Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Finally got time to put up some photos taken by this little beauty, you guys might wanna take a look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/21172...-1-camera.html
These look very nice. I don't get all the hate around this camera. There is a huge sector of the market that pentax has ignored until now and is finally addressing. People don't whine about how terrible the s110, the xz-2, and the lx7 are. Personally, sensor size aside, I would rather have the sharper, faster lens. The RX100 isn't all that great optically and to have a fast lens would have made the whole thing even bigger. There are always trade offs. This looks quite nice. I wouldn't buy one, but for the first time ever, this is a pentax compact I could actually maybe recommend asides from their waterproof cameras.

01-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #452

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
These look very nice. I don't get all the hate around this camera. There is a huge sector of the market that pentax has ignored until now and is finally addressing. People don't whine about how terrible the s110, the xz-2, and the lx7 are. Personally, sensor size aside, I would rather have the sharper, faster lens. The RX100 isn't all that great optically and to have a fast lens would have made the whole thing even bigger. There are always trade offs. This looks quite nice. I wouldn't buy one, but for the first time ever, this is a pentax compact I could actually maybe recommend asides from their waterproof cameras.
Who's whining about the XZ-2? If the MX-1 was more like it I would consider getting one.
01-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #453
Veteran Member

Where are you getting the idea the RX100 lens is slow and not all that great? It is a 1.8 at the wide angle, just like the Pentax and is branded as Carl Zeiss which has a huge reputation for excellent quality. Not to mention the sensor size is nearly twice as large in the RX100 which has to account for something. Have you checked out the RX100 shots in the "Other brands" section on this forum?

Jason
01-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #454
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe that's because the XZ-2 and LX7 have hot shoes and accessory ports to go with lenses that are as fast as the one on the MX-1. The LX7 has a smaller body, too, if that matters.

As I said elsewhere, the MX-1 will appeal most to current Pentax owners and those who know they have no use for an external flash.

01-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #455

They do nice cameras but they forget the competition! Why have a small sensor now when almost every else use a bigger one. I donīt talk about the Sony RX 1, but the ones with the APS-C sensors. Pentax has a very nice competative APS-C sensor in the K5 II, why not use that one. Itīs a compact camera sensor and that segment is slowly walking to death! I've bought it if there where a bigger sensor and a hotshoe!

///Anders S
01-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndersPS Quote
They do nice cameras but they forget the competition! Why have a small sensor now when almost every else use a bigger one. I donīt talk about the Sony RX 1, but the ones with the APS-C sensors. Pentax has a very nice competative APS-C sensor in the K5 II, why not use that one. Itīs a compact camera sensor and that segment is slowly walking to death! I've bought it if there where a bigger sensor and a hotshoe!

///Anders S
Has anyone built a compact P&S zoom lens camera with an APS-C sensor? I can't think of one.
01-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #457
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Has anyone built a compact P&S zoom lens camera with an APS-C sensor? I can't think of one.
As someone pointed out, a NEX with the new collapsible power zoom isn't really much larger and heavier than the MX-1.

01-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Guess the K-01 doesn't count
01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Guess the K-01 doesn't count
... that's not a P&S ...
01-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #460
JPT
Pentaxian

It seems to me that there quite a lot of customers who know a bit about photography/cameras and want to take good photos but don't want to get into buying lenses, flashes and carry a dedicated camera bag. This camera is for people like that. It'll be a one-off purchase and meet all their needs for a few years.

Just from looking at the design, specs and few samples, it looks like a big step up from the Pentax compacts of the past few years, such as the Optio VS20. There may be a conscious effort to differentiate Pentax compacts from the Ricoh ones. Ricoh compacts typically have a VF option, dual control dials and a ton of customisation features. Also, their design is more "serious" and less decorative. So if you feel this is a bit lightweight, I'd suggest waiting to see what they release under the Ricoh brand.
01-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Where are you getting the idea the RX100 lens is slow and not all that great? It is a 1.8 at the wide angle, just like the Pentax and is branded as Carl Zeiss which has a huge reputation for excellent quality. Not to mention the sensor size is nearly twice as large in the RX100 which has to account for something. Have you checked out the RX100 shots in the "Other brands" section on this forum?

