Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still, if the company sells black, white, silver, or dull colors already - they get additional sales from making other colors as well. It's a cost vs return ratio to be reviewed, but I assume they are doing it based on how the k-x and k-r have performed in the past.

01-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Two reasons come to mind that are practical and not simply matters of style or taste. First, an all black camera is less obvious and if you are there to record an event but not disturb it then black suits that situation better than nearly any other choice. Second, when dealing with reflections a flat black camera is less likely to show up at all.
Yep.

Though that's a really pretty purple. What do you think, Mags? I used to have something just that shade: can't recall what it was.

Also the green-brown seems to suit that camera. Kind of mean-looking.

For me, yeah, generally I *don't* want the camera to draw the eye any more than necessary, But black or a dark grey, maybe dark green or brown, that'd be OK.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-07-2013 at 01:52 PM.
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
Forum Member

Too bad they didn't make them widely available a little sooner-- My blue one arrives TOMORROW! I'm happy with the color, regardless, but I really like the matte gray.
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I have the white k30 and even though I love my camera I now wish I had bought the black because I can see my white camera reflection in my kids eyes when I take their picture. It's very obvious and I think it looks weird.

01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Panteg Quote
I may be boring ,but cameras should be black!
I have two Seneca Improved cmaeras and the stained wood is much classier than the lacqured black

Even though I would be more likely to buy a black digital camera than a coloured one, I see no reason that they are not offered in more than just black. As people seem to not keep or at least use them as long as in the film days, colours may be an important marketing tool in today's market.
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The numbers can be deceptive. Remember the old joke - there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. That % includes fleet sales, which are nearly only black, white, silver, or grey.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Also in the motoring world, colour paint can sometimes be an extra esp if its mettalic paint. But thats off topic. I never knew the K-30 came in both shiny and matte varieties, kinda cool!

01-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Panteg Quote
I may be boring ,but cameras should be black!
I only have one black camera My *istDL. MY k1000 is silver, the p30t is grey, the ZX-7 is silver . The only colors they came in as far as I know. except the DL was available in silver
Oh yeah the k-30 to be delivered tomorrow is blue
01-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I believe the k-30 comes in more colors in Asia, vs here. It's two different types (silky vs matte?), and something like 6 or 8 colors each. Probably 9 each, since the press release says 18.
Please don't stain K-serie to LOMO. It is the inherent of Pentax, representing serious photography. This is our attitude.
01-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Hmmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahton1987 Quote
Please don't stain K-serie to LOMO. It is the inherent of Pentax, representing serious photography. This is our attitude.
Stain the K series? Have you perhaps forgotten the K-r and K-x?
01-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, remember this is the entry level camera currently in the Pentax line up. It's not like they have the K-5 IIs in a bunch of other colors. Even Canon and Nikon offer different colors in their lower cameras. It's about presenting people with choices, if you want black, you can buy it, if you want another color, here, take your pick. The underpinnings of the camera are none the less very good and serious. This will expand the market base for Pentax. Most of Canikon's money is made from getting people to buy into their entry level cameras and buying a few lenses. Only Pentax currently has the most complete APS-C lens selection. Nikon has I think only 13 Dx format lenses.

I started with the Optio W10 and loved it's durability and it's photo quality, and that introduced me to Pentax. When that camera was stolen, I wanted to get a dslr and what brand did I look into? Pentax, because that was my first P&S. SO i think by offering additional color choices, the brand reaches more people, and they sure won't be disappointed with the photo quality of the K-30.

I can see why people might think that Pentax is not taking photography seriously if the "pro" grade cameras were in 25 colors, but that is not the case, just the "entry" level is.

Also on the car aspect, why is it that many of the eye catching advertisements of vehicles feature "vibrant colors?" I sure don't think white, black, and gray are the most popular Ferrari colors, nor for that sake Lambo and Bugatti.

just my .02
01-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would actually buy a silver K-30. I hadn't even considered that color as a possibility until just a second ago.
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I would actually buy a silver K-30. I hadn't even considered that color as a possibility until just a second ago.
I remember when Black cameras were commented on negatively - they would get too hot - and silver was the default "Pro" color for a camera.
01-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the nice shiny red one.
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Still has to be black for me lol.