Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 178 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Moreover, lack of 3rd party lens support is a symptom. Those manufacturers find the K-mount market to small to be of any interest. But a few years ago, that was market apparently much more interesting. In other words: K-mount market share is shrinking fast, no matter what the sales figures say. A typical patient that claims to be feeling fine, while the symptoms prove otherwise.
Not necessarily; with a global economic crisis, natural and not-so-natural disasters, things aren't as easy for the 3rd-party manufacturers. Maybe it's just much harder for the 3rd-party makers to support lower volume products? And FTR, there's no "lack of 3rd party lens support", since 3rd-party makers like Sigma are launching new K-mount products (except for more specialized/lower volume lenses).
I'm amazed you're suggesting we should ignore sales figures when talking about market share... how on Earth could we otherwise evaluate it?

01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Some days I think I am the only one who is satisfied on here!
I suppose that's what makes you the Voice of Reason.

01-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Some days I think I am the only one who is satisfied on here!
I'm very satisfied with my gear right now. Doesn't mean I won't criticize boneheaded decisions of behavior from Pentax though, I'm just not a good Hymn Singer.
01-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #139

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
An opportunity to go bankrupt? Non-existent 3rd party lens support is a very good reason for lots of potential customers NOT to buy into a Pentax system. Probably an even bigger reason then for example lack of FF format, or lack of up to date flash system.
That's what I was thinking when I wrote the post. I know people who are moving to other brands because those manufacturers do not offer the same lenses for K than for EF or Nikon mounts, and lenses that are developed by others but with Pentax brand are more expensive, much more expensive indeed.
E.g. Tamron 18-270 = $649, Pentax 18-270 = $799, (B&H prices). That's a 23% more expensive for Pentax. So yes, I'm a bit concerned.

01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Sometimes I think Pentax dislikes Pentax...
No, that was Hoya - Ricoh seems to be warming up to Pentax.
01-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
E.g. Tamron 18-270 = $649, Pentax 18-270 = $799, (B&H prices). That's a 23% more expensive for Pentax. So yes, I'm a bit concerned.
What did you expect? (no I'm not justifying it). But really, they wouldn't sell it at close the price, most John Doe would understand it is the same lens. (Tricky reasoning, but I'm pretty much sure it actually works that way).
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
What did you expect? (no I'm not justifying it). But really, they wouldn't sell it at close the price, most John Doe would understand it is the same lens. (Tricky reasoning, but I'm pretty much sure it actually works that way).
Basic marketing. Price to indicate cachet. Eg Apple. So a very good point.

01-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Is Pentax aware of the numerous reports of SDM failures, with many users reporting two and three SDM repairs on the same lens? Does Pentax plan to improve the SDM design and will they stand behind their SDM lenses with multi-year warranties as other manufacturers do?
I know this has, effectively, been asked before but I agree it is a significant stumbling block for Pentax (even if they have potentially fixed it - but I'm certainly not convinced they have). SDM has stopped me pulling the trigger on a Pentax lens twice now (when there were decent prices during those Friday specials - looking at 3rd party alternatives now) and I know I'm not the only one.

Surely it would make commercial sense to start releasing lenses with a new auto focus (maybe "DC" like the 18-135 which seems to be Ok) or at the very least a revised SDM2?

I guess the question is something like "There is a negative perception of SDM reliability in the community, what plans if any does Pentax have for addressing this?"

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 01-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #144

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
OK, that's right, but I'd like to have the opportunity to choose, so in case I can't afford one I can get the other, or on the contrary,
have a specific lens like Sigma's 120-300 f2.8. It's just to have a wider catalogue.

Last edited by jv.pentax; 01-28-2013 at 04:05 PM.
01-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #145
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I know this has, effectively, been asked before but I agree it is a significant stumbling block for Pentax (even if they have potentially fixed it - but I'm certainly not convinced they have). SDM has stopped me pulling the trigger on a Pentax lens twice now (when there were decent prices during those Friday specials - looking at 3rd party alternatives now) and I know I'm not the only one.

