Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #31

It seems to be real and confirmed by different users. I do have the feeling I have a new camera. Seems quite undeniable to me...

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I agree. The AF is my only serious complaint of the K5, everything else is just perfect

02-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greg57 Quote
It seems to be real and confirmed by different users. I do have the feeling I have a new camera. Seems quite undeniable to me...
Someone should ask about those AF triks at CP+
Thank you for the news though, I'll do it ASAP.
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Are you serious? I just upgraded to the new firmware but have not yet had the time to test my lenses. Sounds like great news! I hope it isn't just a placebo effect.
You have to make sure you play around in Putting the Lens to out of focus and then hit the trigger to put it backf to focus you'll see the change In speed.
02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, K-01 w/ DA40 Ltd., DA55~300, FA50/1.4 and FA35/2 is much faster now. It also knows which direction to move in rather than cycling out to the stop and back in. I didn't pre- and post-test because I wasn't expecting this much change - but this isn't placebo effect, for sure - Impressive improvement.

02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery
AF in LV gone

I updated my k5 as I was curious if there were any benefits aside from the improved 560mm (which I don't own) AF that were mentioned above (less mirror movement in LV, for example). Now I can't tell if the AF got any faster. The only AF lens that I've got so far is the kit 18-55 mm; I mainly use manual M lenses. Since a quicker AF is always nicer anyway and there didn't seem to be any downside in updating, I decided to just install it. I also thought of it as an opportunity to make myself familiar with the proccess of updating itself.

To make a long story short, now my camera won't autofocus in LV at all, anymore. Neither in single, nor in continous mode, no matter if 5 or 11 auto-points, selective AF or center AF. Switched the camera on and off, took the lens on and off, SD-card in and out, battery as well. Not that I personally really care for AF in LV, but I feel a little betrayed. Looks like I'll have to redo the update and hope for the best...

Anyone else with that experience?
02-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, K-01 w/ DA40 Ltd., DA55~300, FA50/1.4 and FA35/2 is much faster now. It also knows which direction to move in rather than cycling out to the stop and back in. I didn't pre- and post-test because I wasn't expecting this much change - but this isn't placebo effect, for sure - Impressive improvement.
Yes, just like I posted you can tell the difference in speed especially if you are watching the DOF scale on your lens (if equipped). Any twiks they did on the firmware upgrade doesn't mean its just exclusive to HD 560mm this is meant more for the camera bodies software to compensate for issues on using the HD 560mm. Lens. If the past firmware of the bodies didn't function well (stability, cdaf, etc.) then all Pentax made is to tune it up better. Remember the HD 560 mm. have a arpeture of f5.6, this is not a fast zoom lens, with this type of lens you want a more stabilize and more lower (sensitive) EV's on your AF, an extra numbers on the firmware would make a big difference after all a lot of guys have tethered their cameras already including me. Pentax could have realize a lot of issues on their new lens that's why the have a sudden release of the firmware before the lens went out to market. If this is true then Pentax made a good job in keeping customers happy and their quality up to standards. Thanks again Pentax.
Please remember my observation is based on my K-5 an on DA and DA* lenses.
02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I did not test my K-5 update from 1.12 to 1.14, but K-01 and 40Ltd improved nicely on my simple test. AF-s for text on a poorly-lit cardboard box took three racks before fine tuning with v1.01 and three attempts out of four Failed i.e. on LCD text was not in focus. With v1.02 AF racked twice before fine tuning, and 100% focus lock on four tries.
That's enough hard science for tonight I'm sleepy

02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I just updated my K-01 and K-5. I don't notice any improvement in focus performance. And I checked them in a dim room right before the updates so I'd have something in recent memory to compare with. So nothing drastic for me.
02-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #39

For my K-30 , there is no choice to go to v1.02 because v1.01 can not face focus in live view about 5%. ( v1.00 only 1% )
02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #40
Veteran Member

After hearing anecdotes of improved AF with V1.14, I caved in today and decided to update one of my K-5s to 1.14. The other I kept at V1.03

I've tested all my lenses extensively and I can report absolutely no difference whatsoever. Focusing speed was exactly the same on both cams.

There was also no change in any AF adjustments needed. The AF settings for V1.14 were exactly the same as for V1.03

I also rechecked my other K-5 AF settings on v1.03 and that didn't need any further adjustment either. The AF tweaks I applied nearly two years ago still applied. I wouldn't have been surprised at a bit of drift.
02-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Are you serious? I just upgraded to the new firmware but have not yet had the time to test my lenses. Sounds like great news! I hope it isn't just a placebo effect.
No change here Benji

As said above I deliberately only updated one of my K-5s so could compare the difference. No difference whatsoever.
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Is it possible that there is more or less improvement, depending on which camera is being updated? It seemed that the AF speed for my DA*50-135 was noticeably improved on my K5II, after the firmware upgrade.
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Is it possible that there is more or less improvement, depending on which camera is being updated? It seemed that the AF speed for my DA*50-135 was noticeably improved on my K5II, after the firmware upgrade.
Upgraded mine. I have the same lens, but for some reason as I tried it out in low-light yesterday, the AF seemed slower. It "crept" along the last few steps to getting the focus locked, unlike before, where it hard-stopped. That's around a split-second slower... and in some cases, that's a big difference
02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Hm, that sounds about the way my DA*300 acts! (Although with that one I suspect it might be an SDM problem... ) Off topic from the firmware upgrade, I'm amazed by the AF accuracy on my new K5II- unlike with the old K20D, every one of my lenses seems to be right on so far, no in-camera AF adjustment needed. Very nice!
02-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
Inactive Account

I cant comment on the speed, but my DA* 16-50 feels way more accurate in dimmed light.