Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Care to elaborate? "Outperform" in what sense?
The most I can speak of is recycle time, and the head's zoom range.
At my brother's graduation ceremony, (before the event began) I saw there was another K-x wielder in the crowd, and he had the 540 mounted. I managed to come up and talk to him for a while and observed him use it in manual mode and full power. Took several seconds (3 to 5 I think) to recycle with fresh batteries. A couple of months later I got my Metz, and was surprised to see it only needed around 2 or 1.5 seconds to recycle a full power blast with fresh XX eneloops. Lastly, I've rarely had overexposure issues on p-TTL mode with it. (Now as I don't have a 540, I cannot comment on its accuracy, but the numerous user comments about it was one of the factors that scared me off from getting one).

As for other features, the Metz' secondary reflector up front is handy at times too. The manual control steps on power (1/3 steps down) is also a big help when shooting objects. Having to press it every time to adjust instead of a scroll wheel is a bummer though, and the missing sync port makes it operable only on wireless mode, no cable sync.

02-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I got my Metz, and was surprised to see it only needed around 2 or 1.5 seconds to recycle a full power blast with fresh XX eneloops
I'll bet those batteries were pretty damn hot when you removed them. One reason why I suspect the AF540 has a slower cycle time to keep the batteries within operational temperatures - if they get too hot they lose charge because heat accelerates chemical activity.
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the earlier Metz 58 AF-1, and used it in comparison to my Pentax 540, on my K20D. I really did like everything about the Metz better: build quality, features, etc., EXCEPT its operation, with all the menus and trying to remember which way to get into the other features. The operation of the Pentax is far more intuitive, and that was one of the major reasons I stuck with the that. But the "smart mode" for Auto-thyristor (or whatever it is that they call it), is really excellent in the way it functions as an auto-thyristor while still reading the camera's settings. It was so good there really was no need to use the P-TTL mode. Also in manual mode I believe the Metz could be powered down all the way to 1/256, while the Pentax only goes to 1/64. If the Metz had simpler, more intuitive controls, perhaps more "hard buttons" instead of a bunch of menu scrolling, I might consider it again over the Pentax.
02-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'll bet those batteries were pretty damn hot when you removed them. One reason why I suspect the AF540 has a slower cycle time to keep the batteries within operational temperatures - if they get too hot they lose charge because heat accelerates chemical activity.
The Metz stops the flash from firing at full power for 15 consecutive pops, to keep the unit from overheating. But that's a good point. The 58 AF-2 is a real battery drain.

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
But the "smart mode" for Auto-thyristor (or whatever it is that they call it), is really excellent in the way it functions as an auto-thyristor while still reading the camera's settings. It was so good there really was no need to use the P-TTL mode. Also in manual mode I believe the Metz could be powered down all the way to 1/256
Indeed, the A-mode is really reliable. I use it mostly in low-light or events with mixed lighting. It's hard stepping up and down with the Metz' power levels... but yeah those 1/3 steps are an awesome level of control. Pentax should opt to make the Metz 58 AF-2 as the model to beat... or the Nikon SB900

02-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #50
Pentaxian

he Metz stops the flash from firing at full power for 15 consecutive pops
That is a sensible choice, though I wonder which flash would get the most of the batteries at full power.
02-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #51
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
doh ... and my 540 is only less than a year old.
time to wait and see what it does.
hope it has save setting function too and a proper sleep mode rather than, deep sleep mode never to wake up again until switch off and back on lol
02-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Indeed, the A-mode is really reliable. I use it mostly in low-light or events with mixed lighting. It's hard stepping up and down with the Metz' power levels... but yeah those 1/3 steps are an awesome level of control. Pentax should opt to make the Metz 58 AF-2 as the model to beat... or the Nikon SB900
My old 40MZ2 did so (with SCA3000 adapters) 15 years ago. Nothing new. And yes this is damn so useful
The interesting thing is, old flashes like 40MZ are cheap as hell 2nd hand. So please... anybody looking for such a feature does NOT need a new flash. If you can secure a recent SCA3072 (I think that's the current one, Matt, our Metz flash expert on this forum could confirm this) adapter and a 40MZ (or any later high end SCA3000 system flash) and you're set
The let down is: no support of analog (pre SF era) bodies. You'll need SCA300 adapter, you won't get such a nice A mode and P mode does NOT work.

Metz really is a flash master (no I'm not linked to them in any way).
02-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
My old 40MZ2 did so (with SCA3000 adapters) 15 years ago. Nothing new. And yes this is damn so useful
The interesting thing is, old flashes like 40MZ are cheap as hell 2nd hand. So please... anybody looking for such a feature does NOT need a new flash. If you can secure a recent SCA3072 (I think that's the current one, Matt, our Metz flash expert on this forum could confirm this) adapter and a 40MZ (or any later high end SCA3000 system flash) and you're set
The let down is: no support of analog (pre SF era) bodies. You'll need SCA300 adapter, you won't get such a nice A mode and P mode does NOT work.

Metz really is a flash master (no I'm not linked to them in any way).
I have an old Metz (32 CT 1 I think? From 1983-85 some time) but I haven't dared trying it on my K-5 since the voltage is supposed to be in the borderland of the acceptable. Great flash, only a bit picky with batteries. Unfortunately the SCA-adaptor failed after just a few years so I lost the wonderful TTL-capability with the LX :-(