Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Yeah, they are technically full Pentax-Ricoh. But atleast in the Hoya period, in effect they appeared to be just a distributor.
Yes, I agree and their staff acted like Pentax was a joke IMHO. How you can be the head of a national branch of a Japanese company and talk in glowing terms about your use of a competitors product on your website is beyond me. So, now that the CEO of the home office has assumed direct authority over the US office things should be slightly different

01-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yeah, too bad they didn't ask someone with pretty good answers.
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

In marketing they have changed focus to emphasize advantages over the competition and highlight unique features. What a revolutionary concept...

Thanks, for your summary Mistral75 but I think a number of the points you made are unwarranted extrapolations of what JC was saying, potentially without any substance to it. For instance, I would not expect the GRD interface to influence Pentax cameras, just on the basis of JC's ideas of what the benefits of the merger of the engineering teams are.
01-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
bvg

Photos: Albums
Yes, Pentax has at least one marketing person (maybe part time).

01-21-2013, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Anytime I see the words "In-depth Interview" and "John Carlson" together I have to laugh......
01-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
His "in depth" answers are essentially "yes, Pentax is still in business and yes, there will be new products introduced in the future".
01-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
His "in depth" answers are essentially "yes, Pentax is still in business and yes, there will be new products introduced in the future".
"... but Pentax Japan hasn't told me what and when."
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
"... but Pentax Japan hasn't told me what and when."
Yes, "they" keep him in the dark.

01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I'm sure you all would do much better; send your resumes to PRIAC.
01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So you are saying you couldn't do a better job than JC?
I think you could.

I also wonder whether Pentax USA would replace JC with someone better, if someone made themselves available.
Pentax USA seem to be happy with JC (however they manage to).
01-22-2013, 05:23 PM - 4 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Could we do any worse?

Let me practice.......

"We don't currently have any information on that."
"Yes, we are looking at making another camera.... eventually, but I don't know any specifications....... don't quote me on that."
"We received that information a few months ago, but the encryption manual was lost in the move."
"Do you speak Japanese? I have a dozen voice messages from corporate and I don't have a clue what they say".
"The big news is we are working on a deal with Tokina to provide our customers with the same lenses at twice the price".
"We will be getting back into the medium format market very soon."
"We are looking at adding more color options to our line-up, so a full frame camera might have to wait until engineering figure out how to make pink cameras."
"We have been keeping a close eye on Fisher-Price and we think we know what direction the market is moving".
01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
So you are saying you couldn't do a better job than JC?
I think you could.

I also wonder whether Pentax USA would replace JC with someone better, if someone made themselves available.
Pentax USA seem to be happy with JC (however they manage to).
I know that I couldn't, because I am not habitually cheerful and outgoing. You need someone who is those AND has at least half a clue about the product.

That means that when you get stupid questions from "reporters" or media types you have to smile, be pleasant, and answer the question they ought to have asked while making them think you answered their question. You must also be able to cast your product in a positive light while NEVER, ever, under any circumstances either a) lying or b) denigrating your competition. You must also never, ever, under any circumstances admit publicly to owning a competitors product and/or preferring it over your company's product. Finally, and this one is very hard from some people, you must never refer to your own company as "they", "them", "those guys", or "those guys in Japan". You must say "Our engineers" or alternatively "Pentax's engineers", "Our Company" or alternatively "Pentax" or "Pentax-Ricoh" and in a pinch you can say "Home Office" instead of "those guys in Japan".

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-22-2013 at 05:35 PM.
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
So you are saying you couldn't do a better job than JC? I think you could.
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Could we do any worse?
Anyone can do a better job... until they actually have to do it

And let's be honest with the "they/them" thing, he said that in a certain context, and not extensively as it would seem, from all the JC bashing:
"what the engineers did with this camera"..."They really looked at those old cameras when they were designing this camera"
and then:
"What they will include, we'll have to see in the near future." - which appears to me to also refer to the engineering dept.
Otherwise - did I miss something? - it's all about "we". And Pentax/Pentax Japan.

FFS, there is a separation between Pentax Japan (and more specifically, its R&D department) and PRIAC. You're nitpicking, and this means JC is doing a much better job than you're willing to admit.