Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #46

Please ask them where Pentax see EVF and what that means for there future products.

01-30-2013, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #47

Photos: Gallery
Just a thought: Olympus and Fuji have had some recent success with so-called "retro" product designs that evoke the days of classic film photography - Olympus taking the self-referential route with the OM-D, and Fuji referencing classic rangefinder design in more general terms.

That's style, rather than substance. On the other hand, Pentax has arguably been more concerned with maintaining substantive ties to its heritage (thinking here of things like ongoing compatibility with M42 lenses…even M37 lenses), rather than stylistic ones.

In light of the recent Olympus and Fuji offerings (to say nothing of neo-retro design successes in other industries), I would be interested to know whether Pentax has considered incorporating more legacy design/styling elements into forthcoming products. There's a rich brand heritage there, and I could readily see a "retro" Pentax camera garnering some press attention and consumer interest. That extends even to things like naming conventions - I can imagine (but wouldn't necessarily advocate for) a "Spotmatic-D" or an "LX-D," or even a revival of the Takumar name for certain applications. Pentax's long-standing commitment to backwards compatibility would certainly give added legitimacy to any such initiative.

One way to help establish a distinct position for a brand (by no means the only way) is to strengthen linkages to the brand's history. There are modest signs that Pentax is open to that notion, but I'd like to know whether the brand might be entertaining such a strategy in a more fundamental or broad-based way.
01-30-2013, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tomanytakumars Quote
Please ask them where Pentax see EVF and what that means for there future products.
A more open ended question might be on the de-mechanization of cameras with electronic sensors and storage already replacing film, EVFs challenging OVFs, electronic shutters, and even the possibility of electronic apertures using LCDs. How does pentax approach this phenomenon/trend and how actively are you pursuing it or leading the way?
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would like to know the sensor plans of Ricoh/Pentax, in view of the 645D of course, but also in view of a Foveon or Foveon-type sensor (Sony is working on similar technology).
Given Pentax' skill to get the most out of existing sensors, I really like to see what a Foveon(-like) would do in a Pentax or Ricoh.

01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Please ask about more than just "bounce flash". That's really the least of our concerns with the current flash system.
01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #51
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens cap for the Q is fantastic! Can Pentax make round stickers for it, in different designs to better match 100 colour combos of the Pentax Q10? I'd personally love a sticker with the eye of Sauron for the lens cap!
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Lens cap for the Q is fantastic! Can Pentax make round stickers for it, in different designs to better match 100 colour combos of the Pentax Q10? I'd personally love a sticker with the eye of Sauron for the lens cap!
Actually sounds cool!
01-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What about making smaller AF points? Like the size of the indicators? That's what is causing a lot of "missed AF" issues for users IMHO....

01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Perhaps this is better suited to the US interview, but ....

"Consumer behavior in the USA differs from the rest of the world (online price-shopping, buy, try, return, brand image, etc.), which affects product development decisions, marketing planning and money allocation, distribution strategies - really, the entire business model. How does your long term vision for Pentax Ricoh Imaging integrate the unique USA consumer culture into the global product, pricing and marketing plan? How much does the USA consumer matter relative to consumers of the rest of the world?"
Why no one is mentioning Leica?
They are small, very small. Smaller than Pentax and way smaller than Ricoh.
Yet, an FF M9 introduced in 2009 has saved the company, made it profitable. They still can't make enough cameras and lenses to meet the demand.
Since then, Leica has made a premium APS-C mirrorless cameras (two iterations), several iterations of the M9, including Monochrome, M9-P and for 2013 there M TYpe240 and an M-E.
They source sensors as they can - Leica doesn't have enough buying power to resource Sony's FF sensors, for example, but still they want to be in the game, they innovate, and they re not afraid to raise come chatter, to show what's coming months ahead to keep people buzzing: M-E and M-240 showed at Fotokina in September 2012 are just about to be shipped.
01-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #55
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
... I have room for about 2-3 more questions in the interview.
Adam, when you're planning an interview?
Did you have a chance to talk to Pentax Ricoh representatives?
01-31-2013, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Adam, when you're planning an interview?
Did you have a chance to talk to Pentax Ricoh representatives?
The interview will take place on February 3rd. My journalist did get a chance to talk to them today (1/31 in Japan), unfortunately there isn't much to report on at this time. We will be throwing up a couple of videos tomorrow. If all goes well we'll be able to go hands-on with the MX-1 and the WG-3, though he said that he didn't see the MX-1 at all at the show...

Also, for those of you who were afraid that the FA ltds were going away, they're back on display. So I guess that crosses off one interview question:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

What are the million-color lenses? Those the new Q lenses? They look too big.
01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #58
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What are the million-color lenses? Those the new Q lenses? They look too big.
35mm F2.4's

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #59
Veteran Member

And here I thought it'd be the K-5 II that they were going to announce in a zillion colors.
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The interview will take place on February 3rd. My journalist did get a chance to talk to them today (1/31 in Japan), unfortunately there isn't much to report on at this time. We will be throwing up a couple of videos tomorrow. If all goes well we'll be able to go hands-on with the MX-1 and the WG-3, though he said that he didn't see the MX-1 at all at the show...

Also, for those of you who were afraid that the FA ltds were going away, they're back on display. So I guess that crosses off one interview question:
Yeah, and I think what I don't see in that shot might answer another question (I see three K-30s and a K-5xx, but no BricK-01).