Surely it would make commercial sense to start releasing lenses with a new auto focus (maybe "DC" like the 18-135 which seems to be Ok) or at the very least a revised SDM2?

I guess the question is something like "There is a negative perception of SDM reliability in the community, what plans if any does Pentax have for addressing this?"
With some other kind of relatively minor change like that they could do versions 2 of DA* lenses that includes new HD coatings, new DC motor or even an officially stated SDM v2, etc... and they can save face by ever publicly admitting any flaw with SDM(as an official company statement type thing instead of comment from an engineer in an interview).
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #146

I recently jumped back into Pentax digital (always had film equipment) with the K-5 IIs, and I love it. Kudos to Pentax for getting rid of the AA filter, providing DNG, keeping things small, etc.

One thing I would like is a 26mm or 27mm lens (40mm equivalent), as that's a FL I like to use. And I don't like zooms, sooo....

Also, I have to comment on the lack of innovation on Pentax's part. Aside from the K-7/K-5, they haven't produced much lately that's really unique and useful to the photographic community. Unique, yes, but they seem to be answering a question nobody's asking. In the film days, they would often come out with groundbreaking products. Now, they're just following the crowd. Perhaps Hoya had something to do with it. I'm hoping Ricoh can jump start Pentax's imagination soon. What I like about Pentax is that they're (ususally) different, but in a useful, practical way. Dare to be different again, Pentax. And I'm not talking about full frame, either. That'd be nice, but I'm happy with APS-C.

Just my two cents worth. Not trying to start a war.
01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Now, they're just following the crowd.
Yeah, right, cause everybody has the lowest priced MF DSLR, the world's smallest ILC, a MILC that mounts DSLR lenses, an APS-C body with no AA filter, a mid-level body with WR, dual wheels & 100% pentaprism. I think the current popularity of pancake lenses is copycatting Pentax.

You can criticize Pentax for some things, but originality is not one of them.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-28-2013 at 09:14 PM.
01-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #148
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
OK, that's right, but I'd like to have the opportunity to choose, so in case I can't afford one I can get the other, or on the contrary,
have a specific lens like Sigma's 120-300 f2.8. It's just to have a wider catalogue.
I'm using this post to illustrate a problem.
I don't think it's plausible from us to expect Pentax shall duplicate all lenses in their third parties catalogues, and sell them back to public for same or very similar price point, but with Pentax badge on them. In addition, we'd also scream for added WR, better coating, metal construction, etc. And if the price is different by $1, we'll go mad and proclaim Pentax is doomed. Or whatever else.

I think then we are nuts, and propositions like that are ridiculous.

Instead, why not something new and unique? Say, Pentax did come with DA70 and DA15. Why didn't anyone thought of that, but instead screamed for more Sigma-like lens drones? Now, DA70 et al are truly off the hook, original lens design approaches. Unique offers. Why don't more people think along those lines?

Last edited by Uluru; 01-28-2013 at 07:38 PM.
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #149
Forum Member

Is it safe to assume due to the lack of leaks we wont be seeing an APS-c nor the less likely FF? A week before Photokina I believe Russia Pentax leaked a list of the 9 items coming out at the show. Its too quiet for me to get excited and its barely a couple days away. With the K5 literally almost gone from Amazon and with a $500 savings in their gift cards I really am leaving it down to the wire. Now all I have to decide is whether go quick with the K5 or go somewhere else. Last trade show I hunkered down and told myself Ill wait a little longer but I cant keep 'wait a little longer'er. I just hope we get some hint of the next pro DSLR whether it be the APS-c or the FF. I love Pentax but I cant wait forever.
01-28-2013, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #150
Veteran Member

I really want to hear some questions about support for "hacking" and firmware updates to add an official option to switch between SDM and screwdrive.
Closed Thread