Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great! Exactly what I was looking for. Three cheap looking, colorful point and shoots, to take pics of whatever.

01-28-2013, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never quite understood why people care so much about how a camera looks. I guess I'm not a fan of anything that attracts too much attention but beyond that I want function not fashion.
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've never quite understood why people care so much about how a camera looks. I guess I'm not a fan of anything that attracts too much attention but beyond that I want function not fashion.

Vanity, I'm afraid.

That, and the novice and poser crowds who want to impress random strangers.. ??
01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
rugged GPS equipped camera like this with a two way radio for hikers and such out in the wilderness with sketchy cell phone service and all.
Interesting idea but walkie talkies are no substitute for cell phone. Range is limited to line of sight or 2-3 miles whichever is less. So OK for a party of hikers within sight of each other or wandering around camp. Useless for anything else, especially contacting the outside world if you get in trouble. HAM radio has the potential to be useful in that situation but the antenna can be meters long and the radios take a lot of power, far more than a camera battery has available.

Garmin and others already make a GMRS/FRS radio with GPS and a camera built in. Cabela's: Garmin® Rino 655T GPS Radio

01-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Three cheap looking, colorful point and shoots, to take pics of whatever.
I don't think passionate climbers looking for awesome scenery will reserve so much space in their already-bulky bags for a DSLR and a couple of lenses when they can use that space for extra supplies such as water, food or clothing.

Also, after the Nikonos - there's not yet any DSLR specifically made for scuba diving. but correct me if I'm wrong.
01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Interesting idea but walkie talkies are no substitute for cell phone. Range is limited to line of sight or 2-3 miles whichever is less. So OK for a party of hikers within sight of each other or wandering around camp. Useless for anything else, especially contacting the outside world if you get in trouble. HAM radio has the potential to be useful in that situation but the antenna can be meters long and the radios take a lot of power, far more than a camera battery has available.

Garmin and others already make a GMRS/FRS radio with GPS and a camera built in. Cabela's: Garmin® Rino 655T GPS Radio
True but around here at least that 2-3 Mile (or 6 mile for the radios I have) range might be pretty handy when you are in one of the many areas that has no cell service. But I'm not convinced it needs to be part of my camera. I like them for setting up ski shot where I'm either across a valley or farther down the slope trying to get my model to go where I have set the shot up in my mind.
01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Since all cell phones already come with cameras, Pentax must have realized that there is an untapped market, to put cameras into walkie-talkies.
LOL! That's hillarious!
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I don't think passionate climbers looking for awesome scenery will reserve so much space in their already-bulky bags for a DSLR and a couple of lenses when they can use that space for extra supplies such as water, food or clothing.
Long distance Trekkers (Alpine hikers, Appalachian Trail through hikers and the like) care much more about weight than bulk. They consider 1 ounce worthy of thought. Time was, 65 pounds was my limit, including what I was wearing.

Food is dehydrated and water is filtered from nature - it weighs 8 POUNDS per gallon. 1 Lexan spoon. 1 Lexan cup. 2 Nalgene bottles,.A group of eight would have four small tents, 1 compass per pair. 1 tiny Whisperlite stove, 4 8 oz. gas bottles. Long pants and rain pants are the same pants. And ONE camera for the entire Crew. I prefer a small mechanical film camera such as an XA - batteries are heavier than film.

The WG Series is wonderful for day hikers and for weekend overnighters (2-night-hikers) but practicality argues against anything longer than another day or two after that.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2013 at 01:23 PM.
01-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have a titanium spork!

But I still lug my dSLR along backpacking. I try to keep everything else light to compensate!
01-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I like them for setting up ski shot where I'm either across a valley or farther down the slope trying to get my model to go where I have set the shot up in my mind.
Agreed, my point was they are useful for local communication within the group as you are using them, but not to call for help. Not only is the range too limited but the chance of anyone monitoring legal FRS/GMRS channels is remote. Although at a ski lodge / area that might be a possibility if they have a monitoring station. Where I hike, nearest road is often 10 miles so not worth the weight. Cell phones oddly, often do work if you can get high enough on a ridge. My 5 watt HAM radio will get out as there is a repeater on Mt. Hood I can hit but generally not worth the weight penalty to pack it.
01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #26

Original Poster
Qi (inductive power standard)!!!

I found the icon about which technology standard!

for more details -> Qi (inductive power standard) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and an universal charger example -> Energizer® Single Inductive Charger | Energizer
01-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #27

Original Poster
Inductive charging

Inductive charging

I'm wondering the charging unit now!?
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogunturkay Quote
I found the icon about which technology standard!
Well, that's better than the IRsimple sharing technology. No need to have a removable battery, even though it shares the same watertight port as the SD card.

Oh! Do you think they're getting rid of the removable SD card as well? Camera only transfers photos via bluetooth or wi-fi?

They can seriously seal that puppy up in that case (though lack of SD expandability would be a big challenge in marketing)!
01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
No need to have a removable battery, even though it shares the same watertight port as the SD card.

Oh! Do you think they're getting rid of the removable SD card as well?
Considering how prone to breakage the door was on the wg-1 (don't know if this was fixed on the wg-2), I'd gladly make the tradeoff, especially if it allowed for an even deeper underwater capability than 45'.
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It looks like this may be the first rugged Pentax compact that has sensor shift image stabilization. One of the reasons I sold my old Optio W60 was its lack of image stabilization. It's not obvious, but it's sometimes very important in a waterproof camera. If there are waves that make it harder to keep your camera still, some image stabilization can come in real handy.