Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
Well worth it!
Yes, a hotshoe and an extra control dial is well worth the extra price if it is just $50. One thing that bugs me is the lack of wifi. In this modern world I might have my dslr camera with me but I will take a family shot with my smartphone just to be able to post it on social media. With the MX1 I will still be taking that photo with my smartphone just to post on social media site, and I really hate the image quality I get from my smartphone but this is the easiest way so far for me. I really think the next big thing on the advance pns cameras like the MX1, ZX2, LX7 and G15 is going to be built-in WIFI. It is a shame Pentax didn't get there first. Dave

01-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Yes, a hotshoe and an extra control dial is well worth the extra price if it is just $50. One thing that bugs me is the lack of wifi. In this modern world I might have my dslr camera with me but I will take a family shot with my smartphone just to be able to post it on social media. With the MX1 I will still be taking that photo with my smartphone just to post on social media site, and I really hate the image quality I get from my smartphone but this is the easiest way so far for me. I really think the next big thing on the advance pns cameras like the MX1, ZX2, LX7 and G15 is going to be built-in WIFI. It is a shame Pentax didn't get there first. Dave
Excellent points. The biggest struggle of the point and shoot will be justifying its advantage over the smartphone. This level of camera can do that in IQ, but simpler, cheaper cameras may not. The wireless capability can be duplicated with an Eye-fi card, but it is a bit slow. The big advantage of the smartphone now for businesses is that a number of software packages for running businesses which use photos have apps which interface with smartphones. Building in Wi-fi (as the new Nikons do) is definitely the wave of the future.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-09-2013 at 12:15 PM.
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Excellent points. The biggest struggle of the point and shoot will be justifying its advantage over the smartphone. This level of camera can do that in IQ, but simpler, cheaper cameras may not. The wireless capability can be duplicated with an Eye-fi card, but it is a bit slow. The big advantage of the smartphone now for businesses is that a number of software packages for running businesses which use photos have apps which interface with smartphones. Building in Wi-fi, the way the new Nikons do is definitely the wave of the future.
Yes, built-in WIFI is the new wave and gives you a reason to carry a small camera with you in addition to the poor camera built into a smartphone. Panasonic is really going with built-in WIFI in a very big way with several new cameras having built-in WIFI. They even let you control the camera with the smartphone/tablet. It sounds really neat to be aboe to touch focus and zoom remotely from your smartphone. They even let you tethering with a smartphone/tablet. Nikon has an Android phone and Samsung has couple of wifi phone. It is the new wave and Pentax missed it with the MX1.

Plus I do miss the hotshoe and accessory port for an EVF.

Dave
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #319
Veteran Member

What the hell do they want from this little poor camera ... !?
What's next ... spread sheets, pdf presentations with pictures, image gallery ... pie charts with how better your pictures are getting ... a game or two for when you are bored ...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-09-2013 at 12:51 PM.
01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #320

Like I said in my first post... it looks like it's a nice camera. I just don't see it being competitive to anything out there in the price range that it is. I would never think of getting the MX-1 over the Olympus XZ-2 or XZ-1 for that matter. I would be giving up too much. If it was much cheaper maybe.
01-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote

What's next ... spread sheets, pdf presentations with pictures, image gallery ... pie charts with how better your pictures are getting ... a game or two for when you are bored ...
Samsung EX2F

Dave
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #322
Veteran Member

Samsung EX2F

Dave
Oh my. Wifi and a hot shoe, and the price is excellent. Gone are the days when Samsung sold rebadged Pentaxes.

01-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #323
Veteran Member

How about features which other similarly priced cameras already have?
01-09-2013, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #324
Veteran Member

OK guys I give up ... you are right ... is another overprice sh!t camera from Pentax ... don't buy it ...
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #325

finally someone who says what everbody things
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #326
Veteran Member

OK guys I give up ... you are right ... is another overprice sh!t camera from Pentax ... don't buy it ...
The MX1 does look to be a really good camera I just wished it had something to differentiate itself from the other cameras in its class. Right now the differentiating thing is that it lacked a hotshoe and has a brass top and bottom.
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #327
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
>lacks a hotshoe
>taking away features

Anyone remember Nikon's G lenses?
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #328
K-9
Veteran Member

I already see one positive over the K30. It has HDMI out.
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #329
Veteran Member

With the MX1 I will still be taking that photo with my smartphone just to post on social media site, and I really hate the image quality I get from my smartphone but this is the easiest way so far for me. I really think the next big thing on the advance pns cameras like the MX1, ZX2, LX7 and G15 is going to be built-in WIFI. It is a shame Pentax didn't get there first.
MX-1 specs: Compatibility with Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
>lacks a hotshoe
>taking away features

Anyone remember Nikon's G lenses?
As someone that was a Nikon shooter when those lenses came out, don't believe for a second that we didn't create a storm
Pentax was supposed to be the company that didn't purposely cripple their gear in order to get their customers to buy more expensive equipment.
If they release an MX-2 with a hotshoe and provisions for an EVF, i will have my doubts.

Last edited by Ash; 01-09-2013 at 03:49 PM.