Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FOX Quote
I have always liked and used Aperture but Apple is slow at these things.
Apple needs support from Ricoh, if the K-01 is a dead end maybe they didn't provide the info Apple needs...

02-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
rummer has it Aperture 4 is coming in march
Oh dear, Aperture 3 meant I couldn't use it on my older machines. My last two are both i7s so I should be OK, it just means the day is coming. If Aperture 4 is as much of an upgrade as Aperture 3 was, I'll be a happy camper. Aperture 2 needed help from other programs to do finishing work. Aperture 3 largely solved that. I'm looking forward to seeing where Aperture 4 will go.
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #18

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I have yet to pick up Aperture (just bought an iMac) should I wait or get it now? What I mean is if Aperture 4 releases in March do I need to buy A4 on top of Aperture 3 or is it an update to Aperture 3. Sorry if it seem s a simple question I'm just new to macs and how it works. My instinct says wait until I really need it if a major change is imminent.
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I have yet to pick up Aperture (just bought an iMac) should I wait or get it now? What I mean is if Aperture 4 releases in March do I need to buy A4 on top of Aperture 3 or is it an update to Aperture 3. Sorry if it seem s a simple question I'm just new to macs and how it works. My instinct says wait until I really need it if a major change is imminent.
That's a good question since Aperture is in the app store now as "Aperture" (and not "Aperture 3"), and upgrades there are usually free...

Btw. I hope the new version has highlights/shadows as good as in the newest LR. And that they fix the stupid "Couldn't connect to flickr" bug. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with Aperture. IMHO the Apple RAW converter gives better details/textures out-of-the-box than LR (almost as good as the Pentax converter).

02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am betting on a paid upgrade. Aperture 4 hasn't even been announced, just a book listing on Amazon.ca about Aperture X due in March. The same type of listing appeared before the release of Aperture 3.
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That's a good question since Aperture is in the app store now as "Aperture" (and not "Aperture 3"), and upgrades there are usually free...

Btw. I hope the new version has highlights/shadows as good as in the newest LR. And that they fix the stupid "Couldn't connect to flickr" bug. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with Aperture. IMHO the Apple RAW converter gives better details/textures out-of-the-box than LR (almost as good as the Pentax converter).
I am not sure if you are aware of the possibility to get back the excellent highlight and shadows function of Aperture pre 3.3. versions. This old tool is very nice and for my taste up to the LR tools.
Here is an explanation how to get the old h&s tool: Reclaim the Legacy Highlights & Shadows Adjustment in Aperture

BTW: I have read the new Aperture version will be called Aperture X (so: please, pay for the X, no update) - which was interpreted as a rather bad sign as all "X" pro tools by Apple had major bugs in the beginning and severely reduced features. - Well, rumors. Let's hope the best.
02-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
BTW: I have read the new Aperture version will be called Aperture X (so: please, pay for the X, no update) - which was interpreted as a rather bad sign as all "X" pro tools by Apple had major bugs in the beginning and severely reduced features. - Well, rumors. Let's hope the best.
The book listing is for Aperture X. But so was the book listing for Aperture 3...

02-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I am not sure if you are aware of the possibility to get back the excellent highlight and shadows function of Aperture pre 3.3. versions. This old tool is very nice and for my taste up to the LR tools.
I like the new Aperture function much better than the old, actually. But the new LR tool is better.

QuoteQuote:
Final Cut Pro X is finally catching up now, isn't it? Well, I certainly won't replace my Aperture 3 before the reviews are in!
02-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, I certainly won't replace my Aperture 3 before the reviews are in!
Make that +1.