Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 07:02 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Brief report from CP+

I went to CP+ today, so I thought I've share some observations about what I saw. The show as a whole was very busy on the Saturday. Encouragingly, I saw a very healthy amount of Pentaxes around the necks of visitors to the show.

It was clear that the camera companies didn't see CP+ as a very advantageous time to release high-end cameras. All manufacturers had a wide range of products to show, but there were no big announcements. I knew that before I went, so I wasn't surprised.

The Pentax/Ricoh stand was busy and had as much interesting stuff as any other, in my opinion. They had a stage with some on-stage talks and interviews. If anything, their stand was a bit small for the amount of stuff they had to show. My main criticism of the Pentax stand was that it didn't have as many photographs on display as some of the others. In contrast, Fujifilm had some lovely big prints that really helped to sell their cameras. I had the chance to speak to Hiraku Kawauchi for a few minutes, who Pentax Forums interviewed last year. He is a very nice guy and gave me some good advice about which lenses to buy (I mainly talked to him about the DA40 vs. FA43 Ltd.).

Roadmaps
The roadmaps for Q, K and 645 have not been revised since the last time. According to Kawauchi-san, there may be things released that are not shown on the roadmap. He used almost exactly the same wording to me as he did in the interview last year.

In and out of production
The K-01 is out of production and they are only selling the old stock. It was not shown in the catalogues or at the booth at all. Other cameras that were absent from their booth and catalogue were the Ricoh CX6 and Ricoh PX, although the CX6 is still widely available in Japan. The FA Limiteds were present on the roadmap and shown in the catalogue and at the booth. I think it is safe to say they are not discontinued. The FA35 and FA50 are still in the catalogue too.

The MX-1
It was quite nice to use but it's really big, like an Olympus Pen with a flatter lens. I personally don't like that styling very much. They had an "aged" one, which looked a bit odd to me because the lens and screen parts are plastic and won't age in the same way. So, not for me, but it looks like a capable camera.

The 360 camera
The design has been changed a lot since they showed it at Photokina. It looks much more practical now that it has a handle. The rep said it was intended for the consumer market. The idea is that you'd be able to capture the whole atmosphere of a place or a party. When I asked, he said it didn't do video, but that it was something they were working on. They had an image of Time Square that could be viewed on an iPod touch and panned by swiping.

My picture
I was quite happy because they showed a picture that I entered into their competition last month. This picture was shown with about 20 others submitted by Ricoh and Pentax users in Japan. I took it in Italy in December with a K-01 and the FA100-300.

02-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the photo and thanks for the report!

Sent using Tapatalk 2
02-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
and gave me some good advice about which lenses to buy (I mainly talked to him about the DA40 vs. FA43 Ltd.).
What whas the very good advice??
02-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
What whas the very good advice??
Just that the FA43 is often preferred for it's rendering of skin tones and the DA40 can be sharper and more suited to subjects like architecture. I think this is more or less consistent the reviews here. I'm leaning towards the FA43, but also kicking myself for not getting the DA40 XS with the K-01.

02-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the report. So the K-01 is now a limited collector's item. Buy one and keep it mint-in-box unused!

And Ricoh are out of the consumer compact business. I recall talk a while ago about the Ricoh brand becoming more enthusiast/niche (upmarket?) cameras from now on, but at the same time there was other opposite talk of Ricoh being compacts while Pentax would be ILCs - so at least that's settled now.
02-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing your impressions!
I am in Tokyo for 2 days and thought about visiting CP+ ... but then I choose to go out and shoot in this wonderful city instead. I also bought a Sigma 1.4/30, the Euro/Yen exchange rate makes it hard to resist LBA!
02-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
So the K-01 is now a limited collector's item. Buy one and keep it mint-in-box unused!
Funny.
02-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for the report!

02-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the report.
02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like above, thanks for your report ... J
02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Thanks very much for sharing your report. Any news on the updated 360 flash?
02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Thanks for the report. So the K-01 is now a limited collector's item. Buy one and keep it mint-in-box unused
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely the Pentax K-01 will ever be much of a collectors item in anyones lifetime here. Even at the current lowest cost of purchasing it, it's also not likely to gain much in value - if ever.

But on the issue ot keeping one - mint in box unused... Not a good idea. It is to my understanding that the K-01 does in fact have a type of internal battery along with the removeable one. To leave either in the box untouched would cause a fair amount of damage within a short number of years. One would have to figure out a way of somewhat disconnecting and even removing the internal battery. Plus there would have to be a way of keeping the camera somewhat temperature controlled and also humidity controlled. Sure any lens that comes with the camera aren't exactly highly valuable as well - but most here have heard what happens to a lens (lens fungus and many other issues) when not stored properly. The same can also be said for numerous items with just the camera body.

Btw companies such as Hasselblad, Mamiya, and Leica have in the past offered to ship items such as these without batteries of any kind - and also provided very specific instructions on how to store them.
02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Many thanks for the review of CP+. Also congratulations on the photo. It is an great photo.

At PMA@CES this year a person I know was there and got the impression that Ricoh branded cameras are going away and it will jsut be Pentax. Then again te pserson could have it wrong or it could just be an USA thing.
02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments about the picture! I'm pretty sure Ricoh cameras are going to continue in their niche. I suppose they might drop the more consumer oriented models, but based on CP+, they are not going away completely. I'm afraid I didn't look at the flash unit, because I'm not interested in them personally and I wouldn't know what to ask about anyway. Sorry.

I thought it might be interesting to rate the amount of prominence Pentax gave to each model. So, here goes . . .

High
Pentax Q10 - They had a lot of displays, the Evangelion model and a counter devoted to it, showing the mount cap lens.
Ricoh GR Digital - They had a display revealing that a new model is coming, a counter at the front and a lot of exhibited pictures, including a huge one on the outside of the booth.

Medium
Pentax WG series - The had displays and models to try out.
K mount cameras - They had a counter, a lot of pictures, a dark room to test the AF and a display of all the lenses they make.

Low
GXR - They had a counter, but that was it. Unlike the GRD, there was no teasing of a future release. When asked, the staff were saying "no comment about future products".
MX-1 - They had a few on display, but I was expecting more. Perhaps they're aiming this more at international markets.
645 - They had a counter.
X-5 - They had the products on display.

Non-existant
K-01 - Not shown anywhere, just my picture and one other were shown in the gallery. It is no longer in production. The XS lens was not displayed with the other K-mount stuff.
Ricoh CX series
Ricoh PX
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank U for your report!