Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
This camera has zero chance to compete in its class. The Price will surely drop but I wouldn't waste money on sub par camera like this. Looks nice.

Sensor seems very weak.

Just basing off sensor size is lame.
Futhermore, have you even seen the performance of this camera to make this comment?

What I can do with the Q and its small sensor, you'd need far more $$ invested to get close.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I hate seeing the names of great Pentax SLRs like MX and LX being recycled on P&S cameras!
With Superman/Spiderman being 're-imagined' every few years, I see no wrong in using the MX name.
At least it gets a name revival and lives on in 'spirit' in this new iteration.
This is 2013, its supposed to be a 'modern' re-imagining of the camera.
If we want old names to reappear as DSLRs, it will be a looonnnngggg time to use up the old model names

01-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem with pastiche exterior design is that in this case it only draws attention to what a sublime piece of kit the original MX really was.

The thing is, it was a system camera. Not a small toy, but a full-system thingy.

This is meant as a small self-contained toy, regardless of what anyone says or what it delivers.

And that is why the pastiche crudely fails.
01-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Apart from frank, who has actually been using this little compact camera and given it some good reports, has anyone else here tried the camera and seen what it can do?
If so, give us your thoughts.
Otherwise, all the naysaying has zero value.

The camera looks pretty good to me. The 'retro' look is no workup of the OM-D - it is hardly in any similar class to be compared with it. This camera is a digital redo of the MX, only it's not an ILC. Pentax already has the Q. This one will be a novel and small compact for the discerning point & shooter to sink their teeth into. Although I personally have little interest in this camera and won't be buying it, I think it's a great idea.
I'd post some photos when free. Pretty tied up this week...
01-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

XZ-2 is better than X10. MUCH BETTER.
But it that a relevant comparison now that the X20 (with different sensor) has been announced?

01-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
This camera has zero chance to compete in its class. The Price will surely drop but I wouldn't waste money on sub par camera like this. Looks nice.

Sensor seems very weak.

Where. To. Begin?

This post motivates me to search out the ignore function. Took a while.
01-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The styling cues on the MX1 are interesting. If it is nearly the same camera as the Olympus XZ-2 under the skin, then on the surface it looks fairly different. Whereas the Oly is larger-looking, black, chunky and rather macho (angular lines, mini-grip with visible screw, etc.), the MX-1 looks slimmer, much more elegant and perhaps is aimed to bring more female users into the frame. The instant brassing idea is interesting, an element of Pentax home-market wabi sabi perhaps but also something more likely to appeal in countries which have never had a stock of old DSLRs to make this kind of thing familiar or desirable? So a canny mix of old and new with a lot of appeal to wealthy folks in newly industrialized countries in the mix too. Yes or no to VF or hotshoe is an irrelevance in this context. If those are requirements the salesman should steer you to a quite different cabinet of cameras. I hope the MX1 does very well and I am sure I would find it a pleasure to use even though, I imagine, a fair part of what we are being shown isn't really intended for buyers just in the West. I wonder if the femme fatale in the next Bond movie will be toting one of these. Perhaps the XZ-2 is in style more suitable for Odd Job.
OK... few points...

1. Aimed at females? No. Unisex.

2. Instant brassing? No.

3. Appeal to (paraphrasing) "countries which couldn't afford SLR cameras in the past and can now buy something that looks vintage and expensive?" How much have you travelled? Previously-poor people rising in wealth positively SHUN anything that looks used.

Your write and mean well, but are waaay off the mark.
01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

With Superman/Spiderman being 're-imagined' every few years, I see no wrong in using the MX name.
At least it gets a name revival and lives on in 'spirit' in this new iteration.
This is 2013, its supposed to be a 'modern' re-imagining of the camera.
If we want old names to reappear as DSLRs, it will be a looonnnngggg time to use up the old model names
Well-stated regarding product nomenclature. Totally agree. Plenty of historical models to go around.

The portrait is also great, but I have to say the bokeh is nasty.

01-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #203
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
But it that a relevant comparison now that the X20 (with different sensor) has been announced?
The same bad lens and the same bad sensor
01-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
AFAIC, the "retro" styling is only halfheartedly done which basically misses the boat.
Agreed; the octagonal body shape of the MX, but the side-by-side photos of the MX-1 and MX show how mismatched that body shape is without the pentaprism housing. The very modern-looking lens on the MX-1 is another mis-match. Now, a dummy pentaprism housing such as the OM-D doesn't quite sit right with the "form follows function" part of my aesthetic, but I have to admit the OM-D is a great-looking camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
... has anyone else here tried the camera and seen what it can do? ... Otherwise, all the naysaying has zero value.
All the naysaying about the tech specs, maybe. But it's clear that the design of the camera, what with retro look and brass plates, is meant to be a significant part of what makes this camera stand out, and must also be a significant part of the cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
The problem with pastiche exterior design is that in this case it only draws attention to what a sublime piece of kit the original MX really was.
Just so.
01-08-2013, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just did this size comparison. It's roughly the same height but 1 cm wider than a GRD. The difference is the bulk with the zoom lens and swivel LCD make the MX-I half as thick again as the GRD. But still much smaller than a K-01. The MX-1 is a compact camera.

PS. As for getting upset over the MX-1 name, there's no reason they can't use it across the board as their new 'retro series' designation - eg MX-100 or MX-R for an ILC and even MX-D for a DSLR etc. With new models, it'll go MX-2, MX-110 or MX-D3 and so on.
Attached Images

01-08-2013, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #206
Veteran Member

The more I look at the pictures of this camera, the more I want one ... !
01-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
OK... few points...

1. Aimed at females? No. Unisex.

2. Instant brassing? No.

3. Appeal to (paraphrasing) "countries which couldn't afford SLR cameras in the past and can now buy something that looks vintage and expensive?" How much have you travelled? Previously-poor people rising in wealth positively SHUN anything that looks used.

Your write and mean well, but are waaay off the mark.
Well, we will have to differ (and I didn't say the cam was only aimed at women as clearly it is not, though much more ained at them imho than the Oly), I've travelled quite a lot around the world in fact and in many parts there is more riche and less nouveau than is thought. But you don't seem to have provided any rationale yourself for the design decisions that have gone into this, especially relative to the Oly. Also, I think you may be underestimating the slightly "wabi sabi" element (to my eye) in the brassing decision which, if so, is quite Japanese. I'd love to know if that's how the Pentax folks saw it but I guess we'll never know.
01-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #208
ogl
Banned

Compare camera dimensions side by side
01-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Wow, its larger and heavier than my NEX-5N.

Jason
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Relax, I'm on you side. It was just a joke.

The picture is meant to make it obvious how absurd it is to use a large flash on a small P&S.
Funny picture.

A simple 'dumb' hotshoe would make many flash users happy and isn't out of line with the old MX design or other cameras in this class. A wee wireless trigger in the hotshoe with even one of the compact hotshoe flashes can make a big impact and still fit in a couple of jacket pockets. Even a pc-sync terminal on the front would be an improvement.

The built in flash on this doesn't seem to have manual mode either...this simple addition would make using lights with optical triggers much less frustrating. My old canon A510 had a few manual power settings and I always wonder why more advanced/expensive cameras can't duplicate this apparently herculean feat (this criticism is aimed at many DSLRs as well).