Jason
It also quickly ramps up to f5.8 at the long end. The LX7 shows better bokeh and separation at f2.3, while managing to keep the ISO lower than the sony because it is much faster. I've also read that the sony is not particularly sharp at the wide end of the range as well, but hey...I'm sure its just sample variations and zeiss can make an optically perfect f1.8-5.8 zoom that is razor sharp throughout its range across the whole frame at any aperture. Riiiiight.

Sony RX100 review | Cameralabs

The RX100 would have to be much larger to have an equivalent lens. Look at the G1-X. Slow and hard to get bokeh out of at all, despite its larger than m4/3 sensor. Most small enthusiast P&S cameras end up getting used to take pictures of people mostly. A fast lens on a smaller sensor that allows some dof control at its longest end is a lot more useful than a huge sensor with a slow lens IMO.

EDIT: OK I looked at some samples and the rx100 lens is pretty sharp even at wide end. It has some edge issues there, but really is looking decent in terms of sharpness. Fine detail looks like it was rendered with watercolor though. I'm not impressed with IQ on a pixel level at all.

Last edited by zosxavius; 01-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.
01-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #462
Veteran Member

with frank's samples out, I'm more convinced that the MX-1 is a beautiful little beast. That, and it's only beta firmware. If it improves further, then whoa it's a winner.
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #463
Veteran Member

It also quickly ramps up to f5.8 at the long end. The LX7 shows better bokeh and separation at f2.3, while managing to keep the ISO lower than the sony because it is much faster. I've also read that the sony is not particularly sharp at the wide end of the range as well, but hey...I'm sure its just sample variations and zeiss can make an optically perfect f1.8-5.8 zoom that is razor sharp throughout its range across the whole frame at any aperture. Riiiiight.

Sony RX100 review | Cameralabs

The RX100 would have to be much larger to have an equivalent lens. Look at the G1-X. Slow and hard to get bokeh out of at all, despite its larger than m4/3 sensor. Most small enthusiast P&S cameras end up getting used to take pictures of people mostly. A fast lens on a smaller sensor that allows some dof control at its longest end is a lot more useful than a huge sensor with a slow lens IMO.

EDIT: OK I looked at some samples and the rx100 lens is pretty sharp even at wide end. It has some edge issues there, but really is looking decent in terms of sharpness. Fine detail looks like it was rendered with watercolor though. I'm not impressed with IQ on a pixel level at all.
I don't know where you are getting your info, but you are wrong on a lot of counts.
First off, the max aperture at the telephoto end is f4.9, NOT 5.8.

Second, you criticize a camera's IQ, before looking at samples? Seems like you've made up your opinion based on heresay, then are distorting reality to match your initial viewpoint.
If you look at this thread on this very forum, you will see that IQ is hardly lacking:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/195102...ures-here.html

Not saying that the RX100 is the perfect camera, but the IQ is generally regarded as tops in its class.
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #464
Veteran Member

These look very nice. I don't get all the hate around this camera.
Why do people misuse the word "hate" like that? Stating a disinclination to purchase the product and stating the reasons why hardly equates to "hate".
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not the only word that's misused here, not to mention elsewhere. Possibly the reason is that there isn't a nice, simple word for "reflexive and instant disdain or aversion", which describes the feeling I get from reactions to anything new from Pentax that isn't what people would like to see. A single word to cover a reaction like "That's it! I'm moving to Nikon/Canon/MFT because of this!" might be helpful, too, and save us having to read (or ignore) these verbally inadequate outpourings, each time. Maybe a TLA or a new emoticon might be the answer.