Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
It really need to have built-in radio control and be weather-sealed.
this should be the logical step for the 540 replacement.

01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you should try nikon CLS sometime...
I have... it's infrared and I don't think it can do anything that the new Canon system can't do at least as well... but Canon does it with radio signals.

The biggest problem with ALL the sophisticated off-camera systems (pocket wizard Flex system - Nikon CLS) is that they work fine until they are a complete failure. I have seen the Nikon system be rendered completely useless and I have had lots of problems with the Pocket Wizard system. So far (knock on wood) the new Canon system has been 100% perfect for me in all conditions (rain, sun, LONG distances, mixed metering scenarios etc).

It does not matter how good something is under the "best of conditions" if it fails to work at all under the worst of conditions. All the Nikon professionals that I know have been using Pocket Wizard since they came out with a compatible system.
01-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
I have had lots of problems with the Pocket Wizard system.
strange I have been using my multimax for years..
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
strange I have been using my multimax for years..
He was probably referring to the Flex TT5 system from PW. It had a lot of problems in the Canon version because of electrical noise interference from the Canon speedlights.

PW, PW Plus, PW Plus II and Multimax are all very reliable (I use a mix of PW Plus and Plus II).

01-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eastman Quote
PW, PW Plus, PW Plus II and Multimax are all very reliable

well that explains his problem, and it is more of a problem with canon speeedlights lack of RF shielding rather than with pocketwizards.
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very exciting. Of course, I am more interested in specs and actual performance over the design/appearance of the flash. I will be interested to see what the new 540 is like. This update is long overdue.
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

well that explains his problem, and it is more of a problem with canon speeedlights lack of RF shielding rather than with pocketwizards.
No ... it is much more than that. (I'm referring to the TT1 and TT5 units)

It is ALSO that too though.

The 430exII has no shielding issues - and when the shields are installed there are no transmission problems with the 580exII.

Problem 1 - 430exII has no external power pins for battery packs (better recycle times for short bursts) so it is not always a suitable substitute for the 580exII
Problem 2 - having the shield on my 580exII one day (hot summer wedding) caused my flash to melt ($100 repair). It is a black insultating sleave sitting in the sun while I gave my flash a pretty good workout
Problem 3 - mini TT1 seems very finicky. Random problems with this unit that seem to be resolved with power-off/power-on
Problem 4 - mini TT1 seems to have power issues with its button battery. Sometimes that battery seems to wear out really fast
Problem 5 - TT1 and TT5 have pretty weak lock-down mechanisms causing intermittent connection and operation
Problem 6 - The F'ing thing doesn't want to work sometimes. Resolved by turning EVERYTHING off and then turning it back on one piece at a time starting at the light and going back to the camera.

In spite of all those problems - this is still the most versatile system on the market WHEN the operate as they should (which is 95% of the time).
- I can program set my first and second curtain timings so I can get sync speeds of 1/640.
- I can integrate Alien Bees into the system seamlessly (same or different zone as my Canon flashes).
- I can shoot Alien Bees at that high sync speed (1/640).
- I can shoot Alien Bees at HSS.
- I can shoot Alien Bees in "Auto" mode (i.e. TTL).
- And the best part of all is that I can control the entire system with a very easy-to-understand mechanical dial/switch on the top of the whole unit - with simple options to allow manual vs auto power settings ... and increase/decrease power settings in either Manual or Auto ... for up to 3 different "zones"
01-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

After buying my first YongNuo flash it is totally ridiculous that a $70.00 flash feels more professional and sturdy than my Pentax AF 360 in comparison my Pentax feels like a toy and feels very flimsy I just hope the new flash is more robust and does not feel like a toy.

01-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Release date: this summer.
01-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #40
Banned

Photos: Albums
A lot of semi professionals and above; darn even beginners are considering this new 360 II and other Pentax products not much more than toys. Thanks Pentax
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #41

Any reason to look at this over say a Metz 50AF-1? Bar possibly sealing I can't see a pull out white card either on the new Pentax
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Haven't held an AF360 or even a 540 in real life. But I've seen a 540, it looks nice. My Metz 58 AF-2 also doesn't seem as tough as my YongNuo 560, but still... it outperforms both YN560 and the Pentax 540. And given the price of the 540 in most stores...
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Oh well. I finally got tired of no swivel with my AF360 and gave it to my niece (along with my K200D and three lenses), buying myself the AF540 for Christmas. Now this is unveiled.
02-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #44
Pentaxian

From what I can see from the photos, there's at least one step backward: no auto thyristor. Any flash without this mode is automatically scratched off my list.

I'm not sure I like the metal foot. Say, when the flash (attached to a camera's hotshoe) is accidentally bumped into something, something has to give. I'd rather give up the flash's foot than the camera's shoe.
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
My Metz 58 AF-2 ... outperforms both YN560 and the Pentax 540.
Care to elaborate? "Outperform" in what sense?

I'm not challenging you, just curious.