Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I hate seeing the names of great Pentax SLRs like MX and LX being recycled on P&S cameras!
I think this is better described as an enthusiast compact rather than a P&S to be fair.

Although I do agree that classic DSLR names should remain the preserve of interchangeable lens cameras. K-1000 would perhaps have been a better to recycle.

Still, LX is still available to use on a classic-styled DSLR.

01-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #182
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This camera has zero chance to compete in its class. The Price will surely drop but I wouldn't waste money on sub par camera like this. Looks nice.

Sensor seems very weak.

01-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #183
Veteran Member

I dont think I'm the only one who wished the this and the K-01 could get together to create a 'K-5 sensored' MILC that looked like this MX-1
*sniff*
01-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
This camera has zero chance to compete in its class. The Price will surely drop but I wouldn't waste money on sub par camera like this. Looks nice.
The majority of cameras in this class has the same size on the sensor as MX-1, so don't think it will do any worse than the other ones.

01-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #185
Pentaxian

I think that we should first see how it does, before judge it to be a failure. I like this retro look. There is lot to like, and perhaps it draws new customers eye too.
01-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #186
Veteran Member

This camera has zero chance to compete in its class.
Couldn't say that for a camera that hasn't even been released. A lot of bashers also laughed at the K-01 due to its design; now, little by little, it's gaining recognition for its performance.

Sensor seems very weak.
Couldn't say that for the Q....

Re: Q with 06 lens versus 5DmkII with 70-200 IS II: Pentax Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using the MX name for a compact camera (1/1.7", 28-112/8.4-11.7 FF equiv.) is a bit odd.
Additionally, the MX-1 seems to be an Olympus XZ-2 clone.
Probably, the XZ-2 and the MX-1 can be traced back to the same manufacturer.
Sanyo?
So, Pentax at least had to spend not so much in R&D.

01-08-2013, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
So, Pentax at least had to spend not so much in R&D.
And if they can get more money from less costs, then that means more resources for the higher-end (e.g. ILC systems) products

Rather than making the same Optios (with exception to the WG series), this is a great move for Pentax-Ricoh.
01-08-2013, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
I still think this one would be better....

Apologies for crudeness of image.

Regards
Pentax fire Marc Newson and hire Dalí to design this one?
01-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
asaru: I too am not overjoyed by this reusing of old flagship designations, for cheap point&shoots.
Well, the already used the MX name for the weird MX 4
01-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #191
Veteran Member

The styling cues on the MX1 are interesting. If it is nearly the same camera as the Olympus XZ-2 under the skin, then on the surface it looks fairly different. Whereas the Oly is larger-looking, black, chunky and rather macho (angular lines, mini-grip with visible screw, etc.), the MX-1 looks slimmer, much more elegant and perhaps is aimed to bring more female users into the frame. The instant brassing idea is interesting, an element of Pentax home-market wabi sabi perhaps but also something more likely to appeal in countries which have never had a stock of old DSLRs to make this kind of thing familiar or desirable? So a canny mix of old and new with a lot of appeal to wealthy folks in newly industrialized countries in the mix too. Yes or no to VF or hotshoe is an irrelevance in this context. If those are requirements the salesman should steer you to a quite different cabinet of cameras. I hope the MX1 does very well and I am sure I would find it a pleasure to use even though, I imagine, a fair part of what we are being shown isn't really intended for buyers just in the West. I wonder if the femme fatale in the next Bond movie will be toting one of these. Perhaps the XZ-2 is in style more suitable for Odd Job.
01-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Not bad but another enthusiast P&S and nothing to write home about.
I concur.

AFAIC, the "retro" styling is only halfheartedly done which basically misses the boat. Either you create appeal by doing it right, or you just leave a "me too, but I don't know what this is really about" impression. At least it appears to be an improvement w.r.t. to the K-01's design (not that that was hard to achieve).
01-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Couldn't say that for a camera that hasn't even been released. A lot of bashers also laughed at the K-01 due to its design; now, little by little, it's gaining recognition for its performance.

Couldn't say that for the Q....

Re: Q with 06 lens versus 5DmkII with 70-200 IS II: Pentax Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Wow that is a very interesting comparison! Pentax sure knows how to get maximum results out of the sensor! It's also the fact that cameras that usually use the 1/2.3 sensor have cheaply made lenses usually and do not have raw capabilities which can get more from the sensor and allows one to refine the image after the fact.
01-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #194
ogl
Banned

Sensor seems very weak.

XZ-2 is better than X10. MUCH BETTER.

Last edited by ogl; 01-08-2013 at 05:20 AM.
01-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #195
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apart from frank, who has actually been using this little compact camera and given it some good reports, has anyone else here tried the camera and seen what it can do?
If so, give us your thoughts.
Otherwise, all the naysaying has zero value.

The camera looks pretty good to me. The 'retro' look is no workup of the OM-D - it is hardly in any similar class to be compared with it. This camera is a digital redo of the MX, only it's not an ILC. Pentax already has the Q. This one will be a novel and small compact for the discerning point & shooter to sink their teeth into. Although I personally have little interest in this camera and won't be buying it, I think it's a great idea.