Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,278
QuoteOriginally posted by FOX Quote
I have always liked and used Aperture but Apple is slow at these things.
Apple needs support from Ricoh, if the K-01 is a dead end maybe they didn't provide the info Apple needs...

02-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,711
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
rummer has it Aperture 4 is coming in march
Oh dear, Aperture 3 meant I couldn't use it on my older machines. My last two are both i7s so I should be OK, it just means the day is coming. If Aperture 4 is as much of an upgrade as Aperture 3 was, I'll be a happy camper. Aperture 2 needed help from other programs to do finishing work. Aperture 3 largely solved that. I'm looking forward to seeing where Aperture 4 will go.
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
bigted's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere on the Banks of the Red River
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,165
I have yet to pick up Aperture (just bought an iMac) should I wait or get it now? What I mean is if Aperture 4 releases in March do I need to buy A4 on top of Aperture 3 or is it an update to Aperture 3. Sorry if it seem s a simple question I'm just new to macs and how it works. My instinct says wait until I really need it if a major change is imminent.
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I have yet to pick up Aperture (just bought an iMac) should I wait or get it now? What I mean is if Aperture 4 releases in March do I need to buy A4 on top of Aperture 3 or is it an update to Aperture 3. Sorry if it seem s a simple question I'm just new to macs and how it works. My instinct says wait until I really need it if a major change is imminent.
That's a good question since Aperture is in the app store now as "Aperture" (and not "Aperture 3"), and upgrades there are usually free...

Btw. I hope the new version has highlights/shadows as good as in the newest LR. And that they fix the stupid "Couldn't connect to flickr" bug. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with Aperture. IMHO the Apple RAW converter gives better details/textures out-of-the-box than LR (almost as good as the Pentax converter).

02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,278
I am betting on a paid upgrade. Aperture 4 hasn't even been announced, just a book listing on Amazon.ca about Aperture X due in March. The same type of listing appeared before the release of Aperture 3.
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Berlin, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 151
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That's a good question since Aperture is in the app store now as "Aperture" (and not "Aperture 3"), and upgrades there are usually free...

Btw. I hope the new version has highlights/shadows as good as in the newest LR. And that they fix the stupid "Couldn't connect to flickr" bug. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with Aperture. IMHO the Apple RAW converter gives better details/textures out-of-the-box than LR (almost as good as the Pentax converter).
I am not sure if you are aware of the possibility to get back the excellent highlight and shadows function of Aperture pre 3.3. versions. This old tool is very nice and for my taste up to the LR tools.
Here is an explanation how to get the old h&s tool: Reclaim the Legacy Highlights & Shadows Adjustment in Aperture

BTW: I have read the new Aperture version will be called Aperture X (so: please, pay for the X, no update) - which was interpreted as a rather bad sign as all "X" pro tools by Apple had major bugs in the beginning and severely reduced features. - Well, rumors. Let's hope the best.
02-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,278
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
BTW: I have read the new Aperture version will be called Aperture X (so: please, pay for the X, no update) - which was interpreted as a rather bad sign as all "X" pro tools by Apple had major bugs in the beginning and severely reduced features. - Well, rumors. Let's hope the best.
The book listing is for Aperture X. But so was the book listing for Aperture 3...
02-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I am not sure if you are aware of the possibility to get back the excellent highlight and shadows function of Aperture pre 3.3. versions. This old tool is very nice and for my taste up to the LR tools.
I like the new Aperture function much better than the old, actually. But the new LR tool is better.

QuoteQuote:
BTW: I have read the new Aperture version will be called Aperture X (so: please, pay for the X, no update) - which was interpreted as a rather bad sign as all "X" pro tools by Apple had major bugs in the beginning and severely reduced features. - Well, rumors. Let's hope the best.
Final Cut Pro X is finally catching up now, isn't it? Well, I certainly won't replace my Aperture 3 before the reviews are in!

02-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Berlin, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 151
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, I certainly won't replace my Aperture 3 before the reviews are in!
Make that +1.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
apple digital camera, camera, compatibility, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Digital Camera utility 4 software update bobmaxja Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 12-06-2011 06:53 AM
Pentax Releases Update to Digital Camera Utility 4 Ole Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 12-03-2011 10:26 AM
Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 changes to raw files disappear 7samurai Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 05-25-2011 05:05 PM
K5 raw DNG files borked by Aperture/Apple Raw upgrade? filmamigo Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 02-22-2011 04:51 AM
Apple Updates RAW Compatibility boriscleto Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 18 02-27-2010 01:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top