Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Updating the AF 360 FGZ with swivel head, improved P-TTL and even WP would be nice but probably the least important things to do with the flash. Just making these changes may not be enough to get most to upgrade (or even possible buy instead of something ease). There is so much more Pentax could and should do that if this is all they do it would be a disappointment.
Yeah I was excited for a second and then more disappointed than I was before I read the announcement.

Let's look at some recent flash features from Canon:
  • zooms to 200mm
  • included gel holder
  • updated af-assist beam
  • dot-matrix lcd display
  • radio triggering of up to five groups of flashes

And, let's look at a feature that Nikon and Canon have had on their mid-range flash for years:
  • Tilt/swivel

I mean, I'm glad we've finally caught up to that, but, c'mon. If we can't be ahead, can we at least catch up to the state of the art?

01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah I was excited for a second and then more disappointed than I was before I read the announcement.

Let's look at some recent flash features from Canon:
  • zooms to 200mm
  • included gel holder
  • updated af-assist beam
  • dot-matrix lcd display
  • radio triggering of up to five groups of flashes

And, let's look at a feature that Nikon and Canon have had on their mid-range flash for years:
  • Tilt/swivel

I mean, I'm glad we've finally caught up to that, but, c'mon. If we can't be ahead, can we at least catch up to the state of the art?
Well, maybe that's why it is called 360FGZ II. It's not meant (yep that's the prob, I know) to be anything but a refresh.
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, maybe that's why it is called 360FGZ II. It's not meant (yep that's the prob, I know) to be anything but a refresh.
Yes, true: definite honesty points won for not calling it anything more than that when it isn't.
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well I really didn't expect this camera from Pentax or Ricoh. I did expect only p&s camera(s) to be announced at PMA/CES. The new p&s camera does look really nice, still with the small sensor , missing a hotshoe and no accessory port for an EVF it is missing several key features. The "enthusiast" niche is moving toward bigger sensors and WIFI connectivity. This camera missed both so it seems like it should have been released a year or two before now.

So for the time bein just another camera released by Pentax that I have no interest in. The Q, K01, Q10 and now this one.

An upcoming new flash will be nice. Still it does seem a little odd that the 360 is being updated first and not the larger 540. I guess we will know more details on the new flash at CP+.

Dave

01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Remember, it's a concept product, Ricoh/Pentax is probable focusing the resource in improving the electronics and P-TTL protocols to work with current and future products, but no time to design a new body/weather sealing/control panel/light, so they stuff all the things they've done so far into a AF360 body and call it a concept. It's like concept car in a way don't you think? To give the market some idea what the new products might look like/feature. Besides, AF540 have about the same feature set as AF360 but more power and a tilt and swirl head, maybe Ricoh/Pentax is working on including more feature in the AF540 replacement to justify the flagship status?

People here had been moaning about Ricoh/Pentax not letting us know where they are heading and the flash system is getting outdated, I think this concept gives a a message: yes we have been listening and we are working on improving/updating our P-TTL flash system, here's what we've done so far, stay tuned.
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People have complained about the AF 360 FGZ not having swivel head and the desire to have an improved P-TTL. Even adding WP or upping the sink speed to 250. Those are nice things but at this point are not really that important. There is now on the newer Pentax cameras a bidirectional digital comport on the hotshot. Using that you could start to do some fantastic things like control 60+ flash units in manual or P-TTL with a RF wireless system with each flash a RF repeater. Just doing something like this and non of the before mentioned things would be much more important. If they just refreshed and then released a flash in the next year that used digital RF Pentax would not make back the money on the refresh flash. Compared to what could be done they are just not that important and in the bigger scheme almost irrelevant.

DAZ
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm still glad they're doing something.

01-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wait for the flagship update. It'll have to be better than the already very good 540FGZ.
01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just wait for the flagship update. It'll have to be better than the already very good 540FGZ.
Let's hope so. If they released something like the 540, with a little more power, zoom to 200mm, more advanced wireless TTL, possibly radio triggers of some sort (elinchrom please) and TRUE WR, I'd be all over it. And I think it would be yet another thing that would make the brand more unique and competitive.
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like something that should go in the Dear Pentax thread. It's a pretty important accessory.
01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The wait for the next DSLR announcement continues...

P.S.: If Pentax adds radio triggering to their flashes, then -- in my dreams -- it should be compatible with the "Cyber Commander" by Paul C. Buff. Best remote control flash system I'm aware of. Easily beats the Phottix Odin, as far as I can tell from reading descriptions only. Of course this will never happen. But dreams are free...

Last edited by Class A; 01-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
645D: This medium-format SLR delivers 40-mengapixel image quality and professional performance at an attractive price.
Wow. Pentax have invented a new sensor that takes "mengapixels"!

Unless it is just a typo. On a Press Release.

Amateurville.
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm still glad they're doing something.
Exactly. The more stuff pentax makes, the more stuff pentax will make.
01-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Wow. Pentax have invented a new sensor that takes "mengapixels"!

Unless it is just a typo. On a Press Release.

Amateurville.
Good catch. That should of course read "mangapixels" -- it's a special edition targetted at the Japanese youth market.
01-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am pleased that Pentax continues to develop new products. I love my K-5 which I bought about a year ago when I sold my Sony Alpha gear. I feel confident that Pentax will introduce new cameras to provide a solid growth path for both DSLR to follow the K-5, K-5II and K-5IIs. I also feel confident that new lenses will be introduced and the lens pricing policy will be tuned to be competitive with other lens manufacturers. I still don't know if I would be a higher end APS-C camera or a FF camera. A lot would depend on the use of my existing lenses, including the DA*16-50 which I have been pleased with so far.
It would be great to have everything now but Pentax/Ricoh has shown me that they plan to stay in the business and offer solid products with the same price performance differentiation that led me to buy my K-5.