Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #121
Veteran Member

Just touch them on these:

Flash - They seriously NEED to look at it and overhaul everything about it. Sync speed, accurate pTTL, wireless triggers, and stuffs..

Lenses - Inform them to do a reality check by reading more photography magazines of OTHER camps and observe their lenses. Heck, even m4/3 has good fast lenses. And don't bullcrap about design and all that nonsense.. They have did it in their line of legacies, why can't now?

AF system - Not for me to comment since i'm all the way manual but i did use them once awhile and i feel the AF points are much too big with limited spots in the frame.

Body - I don't care about FF.. Tell them to stop playing the stupid Apple game, will they? Take a look at the bodies made currently.. They are like a little bit here, and a little bit there.. Even their lenses... Quickshift for some, but WR for some and then not so fast for some. What is this? iPhone camera?? Milking users dry with test bodies as decoy until the next product?

01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #122
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is Pentax going to establish a marketing department?
(and net of shrines for worshipping to Pentax, the Great)
01-25-2013, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Is Pentax going to establish a marketing department?
(and net of shrines for worshipping to Pentax, the Great)
To my mind there are two areas where Nikon & Canon both eat Pentax's lunch:

1. No tethering API (at all). This is crazy. The functionality is exposed over USB (se pk-tether) but it's completely undocumented / supported meanaing that software developers like Adobe / Apple aren't able to incorporate Pentax into automated studio workflows (i.e. shooting directly from lightroom) as has been available for years on Canon / Nikon ... sorta 10 years behind the times here.

2. The Flash system. Especially the maximum trigger sync speed. Enough said about this already in this thread.
01-26-2013, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #124
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Adam, any chance that you could give us a rundown of which questions you like/plan to ask so far from this thread? Thanks.

Here is another feature suggestion/idea that I think I saw somewhere else around here but should include in this thread. A lens adjustment auto calibration mode. Here is the basic rundown of how I see it basically working, the user prints out a test chart for a specific focal length and tapes it to a surface, puts their camera on a tripod at a specific distance and angle from the chart, enters calibration mode, and the camera then focuses using PDAF (records where it is on the focal range), flips up the mirror and uses CDAF (records where it is on the focal range), then stores the delta as a lens adjustment. Maybe it could be repeated with different focal points, at different distances, or under different lighting conditions but that is basically the gist of it. Seems doable and it would be a useful unique feature, right? It would also probably save them a bundle on service costs if people send cameras or lenses in for FF/BF problems.

Last edited by mikemike; 01-26-2013 at 02:29 PM.
01-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #125

well in germany there are only 2 really big electronic markets owned by the same company ... and they are welln known for extorting manufactures... they have big adds on posters for canon cameras for example... "hey canon give us xxxx canon 600d, we will put adds for it everywhere but pay less then everybody else... if u dont do it we go to nikon."

thats how smaller brands are totally put away from attention .. atleast here in germany.
how should (or could) pentax compete with that without ruining their income?
01-27-2013, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #126

QuoteOriginally posted by atkinsonr Quote
To my mind there are two areas where Nikon & Canon both eat Pentax's lunch:

1. No tethering API (at all). This is crazy. The functionality is exposed over USB (se pk-tether) but it's completely undocumented / supported meanaing that software developers like Adobe / Apple aren't able to incorporate Pentax into automated studio workflows (i.e. shooting directly from lightroom) as has been available for years on Canon / Nikon ... sorta 10 years behind the times here.

2. The Flash system. Especially the maximum trigger sync speed. Enough said about this already in this thread.
The lack of support for tethering and published API’s has been one of the big reasons I switched brands. PK-tether was usable on a PC, but with my new system I now can tether with a PC, tablet or phone both wired or wireless and at a very low cost. Since Canon & Nikon publish their API’s, applications are easily written for those cameras.
01-27-2013, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #127
mee
Veteran Member

The last time we had a QA session, at least 80% of the questions posed were not answered. Pentax reps took your printed questions documents and, I suspect, probably threw them in the trash on the way to the door.. :c (

01-28-2013, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #128

I agree with questions I read about flash system improvement, tethering , and new image processor.

And talking abot lenses:

3rd party lens manufacturers are stop developing (or less developing) for K mount. Would you consider this a risk?

are there any alliances between 3d party and Pentax? (e.g. Tamron 18-270 vs Pentax 18-270)?
01-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jv.pentax Quote
3rd party lens manufacturers are stop developing (or less developing) for K mount. Would you consider this a risk?
More like an opportunity. Less competition for Pentax lenses.

are there any alliances between 3d party and Pentax? (e.g. Tamron 18-270 vs Pentax 18-270)?
We already know that the Pentax 18-270 is a Tamron design, as was the DA 18-250 and the even older FA 28-200.
01-28-2013, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
More like an opportunity. Less competition for Pentax lenses.
An opportunity to go bankrupt? Non-existent 3rd party lens support is a very good reason for lots of potential customers NOT to buy into a Pentax system. Probably an even bigger reason then for example lack of FF format, or lack of up to date flash system.

Moreover, lack of 3rd party lens support is a symptom. Those manufacturers find the K-mount market to small to be of any interest. But a few years ago, that was market apparently much more interesting. In other words: K-mount market share is shrinking fast, no matter what the sales figures say. A typical patient that claims to be feeling fine, while the symptoms prove otherwise.
01-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Man, for a group of people dedicated to loving Pentax...we sure seem to dislike Pentax.
01-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Man, for a group of people dedicated to loving Pentax...we sure seem to dislike Pentax.
It's "tough love"
01-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #133
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Some days I think I am the only one who is satisfied on here!
01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Those manufacturers find the K-mount market to[o] small to be of any interest.
Actually, Schneider-Kreuznach is announcing new lenses for K-mount:

Photokina 2012: Novelties from Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH
01-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #135
mee
Veteran Member

Sometimes I think Pentax dislikes Pentax...
Closed Thread