Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
To some extent I agree with you -- years ago, I based my compact camera buying decisions in large part on whether there were adequate exposure controls. That's why I bought my Pentax Optio 550 back in the early aughts, and when that kicked the bucket, why I bought my Casio Exilim Z-850. Despite being six years old, that's the compact camera I still use today. Both of these pocketable models had aperture and shutter priority modes, which were quite the rarity back then (less so now, fortunately).

But if I had wanted a hotshoe, or raw files, or for that matter 25x zoom, or interchangeable lenses, I would have had to look elsewhere. And that's okay! Those particular compacts hit the checkboxes I wanted at the time, and I was very satisfied with both cameras. It never even crossed my mind that I might want to attach an external flash to either one.

Having some enthusiast-type features available doesn't obligate a manufacturer to include ALL POSSIBLE enthusiast-type features. If someone really needs or wants a viewfinder or external flash support, this isn't the camera for them. Fortunately there exist cameras that meet those needs.

I think the MX-1 may very well be the right camera for quite a few people.
Nothing obligates a manufacturer to put any one feature on a camera, and a camera may be right for a number of people without any one feature. It is the competition which tends to push features on to new models. Much of the competition has at least a hot shoe and in some cases wireless TTL capability. I hope this works out for Pentax.

The lack of external flash sync has been an issue for high end pocket cameras since the Olympus XA of 30 years ago prompted a cottage industry in modifying its flash units for pc syncs or hot shoes. All sizes | Adaptor Finished | Flickr - Photo Sharing! It would be nice to see progress.

01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Can't you put a remote flash in Optical slave mode and have it fired from the flash of the camera? I know some flashes have that mode and can be fired from any flash.
It think that was the question Brian had. The problem with many built-in flashes is that they have pre-flashes which foul up simple optical slaves.
01-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
When someone wants something there is no stopping no matter how much sense you might make .
We should start a Pentax petition and call it "Give a shoe for the poor!".

On a more serious note, they have to leave room for improvement as well. Maybe all that is missing now, will be incorporated in later models if they plan to have some kind of series with them.

No matter what you put in a camera there will always be that small margin of people that will just complain for missing something ...
and when many people want something, the manufacturers who provide it get the business. I don't really think it is a small number of people who want external flash capability or so many other high-end P&S manufacturers would not be offering it.
01-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #259
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Many would want a high-quality pocketable camera
A K-01 with DA 40 and Q10 with standard prime are both quite pocketable. When the K-02 or Q20 comes out, there might even be wireless P-TTL.
There are options available. And Pentax keeps coming out with new ideas. I don't see them creating a P&S of this size with a hotshoe and subsequently a P-TTL wireless capability. But if you wanted it, then as you say, you can find it elsewhere.

01-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A K-01 with DA 40 and Q10 with standard prime are both quite pocketable. When the K-02 or Q20 comes out, there might even be wireless P-TTL.
There are options available. And Pentax keeps coming out with new ideas. I don't see them creating a P&S of this size with a hotshoe and subsequently a P-TTL wireless capability. But if you wanted it, then as you say, you can find it elsewhere.
I'm probably dreaming, but I would rather ask for it, and hope my favored line listens.
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #261
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
But those Canons also have a very impressive viewfinder
For sure and I think that accounts for a good chunk of the size difference, especially the height. They are admittedly more expensive than the Pentax.

Can't you put a remote flash in Optical slave mode and have it fired from the flash of the camera? I know some flashes have that mode and can be fired from any flash.
There's a couple of problems with a p-ttl only flash and optical slaves. The first one GeneV mentioned, you need a more advanced slave capable of ignoring the pttl preflash (this is doable but restricts equipment choices, and these don't always play nicely). Second, and this is a biggie, you have little control over the contribution of the built in pttl flash. You can muck around with the EV compensation, but you can't just say 'hey built in flash, fire at 1/16th power, I just want you to wake up the optical dealies on my other lights, they'll do the heavy lifting'.

In my naive view, it seems like even given rudimentary manual control of the on camera flash would probably be a simple, relatively low cost software modification with really no drawbacks. Especially on a camera aimed at a more advanced user, it is sure to appreciated by more than just me.
01-08-2013, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #262
Veteran Member

Pentax can kiss my brass

Just joking. MX-1 looks like a fun advanced P&S.

01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #263

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For sure and I think that accounts for a good chunk of the size difference, especially the height. They are admittedly more expensive than the Pentax.

There's a couple of problems with a p-ttl only flash and optical slaves. The first one GeneV mentioned, you need a more advanced slave capable of ignoring the pttl preflash (this is doable but restricts equipment choices, and these don't always play nicely). Second, and this is a biggie, you have little control over the contribution of the built in pttl flash. You can muck around with the EV compensation, but you can't just say 'hey built in flash, fire at 1/16th power, I just want you to wake up the optical dealies on my other lights, they'll do the heavy lifting'.

In my naive view, it seems like even given rudimentary manual control of the on camera flash would probably be a simple, relatively low cost software modification with really no drawbacks. Especially on a camera aimed at a more advanced user, it is sure to appreciated by more than just me.
I can adjust the flash on my X-Z1. It has Full, 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64th flash power. I have triggered a few different flashes this way. I like to hold the flash in my hand and bounce it with the little X-Z1
Did you ever check out the DIgital Rev videos where they do the cheap camera shoots with various pro's? Pretty funny stuff. They triggered off camera flash with a Buzz Lightyear and a Lego camera.
01-08-2013, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
and when many people want something, the manufacturers who provide it get the business. I don't really think it is a small number of people who want external flash capability or so many other high-end P&S manufacturers would not be offering it.
I do not understand the need of an EVF on this camera.
You can't mount huge lenses so you can't complain that you need to keep your arms closer to the body for stability and I hardly imagine the camera is that heavy ...
You also cannot complain about the sun problem since you have a tilt screen in the back of the camera and you can make it work very easily.

I might understand the need of the flash shoe ... but ...
For a P&S that allows you a pop-up flash with a 90 degree tilt ... I honestly don't see the need of an external flash. You have flash, you can bounce flash.
If you are a "strobist" and use a lot of flashes, then this camera is not for you ... get a more capable camera. For an entry level user, this camera is more than you will ever need. It covers all the basics.

If others offers, doesn't mean you need it. I think a lot of times people just want stuff on their camera to just rage on and on of what their camera can do and rarely barely using 50% of what their camera can actually do.
If you want more because you can do more, get a more capable camera because this P&S is not for you. Go K-01, K-30, K-5s etc ...

What do you want?
A camera small as a freaking cellphone with all the bells and whistles from a semi-pro to pro DSLR for peanuts? Seriously ...

I think this camera is a more advanced P&S that includes all the basics you will ever need. I think this camera was designed so you can take it with and nothing else and just go out and have some fun.
No sense in carrying 101 parts with you. Just you, the camera and what's out there, having fun.
If you don't get it ... is NOT for you. Get something else.
01-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #265
Veteran Member

Had some hands-on time with this guy last night. It's got a great, heavy feel in the hand—reminiscent of old-school Pentax film cameras—and it absolutely looks great. It's a bit bulky compared to some other advanced compacts, but not that much moreso. Couldn't really get a feel for image quality on the show floor and they wouldn't let us keep files anyway. The tilt screen is nice; very similar to the one on the XZ-2, though obviously not touch-sensitive.

Features-wise I don't think it has what it takes to compete with the big guns in this category from Canon and Nikon, or even Sony and Olympus, but I think (pending final image quality) it should satisfy a lot of Pentaxians.
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #266

I do not understand the need of an EVF on this camera.
You can't mount huge lenses so you can't complain that you need to keep your arms closer to the body for stability and I hardly imagine the camera is that heavy ...
You also cannot complain about the sun problem since you have a tilt screen in the back of the camera and you can make it work very easily.

I might understand the need of the flash shoe ... but ...
For a P&S that allows you a pop-up flash with a 90 degree tilt ... I honestly don't see the need of an external flash. You have flash, you can bounce flash.
If you are a "strobist" and use a lot of flashes, then this camera is not for you ... get a more capable camera. For an entry level user, this camera is more than you will ever need. It covers all the basics.

If others offers, doesn't mean you need it. I think a lot of times people just want stuff on their camera to just rage on and on of what their camera can do and rarely barely using 50% of what their camera can actually do.
If you want more because you can do more, get a more capable camera because this P&S is not for you. Go K-01, K-30, K-5s etc ...

What do you want?
A camera small as a freaking cellphone with all the bells and whistles from a semi-pro to pro DSLR for peanuts? Seriously ...

I think this camera is a more advanced P&S that includes all the basics you will ever need. I think this camera was designed so you can take it with and nothing else and just go out and have some fun.
No sense in carrying 101 parts with you. Just you, the camera and what's out there, having fun.
If you don't get it ... is NOT for you. Get something else.
If they made the camera like the X-Z1 with the option to put a view finder on it and the ability to trigger a flash with the built in flash I would be more inclined to buy it. I can live without the hot shoe but then again you can put some other accessories on that thing as well. When it is bright outside I use the viewfinder on my X-Z1. In fact I prefer to use it over composing with the LCD. I don't care how small the camera is there is something about holding it to your eye and looking through that thing that just feels right! I guess it is a personal preference thing but to say that people want this type of stuff to rage on and on of what their camera can do is not being fair. I'm sure there are people out there that like to have everything and probably don't use them but that's not the majority.
01-08-2013, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #267
Veteran Member

If they made the camera like the X-Z1 with the option to put a view finder on it and the ability to trigger a flash with the built in flash I would be more inclined to buy it. I can live without the hot shoe but then again you can put some other accessories on that thing as well. When it is bright outside I use the viewfinder on my X-Z1. In fact I prefer to use it over composing with the LCD. I don't care how small the camera is there is something about holding it to your eye and looking through that thing that just feels right! I guess it is a personal preference thing but to say that people want this type of stuff to rage on and on of what their camera can do is not being fair. I'm sure there are people out there that like to have everything and probably don't use them but that's not the majority.
Fair enough ...
Personally, I see myself owning one in the future if IQ is good. I adore its looks and I pray IQ is good .
01-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #268
Veteran Member

I love it. Brass, Baby!!
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #269
Veteran Member

Some thoughts on the MX-1 and Pentax in general from Mike Johnston of The Online Photographer:

The Online Photographer: You Just Gotta Love Pentax
01-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fair enough ...
Personally, I see myself owning one in the future if IQ is good. I adore its looks and I pray IQ is good .
The IQ is definitely very good, at least to my standard (in comparison w/ an X10).