Photos: Albums
Ricoh GRD V with APS sensor?

Mmmm

Ricoh GR Digital V to Feature an APS-C Sensor

01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a boner then I saw the picture and it went down.
GRD are pocketable!!!
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The camera in the image doesn't look that big. It's just that lens.

Maybe this is why the K-01 was discontinued so fast.
01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I had a boner then I saw the picture and it went down.
GRD are pocketable!!!
That's a pic of an earlier GRD with an extension tube and filter/s. A step-up ring too.

A GRD with an APSC already exists anyway - the GXR A12 28mm. The lens camera combo is not overly large but not collapsible either, so it's not small enough to be a shirt-pocketable compact.

Doesn't need to go as big as APSC anyway. Just a 1" like in the RX100 would be ideal - as big as they can squeeze in there and still have 28mm and/or 40mm pancake/collapsible lenses.

01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very cool, if true!
01-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, if true and it all checks out. Someone on another forum pointed out a connection (or not) with a recent patent application for a 27mm f1.9 which would make bang on 43mm FF equivalent.
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They also had a 23mm patent which might suggest they were trying out alternatives. I think I'd prefer 23mm (35mm in real money) as a fixed focal length.

01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Bet you we'll see it at CP+

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Banned

Note that the 1" CX sensors used in RX100 (Sony's) or that used in Nikon V1 (Aptina's) are not listed in trade catalogues — at least not Sony's right now. Nikon has an agreement with Aptina (12 months of exclusive use) and Sony perhaps wants to take advantage of it to advance their own camera compacts. So maybe we can expect camera manufacturers other than Sony and Nikon coming with their cameras using that size sensors in late 2013 or early 2014, hardly before that.

However, I think that if an APS-C sensor is used, then a benchmark for size would be Leica X1 & X2. If Ricoh can make it better than Leica, they have a sure winner. Actually, if they make it less clunky, faster in operation and slightly less expensive than Fuji X100(s), and integrate better LCD than Leica (which isn't hard task at all!), they can have the best APS-C compact in the market.

Last edited by Uluru; 01-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.
01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Note that the 1" CX sensors used in RX100 (Sony's) or that used in Nikon V1 (Aptina's) are not listed in trade catalogues — at least not Sony's right now. Nikon has an agreement with Aptina (12 months of exclusive use) and Sony perhaps wants to take advantage of it to advance their own camera compacts. So maybe we can expect camera manufacturers other than Sony and Nikon coming with their cameras using that size sensors in late 2013 or early 2014, hardly before that.

However, I think that if an APS-C sensor is used, then a benchmark for size would be Leica X1 & X2. If Ricoh can make it better than Leica, they have a sure winner. Actually, if they make it less clunky, faster in operation and slightly less expensive than Fuji X100(s), and integrate better LCD than Leica (which isn't hard task at all!), they can have the best APS-C compact in the market.
Wouldn't Nikon's exclusivity have run out about three months ago? The 1 V1 came out in October 2011 if I'm not mistaken.
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They already do. The GXR 28mm.

So it doesn't make sense in terms of both those cameras you mention being a benchmark that Ricoh can match for size, because they are both actually bigger than the GXR.

The Ricoh GRD on the other is a compact camera even smaller than the GXR. Which means the Leica X1/2 and the Fuji X100 aren't even in the hunt when it comes to competing in camera size.

So nor does it make sense if people think the GRD ought to have the same size sensor as its larger GXR 28mm cousin, because then it wouldn't be a GRD any more - it would be the GXR 28mm. Which they've already got. Why would they make two same cameras? So this is a non-story.

My wager is the GRD will have a 1" sensor. An APSC sensor simply won't fit in a GRD - otherwise Sony would have put one in their RX100 which is similar size, which means that camera has shown a 1" will actually fit in a GRD.
01-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
ogl
Banned

Ricoh has two new patents for lenses - 27/1.9 and 23/2.5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ricoh-gxr/132301-ricoh-gxr-club-24.html#post2236888
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
They already do. The GXR 28mm.

So it doesn't make sense in terms of both those cameras you mention being a benchmark that Ricoh can match for size, because they are both actually bigger than the GXR.

The Ricoh GRD on the other is a compact camera even smaller than the GXR. Which means the Leica X1/2 and the Fuji X100 aren't even in the hunt when it comes to competing in camera size.

So nor does it make sense if people think the GRD ought to have the same size sensor as its larger GXR 28mm cousin, because then it wouldn't be a GRD any more - it would be the GXR 28mm. Which they've already got. Why would they make two same cameras? So this is a non-story.

My wager is the GRD will have a 1" sensor. An APSC sensor simply won't fit in a GRD - otherwise Sony would have put one in their RX100 which is similar size, which means that camera has shown a 1" will actually fit in a GRD.
1" is nor fish, neither meat. Who will sell 1" sensor to Ricoh? Aptina 1" sensor from Nikon 1 is not very good IMO, Sony doesn't sell 1" sensor to other companies.

APS-C = HIGH QUALITY

As for GXR A28 - it's not the ONE WHOLE camera. It's camera + lensor.

GRDV could be WR, for example. Or It will have another lens. Maybe 23/2.5. And it will be NEW camera with NEW processor and electronic inside. New sensor.

Last edited by ogl; 01-21-2013 at 10:54 PM.
01-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Deducing from an APSC sensor can't fit in a GRD, these two lenses can only possibly be for either new GXR modules or a possible new GXR-derived MILC.

In which case because they're both primes, and especially the 43mme F1.9 is a fast prime, they aren't the sort of lenses to launch with a MILC system, which leaves the best bet to likely be GXR camera modules.

If they announce a GXR II Body Unit alongside that fast 43mm prime Camera Unit, that would qualify as the sort of camera they claim will appeal to Ricoh users. Certainly be on my own shopping list.
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
ogl
Banned

Let's wait and we will see...