Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #256
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
So we now have a ~$7,000.00 super telephoto available. At the current price , how many of them are they really going to sell?

Jake
I guess not many, but this lens needs a new topmodel camera to go with it.

03-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #257
Veteran Member

I wonder if the lack of response to this lens will be interpreted as a disinterest in the Pentax community towards high-end gear in general.
03-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #258
Veteran Member

So we now have a ~$7,000.00 super telephoto available. I would be more interested in either a `150 mm or 200 mm macro lens in the $1,100 - $1,400 range. At the current price , how many of them are they really going to sell?

Jake
The Sigma 180/3.5 Macro still pops up on second hand market occasionally. I snitched mine from KEH (EX+ condition) three months ago for unbelievable $599.
03-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So we now have a ~$7,000.00 super telephoto available. I would be more interested in either a `150 mm or 200 mm macro lens in the $1,100 - $1,400 range. At the current price , how many of them are they really going to sell?

Jake
400 units initially....

03-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #260
Veteran Member

First discount here :
Pentax HD PENTAX DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Super-Telephoto Lens FREE S&H 22180. Pentax DSLR Camera Lenses.
33 % off
I'm really conviced that the price of this lens will be strongly adjusted... just like some other Pentax products (Q camera...) that were released at a unrealistic price point
03-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #261
Forum Member

All well and good, but you don't need a $7,000 super telephoto as an excuse to produce a full frame camera. Price it between $2,000 - $3,500 and you are right in the area of both Canon and Nikon. They have a tremendous base of users with a substantial base of glass. How many of them are going to give all that up for the new Pentax full frame? And as for the glass, where is the 70 - 200mm f2.8 telephoto or the similar f2.8 prime lenses?

As to dealers, on the east coast, we have basically two dealers that handle the full line of Pentax cameras and both are located in NYC. There are many of us who prefer to have a "hands on" feel before buying and going to Best Buy, Target or Walmart just doesn't do it.

I live in Maryland, and there is only one full service dealer in the Baltimore area - Service Photo and they are primarily a Nikon and Canon dealer. When B&H had a special sale last spring on the K-5 with a $500 instant rebate, I made the jump. I still have my SpotMatic and while I had not done much in the last few years, it was a quick way get into digital with a really good camera. I didn't have a ton of high end legacy glass that I would have sell at a loss so it was a no brainer. My biggest problem was leaning how to use the K-5. My SpotMatic came with a 29 page user manual. The K-5 375 page! Need I say more.

Bring the full frame body to market, and more of the f2.8 primes and/or telephotos before you worry about a segment of the market that is not really going to move on from their current base. Would I upgrade? Most likely as long as they make the body as rugged as the current K-5 or K-5 II / IIS. Late last summer I had an accident a fell into the Little Gunpowder River and had an intimate meeting with a boulder. Me, strained ligaments on one arm and both hands, a banged up knee and a very bloody lip. The K-5? A scratch on the bottom of the body and lens barrel. All said and done, I doubt that either a Canon or Nikon model in the same price range as the K-5 would have survived and would most likely have to be trashed.
03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #262
Veteran Member

All well and good, but you don't need a $7,000 super telephoto as an excuse to produce a full frame camera.
In fact you could use the 560 as an excuse NOT to produce a telephoto, as the lens doesn't cover FF. Which is actually rather surprising, as there's no real difference in cost, weight, etc between FF and APS-C at that long of a focal length.

03-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
In fact you could use the 560 as an excuse NOT to produce a telephoto, as the lens doesn't cover FF. Which is actually rather surprising, as there's no real difference in cost, weight, etc between FF and APS-C at that long of a focal length.
Is that a fact? Do you have a test, something, anything to show us?
03-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Adam posted some example shots, it vignettes about -1EV on FF film. The Camera Store TV group tested theirs on the Sony FF camcorder, and it didn't really show any vignetting.

On the other hand, corner resolution was still quite sharp, so it's semi-FF in my opinion.

Also, 33% off is quite good. $5600 is a much more reasonable price.
03-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #265
Veteran Member

It was in one of the first tests from the 560mm on this site. I apologize but I spent a few minutes looking for it and didn't find it. If I recall correctly it was something like 1.3 or 1.7 EV of falloff in the corner, so that may or may not fit your expectation of acceptable vignetting.
03-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
First discount here :
Pentax HD PENTAX DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Super-Telephoto Lens FREE S&H 22180. Pentax DSLR Camera Lenses.
33 % off
I'm really conviced that the price of this lens will be strongly adjusted... just like some other Pentax products (Q camera...) that were released at a unrealistic price point
That gets it into the interesting range.
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #267
Pentaxian

I wonder if the lack of response to this lens will be interpreted as a disinterest in the Pentax community towards high-end gear in general.
Oddly over the last while it seems the Pentax people haven't shown outrageous enthusiasm for this lens either. They show it with a Q? Where are the reviews? The Kowa long lens that came out last year had a wildlife photographer showing off the lens.
03-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #268
Pentaxian

It was in one of the first tests from the 560mm on this site. I apologize but I spent a few minutes looking for it and didn't find it. If I recall correctly it was something like 1.3 or 1.7 EV of falloff in the corner, so that may or may not fit your expectation of acceptable vignetting.
Indeed, this site found a vignetting level similar with that of the Canon 600mm f/4 IS II; and they thought that means it's not a full frame lens. Now they're measuring resolution and other stuff, and I really hope they'll follow Falk's advice; otherwise... well, I don't want to think about that.
Is that all?
03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #269
Veteran Member

560 Rental Plan

All well and good, but you don't need a $7,000 super telephoto as an excuse to produce a full frame camera. Price it between $2,000 - $3,500 and you are right in the area of both Canon and Nikon. They have a tremendous base of users with a substantial base of glass. How many of them are going to give all that up for the new Pentax full frame? And as for the glass, where is the 70 - 200mm f2.8 telephoto or the similar f2.8 prime lenses?

As to dealers, on the east coast, we have basically two dealers that handle the full line of Pentax cameras and both are located in NYC. There are many of us who prefer to have a "hands on" feel before buying and going to Best Buy, Target or Walmart just doesn't do it.

I live in Maryland, and there is only one full service dealer in the Baltimore area - Service Photo and they are primarily a Nikon and Canon dealer. When B&H had a special sale last spring on the K-5 with a $500 instant rebate, I made the jump. I still have my SpotMatic and while I had not done much in the last few years, it was a quick way get into digital with a really good camera. I didn't have a ton of high end legacy glass that I would have sell at a loss so it was a no brainer. My biggest problem was leaning how to use the K-5. My SpotMatic came with a 29 page user manual. The K-5 375 page! Need I say more.

Bring the full frame body to market, and more of the f2.8 primes and/or telephotos before you worry about a segment of the market that is not really going to move on from their current base. Would I upgrade? Most likely as long as they make the body as rugged as the current K-5 or K-5 II / IIS. Late last summer I had an accident a fell into the Little Gunpowder River and had an intimate meeting with a boulder. Me, strained ligaments on one arm and both hands, a banged up knee and a very bloody lip. The K-5? A scratch on the bottom of the body and lens barrel. All said and done, I doubt that either a Canon or Nikon model in the same price range as the K-5 would have survived and would most likely have to be trashed.
I concur and feel Pentax should offer a rental plan for the 560 lens. I bought the K-5 two years ago with the DA*16-50. I've added the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and the Sigma 150-500 plus some legacy glass and a Panagor Macro. My next purchase is a long prime and second body. At $7,000, or even $3,000, I would need to try the lens out. I live in Rockville MD so that probably means a train ride to NYC - add another couple hundred to the cost.

Pentax should offer a rental of the 560! If they have confidence in the lens they should feel comfortable renting it for a week to Pentax users.
03-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Indeed, this site found a vignetting level similar with that of the Canon 600mm f/4 IS II; and they thought that means it's not a full frame lens. Now they're measuring resolution and other stuff, and I really hope they'll follow Falk's advice; otherwise... well, I don't want to think about that.
Is that all?
Well, yes, other than the fact that it's called out as an APS-C (which I don't really trust either). But yup, 'that's all'.

When that 1.3 or whatever number came out I looked at other lenses, because I thought 1.3 wasn't that bad... and the worst I found was ~0.6 or 0.7. Don't know where you're getting a Canon 600mm showing 1.3 EV of vignetting... but even still, I'm sure the Canon's doing super-awesome at f/5.6.

Having to stop down to f/8 on a $7k lens sounds a bit ridiculous to me, but everything about this lens seems ridiculous to me.
Closed Thread