Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #121
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, they have the same sensor size and similar features by the looks of it. Except that the G13 will be coming out this year...
Thank you 😊

Looking great, but i fear the Price will be high here in Sweden 😞

01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #122
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are no cameras with 1" sensor except Sony and Nikon 1.
Nikon 1 has Aptina sensors and interchangeable lenses.
RX100 has not too fast lens at long side, a bit shorter lens and no tilting LCD.

And it seems to me Sony doesn't sell this sensor to another companies.

To make camera with such specs and 1" sensor = higher prices and bigger size.
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #123

Started laughing when I saw the images together. And would be a nice birthday present. Finally a good (non DSLR) digital camera of Pentax then I can finally drop the standard digital camera of Canon. My dad gave me a few months ago the old DSLR. So yeah it's fun then having them both next to each other.
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I believe this is only true is aperture, focal length, or focus distance changes.
Not true. From your quote, the enlargement will change inherently from using a different sensor. Their quote is accurate but worded poorly (it captures a few different things in a couple of sentences).

01-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
Started laughing when I saw the images together. And would be a nice birthday present. Finally a good (non DSLR) digital camera of Pentax then I can finally drop the standard digital camera of Canon. My dad gave me a few months ago the old DSLR. So yeah it's fun then having them both next to each other.

Yup. I gave my sister a Canon S100 for her birthday this past summer. It hurt to do so but there wasn't any Pentax available that would fit her needs.
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #126
ogl
Banned

Sony Global - CX-NEWS Vol.69

It's new sensor from Sony - the same as in Olympus XZ-2, Nikon P7700 and Samsung EX2F
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
RX100 has not too fast lens at long side, a bit shorter lens and no tilting LCD.

True. Canon G1X has 1.5" sensor but is a brick.

01-07-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Yea, I had the RX100 for a few months (before i stupidly lost it :'( ). My biggest gripe by far was how quickly the aperture dropped off. The IQ was as good as advertised, but it is far from a flawless camera.

This MX1 may not be a homerun, but i think it is a stand-up double, lol.

A con: I would gladly sacrifice some length on the long end to get to equiv. 24mm on the wide end as opposed to 28mm.

Pro: The tilting LCD is a definite +1 in my opinion. I love holding the camera at chest or waist level to get candids, and doing that with a flat LCD is just awkward and not fun.

A 1" sensor is sexy, but the $650 price tag is not. I am not looking for ultimate IQ with these types of cameras. I want something better than my camera phone, but not as good as my K-5.

Sometimes changing lenses is a drag. It's nice to have a fixed lens that will cover 90% of the focal lengths that you actually use.
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
24mm on the wide end as opposed to 28mm.
Absolutely. Personally I don't think I'll buy a fixed-lens-camera without 24mm... but it's way easier to sell a 28-1XO mm camera than it is to sell a 24-72mm camera.
01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I like cameras, so I like this... but am I the only one that doesn't understand this segment of camera? Surely the market for those willing to spend $500+ on a P&S is not very large? I have a Canon A3400 that takes a much better photo than my phone, was a fifth the cost, and fits in my pocket. It serves its purpose well, but I take my dSLR gear when I want to shoot properly. Then you have all the mirrorless systems available now for the same price. So who is this for?
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #131
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

A con: I would gladly sacrifice some length on the long end to get to equiv. 24mm on the wide end as opposed to 28mm.
the problem is the sensor and compactness.

to put 24 mm lens to camera with bigger sensor (bigger than 1/2.33" like in super-zoom P&S) means the shorter range at the long end.
otherwise, the camera will be bigger.

MX-1 has SR, by the way.
01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I like cameras, so I like this... but am I the only one that doesn't understand this segment of camera? Surely the market for those willing to spend $500+ on a P&S is not very large? I have a Canon A3400 that takes a much better photo than my phone, was a fifth the cost, and fits in my pocket. It serves its purpose well, but I take my dSLR gear when I want to shoot properly. Then you have all the mirrorless systems available now for the same price. So who is this for?
It's for someone who wants a similar size camera to your A3400 but better quality, with tilt screen, and stylish tank-like body.
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I believe this is only true is aperture, focal length, or focus distance changes.

This quote is taken from the article you linked.
" If pictures taken from the same subject distance using the same focal length, are given the same enlargement, both final images will have the same DOF. The pictures from the two formats will differ because of the different angles of view. If the larger format is cropped to the captured area of the smaller format, the final images will have the same angle of view, have been given the same enlargement, and have the same DOF."
There's an ongoing thread on this subject, started by Ash, which might be a more appropriate place for discussion of DOF vs FOV.
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #134
Veteran Member

the problem is the sensor and compactness.

to put 24 mm lens to camera with bigger sensor (bigger than 1/2.33" like in super-zoom P&S) means the shorter range at the long end.
otherwise, the camera will be bigger.

MX-1 has SR, by the way.
That was my point, I understand that you can't have both... I said i would sacrifice the long end for the wide end. Unfortunately, i think most of the non-enthusiast are enamored by the telephoto end, as ElJam points out. 24mm-72mm is such an attractive range for me.

SR is a nice touch.

Shoots DNG, which is also great Hopefully DxO or LR don't drag their feet on releasing their profile. But if they do, the PTLens guy is awesome to work with!
01-07-2013, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

Let me add this to my earlier remarks about the MX: I didn't think I'd buy a K-01 or a Q, either. But when the price came down, I bought both - and discovered how much fun they are. Do I see a $299 MX under my tree next Christmas?