Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH Quote
However,is it me or do the lens of the Pentax MX-1 and Olympus XZ-1 and ZX-2 look remarkably similar?? The coatings are different but the appearance of the barrel and the specifications look identical.
It's not just you, they are in fact identical, as well as 90% of the hardware. And since I have owned XZ-1 which has the same lens, I can say the lens is REMARKABLE! It is not a compact camera toy lens, it is well corrected, sharp across the frame at all apertures, and fast. Zooming mechanism is smooth and precise. Wise choice by Pentax to procure the same lens as in XZ-1 and XZ-2.

I just don't like the name... MX-1? I mean, I already have MX (1) that uses film though. If they are taking hardware from Olympus, why not naming ideas: how about MX-D Pentax? (Upgrade would be MX-D2 and so on.) Well, I guess this is better than picking *ist MX...

Anyway, following Panasonic/Leica sister models, I would expect MX-2 to be the based on Olympus XZ-3 and so on. So Pentax fellows, let's keep our eyes at Olympus from now on!

01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Do I see a $299 MX under my tree next Christmas?
guess that depends on how well it sells at the $500 launch price. The K-30 has fallen a bit in price but it's still up there because it's a good seller, I assume. The sales of the K-01 and Q didn't take off until the price was cut massively in response to the lack of interest at their original MRSPs. So... if you want a $299 MX-1 within a year, just hope that nobody buys the MX-1 in the months just after it comes out!
01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Hopefully this one doesn't end up like the i10
01-07-2013, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member

Very nice - but if they're priced the same, the Fuji X20 looks far more impressive...

01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #140
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji X20 - what is it?

The price?

X-Trans CMOS sensor 2/3" is really bad. A lot of marketing chatters...
The lens of X10 was very weak optically. IMO. Of course.

Last edited by ogl; 01-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #141
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since no one has said it yet.....

It's not a full frame though!
No but it is finally a serious P&S with the Pentax name on it.
01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #142
owl
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That's wrong. The DOF changes with sensor size, because the CoC changes with sensor size.

N = f/#, c = CoC, f = focal length, s = distance.

Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that a closer reading proves my point and in fact since the CoC is smaller, greater Bokeh should result according to this formula. Here is the relevant passage from the Wikipedia article you cited:

"If pictures are taken from the same distance using the same f-number, same focal length, and the final images are the same size, the smaller format has less DOF. If pictures taken from the same subject distance using the same focal length, are given the same enlargement, both final images will have the same DOF."

My point was same focal length/same F# = same DOF; of course this is a simplification and you have to move your feet, but the use of the crop factor on the F# is a greater simplification and suggests that a shallow depth of field is not possible and that is wrong.

01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
OVF and hotshoe for P&S cameras are almost useless. IMO.
99% of users never use it.
That's definitely true.
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
It's for someone who wants a similar size camera to your A3400 but better quality, with tilt screen, and stylish tank-like body.
Fair enough, but I guess the return on investment just isn't there for me. I'm sure it is built better than my Canon, but it is quite a bit bigger. I'd put that money towards a lens. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it exist and is an option but would rather see something I can replace my Canon with.
01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #145
Veteran Member

The price?
X20 $600, MX-1 $500 which is a small difference, $100 more is IMO justified for X20 based just on construction.

X-Trans CMOS sensor 2/3" is really bad.
I guess you are referring to poor RAW support for X-Trans sensors at this point? Other than that, X-Trans should perform well.

The lens of X10 was very weak optically.
Remains to be seen with new X-Trans. I must say XZ-1/XZ-1/MX-1 lens is really great, I was really impressed (I owned XZ-1). Comparisons on DPReview between X10 and XZ-1/XZ-2 appear to support your statement, but the difference is more pronounced with RAW I suspect due to suboptimal conversion, less so with JPEG. Since X20 will have no AA filter with the new X-Trans sensor all that remains to be retested. So many variables have changed and it is hard to judge X20 now, best we wait for tests of both X20 and MX-1. I guess in March we will know.
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #146
Veteran Member

I still think this one would be better....

Apologies for crudeness of image.

Regards
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Fuji X20 - what is it?

The price?

X-Trans CMOS sensor 2/3" is really bad. A lot of marketing chatters...
The lens of X10 was very weak optically. IMO. Of course.
Hmm, I didn't know my X10 was that bad . But I still quite like it. As a matter of fact, I used it a lot more often than my K5/IIs
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, I didn't know my X10 was that bad . But I still quite like it. As a matter of fact, I used it a lot more often than my K5/IIs
can't always believe the reviews. if we did the Q wouldn't have made it into the hands of those of us that own them... and love them dearly.
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
That's definitely true.
Never used the OVF on my X10, and never thought about buying a flash for it either
01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
It's not just you, they are in fact identical, as well as 90% of the hardware. And since I have owned XZ-1 which has the same lens, I can say the lens is REMARKABLE! It is not a compact camera toy lens, it is well corrected, sharp across the frame at all apertures, and fast. Zooming mechanism is smooth and precise. Wise choice by Pentax to procure the same lens as in XZ-1 and XZ-2.

I just don't like the name... MX-1? I mean, I already have MX (1) that uses film though. If they are taking hardware from Olympus, why not naming ideas: how about MX-D Pentax? (Upgrade would be MX-D2 and so on.) Well, I guess this is better than picking *ist MX...

Anyway, following Panasonic/Leica sister models, I would expect MX-2 to be the based on Olympus XZ-3 and so on. So Pentax fellows, let's keep our eyes at Olympus from now on!

I dunno, I suppose as long as it sounds different when you say it, with say an Mx-1, MX-2, etc series. (I didn't appreciate the K-m/K-x for that reason, since they sound just the same as KM and KX when you aren't seeing text. Obviously they're trying to reference the styling cues from the old metal SLR, rather than claim it's the same sort of thing, anyway.

I kind of like it and think it's a good spot in the market to represent. Ricoh's always seemed to make nice cameras in that general bracket.

For me, it's pretty much got to have some kind of viewfinder, though: me and bright light don't get along too well.
It'd be nice if they made a version on the sort-of-pseudo-rangefinder form:it'd go well with the brass body and all. (And considering how long I've had my old bridge camera, I wonder if the black paint would actually get honestly brassed in my pocket or something. )