Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In-depth interview with John Carlson

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Imaging Resource just published this interview. I think they asked some pretty good questions.

Edit: See the next post for the real link. I had posted the Panasonic one by mistake. Apologies.

Last edited by JPT; 01-16-2013 at 06:35 AM.
01-16-2013, 05:58 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, too bad they didn't ask someone with pretty good answers.

You have the wrong link BTW - for those that (shudder) actually want to read what John Carlson had to say here is the link - but don't blame me:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/01/15/qa-with-pentaxs-john-carlson...-mx-1-and-more

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-16-2013 at 10:19 AM.
01-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Silly me! Of course, that's the link I meant to post. And I agree, he didn't seem to be able to give very full replies most of the time.
01-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Silly me! Of course, that's the link I meant to post. And I agree, he didn't seem to be able to give very full replies most of the time.
You should, well should is a strong term, read his previous interviews (or look at the video). So many factual errors you'd think he worked for Penske not Pentax.

01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link. I saw one "Japan hasn't told me" answer in there; reminds me of the last tech support reply I received from Randall
01-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Randall...lol.
01-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The really strange part is how he refers to his own company as "they" and "Pentax has confirmed" as if they are some completely different entity from who he works for.

I'm also not sure how Pentax has come to the conclusion that Marc Newson branding was the main reason people bought the K-01. I always liked the way it looks but it was far from my main reason for buying it. Loads of other people seem to have bought it despite its styling.

I was glad to hear the strong hint that enthusiast-oriented Ricoh compacts are coming.

01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The really strange part is how he refers to his own company as "they" and "Pentax has confirmed" as if they are some completely different entity from who he works for.

I'm also not sure how Pentax has come to the conclusion that Marc Newson branding was the main reason people bought the K-01. I always liked the way it looks but it was far from my main reason for buying it. Loads of other people seem to have bought it despite its styling.

I was glad to hear the strong hint that enthusiast-oriented Ricoh compacts are coming.
You hit one of the main issues with old John on the head - it's "they" this and "they" that. Who does he represent - Penske?
01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think you're expecting too much, from someone not directly involved in R&D (including pretending he is ). And JC managed to answer pretty well in this interview, except for the lack of an AA filter - this information is actually available on pentax.jp.
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think some of you are a little harsh with this interview. Speaking for myself, I have learned some interesting pieces of information:

1/ Ricoh have been focusing on changing Pentax management, the way Pentax did business, launched products,... more than working on the products themselves. The MX-1 was only marginally influenced by Ricoh. Ricoh’s influence in Pentax products and their design will be more noticeable in 2014 after the merger of the two engineering teams which took place two months ago (only).

2/ In particular Pentax future products could take advantage of the graphic user interface of Ricoh GRD.

3/ 2012 sales exceeded those of the previous year (in the United States? Worldwide? This is not specified).

4/ K-II has to be seen as an updated model, an evolution, rather than a complete new model, but that does not mean that its lifespan will be shorter than that of its predecessors.

5/ In terms of hardware, SAFOX X in K-5 II mainly differs from the previous SAFOX with its new, improved Fresnel lens (already improved on K-30 compared to K-5), which allows more accurate autofocus. There are some software enhancements on top of that.

6/ K-5 IIs sells better than K-5 II (in the United States? Worldwide? This is not specified).

7/ (confirmation) The Prime II from K-5 has been used for K-5 II rather than the Prime M from K-01 and K-30, although the latter is more efficient in terms of contrast detection autofocus, because of the 14-bit output Prime M cannot handle.

8/ Do not expect articulated screens in Pentax DSLRs in the short term due to their negative impact on size (mainly) and weather sealing.

9/ (as suspected) This is the size of the sensor that has led to the selection of optical image stabilization rather than sensor stabilization for 645D (what about the future 24x36 camera?).

10/ HD should quite widely replace SMC save for kit lenses and entry-level lenses.

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-16-2013 at 08:45 AM.
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Seems strange to me that they asked him about the 560mm lens design, but didn't ask about an update on a release date for it. Is there a know date for that?
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Seems strange to me that they asked him about the 560mm lens design, but didn't ask about an update on a release date for it. Is there a know date for that?
Adam already answered this question in another thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
End of January in the US, dunno about Europe but I'd expect it to be in the same ballpark.
to which froeschle added:

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
In Japan this seems to be February 2.
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Official release date in Japan: 2013年2月2日発売

EDIT: ¥ 537,466 @ amazon.co.jp

Last edited by froeschle; 01-16-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Price
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I think that reading any JC's interview tends to be pretty depressing. He doesn't seem to know that much about what the Pentax Japan mothership plans, can't tell much of the little that he knows - and cares even less.
01-16-2013, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I think some of you are a little harsh with this interview. Speaking for myself, I have learned some interesting pieces of information:

1/ Ricoh have been focusing on changing Pentax management, the way Pentax did business, launched products,... more than working on the products themselves. The MX-1 was only marginally influenced by Ricoh. Ricoh’s influence in Pentax products and their design will be more noticeable in 2014 after the merger of the two engineering teams which took place two months ago (only).

2/ In particular Pentax future products could take advantage of the graphic user interface of Ricoh GRD.

3/ 2012 sales exceeded those of the previous year (in the United States? Worldwide? This is not specified).

4/ K-II has to be seen as an updated model, an evolution, rather than a complete new model, but that does not mean that its lifespan will be shorter than that of its predecessors.

5/ In terms of hardware, SAFOX X in K-5 II mainly differs from the previous SAFOX with its new, improved Fresnel lens (already improved on K-30 compared to K-5), which allows more accurate autofocus. There are some software enhancements on top of that.

6/ K-5 IIs sells better than K-5 II (in the United States? Worldwide? This is not specified).

7/ (confirmation) The Prime II from K-5 has been used for K-5 II rather than the Prime M from K-01 and K-30, although the latter is more efficient in terms of contrast detection autofocus, because of the 14-bit output Prime M cannot handle.

8/ Do not expect articulated screens in Pentax DSLRs in the short term due to their negative impact on size (mainly) and weather sealing.

9/ (as suspected) This is the size of the sensor that has led to the selection of optical image stabilization rather than sensor stabilization for 645D (what about the future 24x36 camera?).

10/ HD should quite widely replace SMC save for kit lenses and entry-level lenses.
No, I don't think we're too harsh. Have you read his other interviews in the past? Have you watched his botched video interview on the new 06 lens where he didn't even know the facts about the lens focal length? Did you witness his petulant behavior here when asked real questions in a polite way but when he ducked and weaved he was pressed to actually answer and then went away in a huff? John Carlson has a MUCH longer history than this one interview with many here.