Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry to disagree, and I could be misremembering, but doesn't the 645D have a tethering option or a Beta that was out? If so, wouldn't that indicate at least some interest in tethering by Pentax-Ricoh? Didn't they have official tethering back in the K10D days, or sometime back then?
Yes, they had tethering before Hoya took over. There is a minimal paid tethering program for the 645D. It took until after the Ricoh merger to actually appear, and it only appeared because the idea of a professional medium format camera without tethering is a joke. If Ricoh had any intention of providing tethering for the enthusiast line it would have been out by now.

01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #182

QuoteOriginally posted by tomanytakumars Quote
Could you please ask them to deliver my following wishlist next year. ;-)

1. K02 with a viewfinder and a better (MX or K5 like) design
2. An affordable 400mm 5,6 lens - for less then 1.200 Euros
3. The perfect K5II as FF mirrorless FF with great focus peaking abilities for all my mf lenses.
Very much on target.

1) The next Pentax needs to be a KAF camera body with an integrated EVF. Underneath the K-01 is a great camera. Engineer a compact KAF body with an EVF, styled similar to the classic ME/MX, and it would be a very functional camera.

2) I would also like to see a KAF mount module for the GXR.

3) an EVF for the Q series is absolutely necessary. The Q is fast becoming a wildlife platform of choice. The crop with modest telephoto lenses is a wonderful combination. The issue is that the LCD is inadequate for focusing outdoors. Glare is an issue. A new Q varient that is weather sealed and either with an integrated EVF or a interface port for a shoe mounted EVF is really needed.

Using a hoodman type loup against the LCD is an awkward work around to having a proper viewfinder.
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Pentax Canada and I believe Europe offer two-year warranties.
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
In the EU countries the seller must offer a two year warrantie. The Italian dealer of Pentax offers four years.
I meant 2 year Standard warranty worldwide,that might be the case in Canada or Euro,however "cr Kennedy" ( authorised Pentax distributor ) only offers 1 x year Standard warranty on any Pentax lens purchase here in oz , it is up to the buyer to Purchase Exended warranty if the camera retail outlet offers that option for Extended warranty.
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel the availability of high quality lenses (especially long focal length) is Pentax's most significant weakness. I am very happy with my K 5 with my only regret in switching from the SONY Alpha to Pentax in lieu of Nikon is the limited lens options available with Pentax. This includes both lenses from Pentax and from third parties. I would be interested in knowing what plans Pentax has to increase lens selection. In my case the DA*300 is a terrific lens but too short for many wildlife situations. The 560 was announced some time ago and is still not on the market. What are plans from 300 to 500 for example with relatively fast glass? The issue of K-5 versus K-5II versus K-5IIs is fairly simple for me, I'll probably get a used K-5 body when the price drops further. The issue of full frame is too far out for me to consider without a complete FF lens offering.

01-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The issue of full frame is too far out for me to consider without a complete FF lens offering.
There's no Pentax-branded FF zooms. However there's pretty much everything else already on the shelf. 12mm to 560mm, zooms and primes... far more lenses than any new system (M-4/3, 4/3, A-mount, etc) have ever launched with.
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #186
Veteran Member

So it looks like one of the lenses that will be announced might be the Tokina 12-28 f/4?

Tokina exhibits 70-200mm F4 FX and 12-28mm F4 DX lenses at CP+: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 01-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #187
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
... Last trade show I hunkered down and told myself Ill wait a little longer but I cant keep 'wait a little longer'er. I just hope we get some hint of the next pro DSLR whether it be the APS-c or the FF. I love Pentax but I cant wait forever.
Since last year's CP+, Pentax has issued:
K-01 (and XS lens), K30, K-5 II and K-5 IIs, Q10, MX-1, Efina, WG-3, WG-10, few new lenses for K-mount, one for Q mount, K-to-Q adapter. Is that bad?

However, I think PentaxForums folks want definite answers to their
— *large sensor size* questions and dilemmas,
— the clearer idea of the DSLR and large-size sensor mirrorless product strategy under Ricoh

and that is understandable.

Will the K-5IIs be dethroned right now at CP+ with an all new model? I sincerely doubt that. The new model may come, but at a higher price than K-5IIs. But how much higher, and "at what point exactly"? It's a matter of battling people's perceptions.

However, considering that both Canon, Nikon and Sony watch each other and try to match certain expectations from each, maybe Pentax is doing same. I believe that introduction of the new low-grade FF cameras from Nikon and Canon has somewhat baffled everyone's upper-level APS-C strategy and commitments. Maybe even Nikon has no clue how to proceed there, and will they.

If Pentax waits for Nikon and Canon to first show their cards in that regard, and then deliver their own answer to that (perhaps not specs-wise, but rather price-wise), I can understand why that brings anxiety around.

01-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #188

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Really? FF is possible too. Tethering, updated flashes, normal lens prices, you name it...

What if it does support peaking but Pentax doesn't want to spend any R&D resources on something they won't get their investment back on? It will only cost them.
They put peaking on the Q which didn't have it to begin with, but did support it. They could have left it out to make people want the Q10 instead but they didn't. So that upgrade probably cost them.
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
They put peaking on the Q which didn't have it to begin with, but did support it. They could have left it out to make people want the Q10 instead but they didn't. So that upgrade probably cost them.
That and the price drop are what pushed me over the edge on buying the Q.
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #190
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Follow-up to this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/213544-cp-interview-qu...ml#post2258681

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread