Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First production K20D's ...

are now in the hands of end users. Feb 21 - Congratulations Pentax!!!

02-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to hear. do you know of anyone personally that has it, or is it this was the date? (I wasn't following it that close to know)

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but was wondering about it a few weeks now and this seems to be a good place as a related topic...I'm wondering if there's any chance that 'early adopters' might get burned in any way, by not getting some late production 'tweeks' in their runs? I'm tempted to become one of the 'early adopters' as I have to part with my pretty badly beat-up K10D to see if it can even be fixed, so figured a 'step-up' to the K20D might be in order. But I have this worry...
02-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Great to hear. do you know of anyone personally that has it, or is it this was the date? (I wasn't following it that close to know)

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but was wondering about it a few weeks now and this seems to be a good place as a related topic...I'm wondering if there's any chance that 'early adopters' might get burned in any way, by not getting some late production 'tweeks' in their runs? I'm tempted to become one of the 'early adopters' as I have to part with my pretty badly beat-up K10D to see if it can even be fixed, so figured a 'step-up' to the K20D might be in order. But I have this worry...
I'm going to wait about 3-4 months myself for the "dust" to settle. (and give me time to pump up my piggy bank)

I don't know the person but there is one being delivered today about 75 miles from me in Logan, Utah. ...

See this link at the 'other' place ...

K20D body at Calumet: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it would be a very wise Rickster to wait for a couple of months (I will probably wait 6 months, cash in on the usual 1/2 year out price drop) as it is not fun being a product tester. Downloading a ton of patches and updates, etc. I was very surprised that 1/2 the features on the camera that was released for the big trade show did not work and appeared to be big fluffy promises. I am still let down with only 3 fps, and no improvements on the auto focus. As far a live view (I fear that is a slide back one step closer to point and shoot camera). I want to hear about the battery performance too.

Last edited by spyglass; 02-22-2008 at 01:29 PM.
02-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

isn't it still only 3fps...?
02-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I am still let down with only 5 fps, and no improvements on the auto focus.
Good news, then! It's not 5 fps at all! It's 3!

QuoteQuote:
As far a live view (I fear that is a slide back one step closer to point and shoot camera).
Not sure what the connection is there. What do you fear from point and shoot cameras?

QuoteQuote:
I want to hear about the battery performance too.
The CIPA rating is for 720 shots (half with flash), and the K10D is 730. So basically the same.
02-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
are now in the hands of end users. Feb 21 - Congratulations Pentax!!!

Yes it's a pleasant surprise. Pentax actually beat their announced release date. Two posters in the other forum have copies already.

I ordered mine from Calumet Photo on Wednesday and it's due to be delivered tomorrow!

Regards, Jim
02-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

We'll be waiting on the reviews Jim...

02-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Yes it's a pleasant surprise. Pentax actually beat their announced release date. Two posters in the other forum have copies already.

I ordered mine from Calumet Photo on Wednesday and it's due to be delivered tomorrow!

Regards, Jim
ColorMeister Jim!

Will be VERY interested in your appraisal of the K20D.
02-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

chasing light...
Check out that for a sort of review with the k20d
02-22-2008, 03:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Poor Ben

We all assumed he'd be among the first to get one on march 1st
02-22-2008, 04:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
We all assumed he'd be among the first to get one on march 1st
Getting mine next week...

Ben
02-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
RaduA

Also mine is coming next week. The price here is 1005 Euros body only and 1083 Euros with 18-55 II lens (19% V.A.T. included).
It's kind of useless to say how anxious am I, doesn't it ...?!

Radu
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Good news, then! It's not 5 fps at all! It's 3!

Sorry, type error, meant to say only 3fps, was hoping for 5fps

Not sure what the connection is there. What do you fear from point and shoot cameras?

I fear that often manufactures will add useless features to try and capture a larger market place of basic users. Live View seems like a waste of resources and money The energy could have gone into a more productive path (like a bigger display). I also wonder about sensor heating, additional dust attraction, etc (if you actually use the live view). What is next, start capturing crap quality video, add MP3 player, and some games.

The CIPA rating is for 720 shots (half with flash), and the K10D is 730. So basically the same.
I am more concerned with the battery charging / discharging, & life rating.
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just got an email from RITZ - mine shipped today.............