Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I do not understand the need of an EVF on this camera.
You can't mount huge lenses so you can't complain that you need to keep your arms closer to the body for stability and I hardly imagine the camera is that heavy ...
You also cannot complain about the sun problem since you have a tilt screen in the back of the camera and you can make it work very easily.

I might understand the need of the flash shoe ... but ...
For a P&S that allows you a pop-up flash with a 90 degree tilt ... I honestly don't see the need of an external flash. You have flash, you can bounce flash.
If you are a "strobist" and use a lot of flashes, then this camera is not for you ... get a more capable camera. For an entry level user, this camera is more than you will ever need. It covers all the basics.

If others offers, doesn't mean you need it. I think a lot of times people just want stuff on their camera to just rage on and on of what their camera can do and rarely barely using 50% of what their camera can actually do.
If you want more because you can do more, get a more capable camera because this P&S is not for you. Go K-01, K-30, K-5s etc ...

What do you want?
A camera small as a freaking cellphone with all the bells and whistles from a semi-pro to pro DSLR for peanuts? Seriously ...

I think this camera is a more advanced P&S that includes all the basics you will ever need. I think this camera was designed so you can take it with and nothing else and just go out and have some fun.
No sense in carrying 101 parts with you. Just you, the camera and what's out there, having fun.
If you don't get it ... is NOT for you. Get something else.
don't forget, some people live to complain. that is their purpose in life. They can never be satisfied with anything

01-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #272
Pentaxian

What slightly confuses me, is that the Q10 suddenly comes in 100 colors and this camera has a more serious sensor.

Would there be room for a 1/1.7" sensor in a Q series camera? If there is, I think we'll see a "high end Q" soon.
01-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #273
Veteran Member

I wonder how it's going to be priced come fall of this year
01-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Equivalent lenses:

6-24/1.8-2.5 (Crop 4.66)
14-56/4.2-5.8 (Crop 2; [m]43)
19-75/5.6-7.8 (Crop 1.5; APS-C)
28-112/8.4-11.7 (Crop 1)

So, the MX-1 could rival a m43 camera with standard lens (14-42/3.5-5.6). Price and size also are similar.

The main competitor (apart from the m43 offerings) should be the Olympus XZ-2. The MX-1 seems to be a rebadged version of this camera with less features. The success of the MX-1 will probably depend on the price difference and the design preferences.

01-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
The success of the MX-1 will probably depend on the price difference and the design preferences.
also, on marketing and availability...
01-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #276
Veteran Member

You can't mount huge lenses so you can't complain that you need to keep your arms closer to the body for stability and I hardly imagine the camera is that heavy ...
You also cannot complain about the sun problem since you have a tilt screen in the back of the camera and you can make it work very easily.
And some of us just prefer to work with an EVF. Don't put us down because of it. (I'm not demanding that Pentax provide one, just sayin')
01-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Wouldn't an EVF support and a hot shoe raise its price? The XZ-2's street price is $50 higher than the MX-1's launch price.

01-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #278
Veteran Member

This is true, and after all the MX was a basic, straightforward camera - this one follows in that mould. A simple 'dumb' hotshoe would have been nice, and would even have enhanced the 'look' of the camera, but never mind! It's a very pretty thing. I might buy one. I'm not really in the market for an advanced compact, but the looks of this thing have really caught my eye (and I suspect that is going to be the secret of it's success!)
01-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I thought I was going to like the all-black version more, but now I'm not sure.

The silver looks better from the front, whereas the black will likely look better from the top and back.

I'm really looking forward to seeing and feeling these in the flesh.
Sure you will like it because you will get this with wear.

01-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote

The main competitor (apart from the m43 offerings) should be the Olympus XZ-2. The MX-1 seems to be a rebadged version of this camera with less features. The success of the MX-1 will probably depend on the price difference and the design preferences.
I have read that it is a different lens from the Oly.

Same max apertures and focal range at the extremes, but different transitions.
01-09-2013, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Wouldn't an EVF support and a hot shoe raise its price? The XZ-2's street price is $50 higher than the MX-1's launch price.
The XZ-2 still sells close to the MSRP and additionally offers e.g. a touchscreen and a control wheel around the lens.

Olympus Stylus XZ-2 Serious Compact Review (some test images included)
Pentax MX-1 First Hands-On Preview

QuoteQuote:
I have read that it is a different lens from the Oly.
Same max apertures and focal range at the extremes, but different transitions.
At least they seem to be very similar.
MX-1 Lens diagram
XZ-2 Cross-section
01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't read through all the replies, so deep apologies to anyone who has already made similar/identical comments, observations or suggestions.
1) the camera specifications are not quite enough, consequently the initial price is a little high.
2) FOR ME not necessarily for everyone, to make the camera competitive and really attractive it would need the following:
1. larger sensor, preferably full APS-C, 16~20mb
2. hotshoe, obviously for Pentax contact TTL-P flash
3. optional electronic viewfinder similar to those available for Panasonic & Olympus cameras.
4. slightly longer zoom range, ideally equivalent to 24~120mm; really great would be equivalent of 21~100 even if the max F-stop were reduced to 2.8
5. Close-to-body ring convertible from F-stop to manual focus.
6. full tilt-twist screen would be nice, not essential, but a screen that could be unplugged then tethered by wire would be a really innovative coup.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.
01-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #283
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I might understand the need of the flash shoe ... but ...
For a P&S that allows you a pop-up flash with a 90 degree tilt ... I honestly don't see the need of an external flash. You have flash, you can bounce flash.
If you are a "strobist" and use a lot of flashes, then this camera is not for you ... get a more capable camera. For an entry level user, this camera is more than you will ever need. It covers all the basics.

If others offers, doesn't mean you need it. I think a lot of times people just want stuff on their camera to just rage on and on of what their camera can do and rarely barely using 50% of what their camera can actually do.
If you want more because you can do more, get a more capable camera because this P&S is not for you. Go K-01, K-30, K-5s etc ...

What do you want?
A camera small as a freaking cellphone with all the bells and whistles from a semi-pro to pro DSLR for peanuts? Seriously ...

I think this camera is a more advanced P&S that includes all the basics you will ever need. I think this camera was designed so you can take it with and nothing else and just go out and have some fun.
No sense in carrying 101 parts with you. Just you, the camera and what's out there, having fun.
If you don't get it ... is NOT for you. Get something else.
I didn't ask for an EVF. I just asked for external flash capability.
01-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #284
Veteran Member

Size comparison again

Interesting is the comparison against the Leica X2

The MX-1 is a design copycat of the Leica X / Leica X2. Same size, design, weight. Except that the X is APS-C while the MX-1 has a tiny sensor.

So, a true copy of the Leica X to become the Pentax MX-1 at the $500 price point would have been quite an interesting proposition (the X2 is $1995). Again ... where has all the Pentax ambition has gone?

(images (c) Leica and camerasize.com )
Attached Images

Last edited by falconeye; 01-09-2013 at 06:51 AM.
01-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #285
Veteran Member

Pentax: Be different!