Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a new firmware version which fixes the DA 560mm's live view AF performance on the K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-30, K-01, K-r:

New K-r, K-01, K-30, K-5, and K-5 II/IIs Firmware - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
it would be nice to see if anyone on the forum has the 560mm

01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Going to ask them that at our CP+ interview. Pretty sure this firmware does nothing more than fix the CDAF performance for the 560mm though
At least the K-5 download also says "Improved stability for general performance"
01-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Do you all recalibrate lenses after a firmware upgrade?
No. Everything is the same.

The focus peaking could be added by firmware. It's fact. Why can't Pentax do it in K-5II?

PRIME II or PRIME M (In-camera processor) don't effect on focus peaking mode. It's software fucntion, not hardware.
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
PRIME II or PRIME M (In-camera processor) don't effect on focus peaking mode. It's software fucntion, not hardware.
Yes, it's a software function that's enabled by having sufficient processing capacity in hardware.

If the hardware is not up to the task, then implementing it in software anyway will have adverse effects on other camera operations.

01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

OK, so just about to upgrade my K5, when I checked the readme it states below text (in bold). Now checking my k5 the current level firmware I have is 1.01.

So I'm a little confused. Can I go ahead and install this update?

Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
Updatable models
K-5 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11/
1.12/1.13.
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Think I may have answered my own question. I cant see v1.00 on Pentax website so assume the Readme should have said 1.01 anyway.

Anyone agree?
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The new firmware will completely replace the old one, so go for it. Be sure to have a fully loaded battery, and follow precisely the instructions.

01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
Think I may have answered my own question. I cant see v1.00 on Pentax website so assume the Readme should have said 1.01 anyway.

Anyone agree?
Yup you'll be fine, go ahead and upgrade.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The new firmware will completely replace the old one, so go for it. Be sure to have a fully loaded battery, and follow precisely the instructions.
... except the part precisely about version numbers.
01-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Is it worth it to upgrade the the K-5 IIs to 1.02 now? hmm. Thinking of making a video of most functions first before doing so... or just wait for more reports Hope it fixes the popup flash-hangs-the-cam bug.

QuoteOriginally posted by sarabico Quote
manual video control on the k-5?? i guess we'll never see it... K01 does it, itīs so hard to put it on the k5. Time to abandon ship...
K-5 was designed primarily with the stills photographer in mind, from what it seems. Also, with the mirror mechanism holding back extended video recording as well as other hardware limitations, it can never do video as good as the K-01 (if being videographer is what you mean).

Otherwise, the K-5's video is fine enough for most users.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fandanguero Quote
DSLR cameras as video shooting platform become more and more important.
Which is prolly why Canon's improving the video side so very much. 1D-C, anyone? I'd rather the K-01 (even though it's controls are limited still, but hey, it's the cheapest option to record past 30 minutes without the temperature warning threatening you every now and then)
02-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Here's a new firmware version which fixes the DA 560mm's live view AF performance on the K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-30, K-01, K-r:

New K-r, K-01, K-30, K-5, and K-5 II/IIs Firmware - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Downloaded new firmware ver. 1.14 on my Pentax K-5, I did some testing on my 16-50mm f2.8 DA* and 50-135mm f2.8 DA* before and atfter downloading new firmware. There is a big difference in speed of autofocus on this lens and also with other Prime Lens. On DA* lenses the SDM's really focus faster than usual, seems like twice the speed now and you can hear the motor move more audibly. I've did some tethering on my AF adjustment last time and now with a faster AF speed the sharpness is really bang on.

The testing I did is low light night time lampshade lit living room setup, I don't know really how the upgrade affects the kit lenses or other slow lenses but definitely it made a change for fast lenses especially those with SDMs. I hope others will test their fast lenses in this new upgrade and put input in this progress with Pentax. I probably not bother buying a K5-IIs anymore, Thanks Pentax
02-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check you ISO NR Configuration. It change. There area now a deeper iso range when choosing when NR will kick in.
02-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dickymastelero Quote
Downloaded new firmware ver. 1.14 on my Pentax K-5, I did some testing on my 16-50mm f2.8 DA* and 50-135mm f2.8 DA* before and atfter downloading new firmware. There is a big difference in speed of autofocus on this lens and also with other Prime Lens. On DA* lenses the SDM's really focus faster than usual, seems like twice the speed now and you can hear the motor move more audibly. I've did some tethering on my AF adjustment last time and now with a faster AF speed the sharpness is really bang on.

The testing I did is low light night time lampshade lit living room setup, I don't know really how the upgrade affects the kit lenses or other slow lenses but definitely it made a change for fast lenses especially those with SDMs. I hope others will test their fast lenses in this new upgrade and put input in this progress with Pentax. I probably not bother buying a K5-IIs anymore, Thanks Pentax
Are you serious? I just upgraded to the new firmware but have not yet had the time to test my lenses. Sounds like great news! I hope it isn't just a placebo effect.

Last edited by benjikan; 02-02-2013 at 06:52 AM.
02-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I hope it isn't just a placebo effect.
I agree. The AF is my only serious complaint of the K5, everything else is just perfect
02-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I agree. The AF is my only serious complaint of the K5, everything else is just perfect
because I have no money to better : O , use the K30 and I have no problems with AF : Cool: , so far I have had and used the Km, Kx, Kr (borrowed for use K5) : Hmm:

Last edited by mbukal; 02-02-2013 at 10:07 AM.