Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CP+ Interview Question Suggestion Follow-Up

This thread is a follow-up to this one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/212069-pentaxforums-cp...ggestions.html

I can confirm that we will be asking many of the questions you guys suggested, including:
  • Full frame, etc.
  • Bounce flash issue
  • Fate of the K-01
  • FA limited discontinuation
I would like to personally thank everyone who suggested a question!

FYI one question that someone suggested was already answered at photokina:
Q: will you add more AF points?
A: yes, we plan on doing so in a future DSLR

At the moment the interview is (too) heavily saturated with questions about future products, however, and unless Pentax comes out with more exciting things at the show, the only way we can change that is by adding a couple more open-ended questions.

Therefore, do you guys have any suggestions for open-ended questions? I have room for about 2-3 more questions in the interview.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is PRI's vision for (choose your poison)?
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
... yes to the above, Maybe something about whether they have plans for more unified branding, websites, products and service/repairs internationally? In many countries, Pentax as such doesn't exist, they're sold through a distributor. (That often bundles the cameras with third party lenses, for example.)

For a start, it would be nice if all the disparate Pentax websites, eg PENTAX RICOH IMAGING ; Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR, etc... were unified to a single international website.
It would also be great if all the products that are on Pentax Online Shop - ??????????????? were available worldwide. It would be great to be able to shop directly from Pentax's website for accessories.
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What is PRI's vision for (choose your poison)?
That's what I want to know. There are lenses that I want to buy, but I'm actually scared to commit any more money to Pentax before I know that it's a sound investment.

Pentax, I want to believe!

01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was very presently pleased (and surprised) with the recent firmware update for the Q - that included a new Focus Peaking capability. Actually, that lead me to buy the Q, since that was something I was a bit disappointed with on the original firmware not offering that capability. I was particularly interested in the Q for the magnesium alloy body.

That was VERY much appreciated!! -- Thank You Very Much!!

Would you consider possibly sliding in any additional supporting features in say the K5 in the future?
01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Banned

External EVFs — are they not implemented as an option in any mirrorless camera released in the last 12+ months (K-01, MX-1, Q, Q10) because they think EVF
- is not an option people are interested in?
- it will drain batteries more quickly?
- they are still developing a technology for it?
- they are still deciding which third-party technology to use / license?
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a "strobist" movement in Japan? [You may have to explain to them about David Hobby, and the Strobist blog if they are unfamiliar with the term] Has Pentax considered updating their flash system to appeal more to those who practice "strobist" style lighting of small off-camera flashes (i.e. flash "group" controls, higher sync speed or alternative sync methods such as leaf shutter lenses, separate ambient and flash EV compensation)?

[You have my permission, nay, my blessing to paraphrase that into something less clumsy]

01-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
MSM
Veteran Member

One more vote for PRIC vision. At the time of the merger Ricoh implied they wanted to be a competitor of the big 2 or 3. I want to know how far they feel they have come. Also if they feel they have come to the point where a definitive stratagy has been outlined for achieving the goal.
01-29-2013, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

How about asking not about particular products, but how they are going to address market segments. Are they going to set up a Pro system with the service offerings necessary? What can wedding/portrait photographers look forward to? How about landscape? What about sports and action photographers? What about wildlife and birding?

On the last point, tell them that they have a customer who has his credit card ready for the tc. And will buy the updated apc-c that has the next iteration of AF improvements and no hourglass needed or bogging down on metering and AF due to faster processing. And probably would fork out for a 400 f4 if it was as sharp and nice to handle as the DA*300.

Oh, and if they could fit a FF in the K-5 form factor they couldn't make enough of them.
01-29-2013, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

Can Pentax users hope to see the same level of product support long afforded to Ricoh products such as the GRD firmware updates on older models?
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

Lastly and the most important question on everyone's mind: Did Ricoh hire Jun Hirakawa back?
01-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How about if they plan on lowering the prices on their lenses. They have to be losing money on their lenses right now. The only thing that keeps me considering (not actually buying) Pentax lenses is the weather sealing on some of them. I'd rather give Pentax my money, but those third party lenses are so much cheaper as are plastic bags.
01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

How does Pentax see itself (now and near future) as a camera/lens manufacturer against competitors with larger market share (ie. Canikony)?
What is Pentax's value proposition wrt competitors?
Does Pentax see itself as having fulfilled their position/value proposition?
01-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

What is the DSLR roadmap for 2013 and 2014?
01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What are the advantages of the (presumed) Pentax 12-28mm F/4 over the Tokina version?