Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Please measure the closest focus distance. This can influence the choice of which lens to purchase if one of them is able to focus significantly closer than the other.
Better, measure reproduction ratio at closest distance. If the focal shorten less, I am happy even with a longer closest focus distance.

02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

It seems relatively straightforward to do both IMO.
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Hi All,

For those interested, the 560mm is listed as being in stock at BH!

Love to hear from those that are getting one as to what their thoughts are on this lens.

Pentax DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW Lens 22180 B&H Photo Video
I'll have two, please (in case I drop one).
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
I'll have two, please (in case I drop one).
SquareTrade to the rescue
2 Year Drops & Spills ? $709.99 3 Year Drops & Spills ? $924.99

02-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
The Sigma 500mm is sharper than the Pentax 250-600, based on the copies I own (the Sigma) and owned (the 250-600). But in any case the 250-600 is rare as hens teeth so its performance relative to the new Pentax lens isn't actionable. The Sigma 500 to Pentax 560 is the comparison I want to see. They are similar weights and I expect the Pentax price will drop to the $5k level of the Sigma after a while. So the questions are resolution and useability. I expect the minimum focus distance of the Sigma is going to be much better than the Pentax just based on the design parameters, which will argue for the Sigma if you want birds at a feeder, for example. And the Sigma is shorter than the Pentax, which may affect the ability to carry the lens. But this is one of those things you have to experience to judge. So carryability is a big issue I would like the review to address. And then resolution and focus speed are the elephants in the room. I'll pay more and put up with more hassle in ease of use for better image quality and better focus speed. I hope the review will provide a comparison on these dimensions for the only two super telephoto lenses presently produced for the K mount.
My sentiments exactly. Will I buy the Sigma 500 or the Pentax 560? Another issue is the mystical FF Pentax plans to introduce. I could not buy the 560 until the next generation of pentax cameras are introduced. I would really like to see the Sigma 300-800 5.6 in a Pentax mount. From what I have read that is a very good lens. If available I would buy the 300-800 over either the Sigma 500 or the Pentax 560
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Another issue is the mystical FF Pentax plans to introduce. I could not buy the 560 until the next generation of pentax cameras are introduced.
I guess it doesn't make it easier for Pentax to sell the 560mm when they leave their exclusive APSC orientation. However, with a FF camera in crop mode, you would still have the best of this lens, similar to an APSC camera. If Pentax release a 36mp FF camera, you could still end up with at least 20 high quality mp's. And less need for coupling a teleconverter. I think Pentax should offer multiple crop modes on their FF camera, and implement them well. Alternatively, you could crop yourself. Canon is still at 22mp, so with the high quality 36mp Sony sensor, I still see use for the 560mm. 36mp Full frame in crop mode will probably beat lens + TC for IQ.
Not that I would buy one myself though, I settled for a used Sigma 500/4.5. But if the 560mm is a really good lens, I might watch out for a used copy in the (far) future.

Chris
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll see what can be done with the Sigma 500mm comparison. It's hard to get loaners this expensive but B&H has been very generous lately, so I'm confident that it will be approved by their management.
Adam,

It would be great if you could get the Sigma for comparison.

If you're able to do a side-by-side, it would be very valuable to potential buyers if you could test both lenses with a 1.4 TC. I don't know if the Sigma TC will work on the Pentax. If so that would probably be the best way to go since it has modern optics, but the Tamron 1.4 or Kenko 1.5 almost surely will work on both lenses if the Sigma TC won't. The issue is not so much IQ, since my guess is that a given TC will have a similar effect on both lenses. But since the Pentax is a 5.6 minimum aperture whereas the Sigma is 4.5 it is possible that the ability to achieve autofocus in lower light will differ quite a bit. I find that both the Sigma and the Tamron 1.4 TCs achieve autofocus well in most conditions with the Sigma 500. If I had to give up that functionality to switch to the Pentax 560 it would be probably be a deal buster. It will also likely be an important issue for buyers moving into long glass for the first time -- both the Canon and Nikon 600mm f4 lenses work well with TCs.

02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I kind of doubt it will be useable with a teleconverter if it only has sdm focus. I get the feeling Pentax had a problem getting one to work also or they would have put out the one they were supposed to way back when the 60-250mm came out. I would have thought a 500mm f4 or 400mm f4 and a nice TC would sell more. I like a 300mm f2.8 and 2x myself.
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I kind of doubt it will be useable with a teleconverter if it only has sdm focus. I get the feeling Pentax had a problem getting one to work also or they would have put out the one they were supposed to way back when the 60-250mm came out. I would have thought a 500mm f4 or 400mm f4 and a nice TC would sell more. I like a 300mm f2.8 and 2x myself.
Maybe I'm pedantic but is has no SDM, but DC focus system.
Yep, the difference may or may not have an influence on the TC+lens behaviour.
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Maybe I'm pedantic but is has no SDM, but DC focus system.
Yep, the difference may or may not have an influence on the TC+lens behaviour.
DC is just a different implementation of the SDM AF system. There's still no screwdrive, etc.

And it looks like the Sigma 500mm is going to be approved, so we should be getting it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

DC is just a different implementation of the SDM AF system. There's still no screwdrive, etc.

And it looks like the Sigma 500mm is going to be approved, so we should be getting it
That is great Adam. I look forward to the comparison of the Sigma 500 vs Pentax 560.
I bought the Sigma 150-500 "OS" version instead of the DA*300 because I was able to buy a mint used copy for $800 instead of what Pentax wanted for the DA*300 with the new pricing. With the old pricing I would have bought the DA*300. The 150-500 is very good but not at 500 so the Pentax 560 or the Sigma 500 is on my wish list. I really wish the Sigma 300-800 were available for Pentax. Perhaps Pentax.Ricoh will push Sigma and others to add the K mount to their full line of lenses.
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam. I appreciate that.
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Good news, Thank you. However, I do have the 500/4.5 already, and it is fantastic!
02-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Perhaps Pentax.Ricoh will push Sigma and others to add the K mount to their full line of lenses
They'll never do it on their full line, but wishful thinking.

Yet if the forum in general would have a wish list and also leave options to select any number of lens', based on a fair amount of lens; then we might have some numbers to pass along to companies such as Sigma.
02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Yeah, I know but the TC might have different effects depending on the type of motor? Of course this is pure speculation...

That is very good news, indeed
Closed Thread