer (although heavier) body and at the same price.

I am actually worried.

If Pentax/Ricoh were ambitious in any way, they would have reserved the labels "MX" and "LX" for substantial innovation, not just a me-too P&S. So, they can't be ambitious like I wish they were.
If the Pentax marketing staff decided to re-use old names for the top-of-the-line cameras, then there wouldn't be much need for a Pentax marketing staff, would there?
01-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #111
Veteran Member

What marketing?
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Hmm... the question for me, and many others I suspect, is whether the MX represents any kind of practical improvement over the Q. Yes, the Q has interchangeable lenses and the MX has a fixed zoom. But the 01 prime is f/1.9 at 47mm and the 02 zoom is f/2.8-4 from something like 28 to 85mm. The 06 zoom is a constant f/2.8 from 85 to 250mm.

But the MX's specs do look suspiciously like those of the XZ-2.

01-07-2013, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Veteran Member

a compact with the name MX is going to get the nostalgic shooters. Maybe people who grew up in the 70's who don't really shoot a whole lot, go into the store to buy a camera, and see a unit on the shelf named "MX" that bears resemblance to the their old camera. They will buy it because they will remember about how much fun they had with their old film MX. it's brilliant really, especially since its a more advanced compact. This is a camera designed to get people back into the Pentax brand. its product designed to move off the shelves and grow the name again.

now if they did that with a DSLR, I dont' think they would get the same market penetration. The name is more for impulse buyers that remember the film days. It worked for all of us, thats why we jumped in this thread. It worked on me, I'm buying one. If it was named "Pentax Optio 159239" would I buy it? Probably wouldn't even think about it...much like the other Optio announced today. But the MX is causing a lot of hype. When was the last time you saw a point and shoot get this much attention? A DSLR or MILC would have been on page 15 by now for sure. This was a good decision.

so I say again... Pentax TAKE MY MONEY!

why am I sitting here? I need to go take some photos.
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #114
NKK
Inactive Account

Great with a new P&S that looks great.
I see alot of people comparing it to the G12? I know a couple of people that are very happy with their G12, so that just make it more interesting 😊
Is that based on sensor size or?
01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #115
Pentaxian

I am actually worried.

Agreed, although the camera looks good, and the functionality may be great, the sensor size (less than half that of the RX100) is a disappointment, and the use of the MX label is not promising.
Unless, of course, the LX badge is indeed reserved for greater things to come, which makes this choice kind of logical.

I'd still have preferred the 1" sensor. And yes, the option of an OVF.
Perhaps I'm not the audience, perhaps I should simply settle for the dp2 Merrill. I wish Pentax would turn their magic on the Merrill sensor, but that's another story.

Last edited by Smolk; 01-07-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: mistake
01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #116
ogl
Banned

Canon S110 has hot-shoe?
01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #117
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
Is that based on sensor size or?
Yup, they have the same sensor size and similar features by the looks of it. Except that the G13 will be coming out this year...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, they have the same sensor size and similar features by the looks of it. Except that the G13 will be coming out this year...
G15 is out now. No G13
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #119
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Relax, I'm on you side. It was just a joke.

The picture is meant to make it obvious how absurd it is to use a large flash on a small P&S.
I'm not tense.
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That's wrong. The DOF changes with sensor size, because the CoC changes with sensor size.

N = f/#, c = CoC, f = focal length, s = distance.

Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe this is only true is aperture, focal length, or focus distance changes.

This quote is taken from the article you linked.
" If pictures taken from the same subject distance using the same focal length, are given the same enlargement, both final images will have the same DOF. The pictures from the two formats will differ because of the different angles of view. If the larger format is cropped to the captured area of the smaller format, the final images will have the same angle of view, have been given the same enlargement, and have the same DOF."