Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
From the few shots I took yesterday at home with the 30D + 50f1.4 and K10 + 50f1.4 (no flash for both) all I can say is that when things are moving and lights are dim there are 0% chance of getting anything good with both systems.
Have you tried when the day is bright but yet the subjects are moving like this? Just try, compare and you'll know. :-)

02-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Some may find this useful. I don't remember where this came from.
Interesting to see that in dim light the A700 is worse than the A100. Sony stated they improved AF speed overall with the A700 .....not below EV 4 they did.

Btw, until EV 5 there's notmuch difference between DSLRS. But lower than that....

lock
02-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #33
Forum Member

I have taken possession of my new 30D + 70-200f4L IS USM (+ 50f1.4) yesterday and will test both systems this weekend (if weather permits) and report my feelings.
Thank's I'll look forward to your findings.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
For the application you mentioned, I don't think any Pentax DSLRs can do it, K20D neither, I bet.
I have a gut feeling you my be right, though I would like to see some real world comparisons between the systems to see if the difference is that great.
There are some people who state they have tried other systems AF claiming they appear faster, only after reviewing the shots see that the hit rate is not much better.

I may have to hire both the (40D + 17-55IS) & (D300+17-55) just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Cheers

Del
02-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just tried the AF-C a bit more tonight. By pointing the camera to my own image off a large mirror, I was able to see the pattern more clearly. By walking slowly toward the mirror, I discovered the AF-C was not continuous. By that I mean it would AF, locked focus, stopped and paused a moment, then started again. I think this is the reason that despite the relative fast AF for static subject (given enough light), AF-C is not quite working for moving target because it is really more like a looped AF-S than AF tracking. I have tried all my lenses including fast primes with identical pattern. I also tried the E-410 & 40D last week with their kit zooms and their AF tracking worked continuiously, the 40D never missed a moment, but the E-410 was not bad either (my friend was walking toward me slowly for the test).

Last edited by wlachan; 02-27-2008 at 08:40 AM.
02-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I really wanted to see an AF upgrade and faster x-sync speed would have been really nice.

I feel like there's too much emphasis on mega pixels. Super, now you can print even bigger.
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Have you tried when the day is bright but yet the subjects are moving like this? Just try, compare and you'll know. :-)
As I said, that's the reason why I got the 30D: focus tracking in good light ;-)

Did not try it yet but I hope I'll see the clear difference that is supposed gto be there.
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Over the last two weekends, I have tried getting some pics of my 5 year old and his mom learning rollerskating.
I was using 1/15s f1.4 ISO 1600 without the flash....
Never mind the AF in this case, the slightest movement of your subjects will 1) cause motion blur and 2) take them out of the very thin DOF zone.

02-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Never mind the AF in this case, the slightest movement of your subjects will 1) cause motion blur and 2) take them out of the very thin DOF zone.
That's basically what I said but I have the feeling that some expect to get sharp available light pics of running children in 60W lit rooms... doesn't work for Pentax.... doesn't work for Canon 30D... strongly suspect it just doesn't work!

Another thing is being able to focus and focus track in 60W lit room and take pics with flash... the ball is still out on this but so far, the 30D+50f1.4, while better than K10 doesn't really give me sharp pics (@1/250s) and has trouble focus tracking in these conditions.

Still, I clearly need some more practice before concluding anything.
02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another thing is: the 70-200f4.... WOW! Incredible lens on all counts!
It is indeed from what I hear...sharper than the 70-200/2.8 stopped down and lighter because it has less glass :-)
Thanks for doing the AF testing. Maybe RH will put it in his blog when you're done and do some comparison tests w/ his 5D

VHDEL: you should compare w/ a used Canon 1DmkII as well. That'll AF even in low light and totally stomps AF on the 40D/5D/D300 supposedly...
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #40
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
RH you're wrong. The most critical aspect of a digital camera first and foremost is its SENSOR.

You make it sound like Pentax's AF is hopeless. Well it isn't in my book. As to exposure, a good photographer is one who knows when the metering system is likely to give an incorrect reading. Don't blame the equipment if you have bad technique or lack photographic knowledge.

BTW why don't you post some pictures to substantiate your claims, since you're the authority in carrying out pseudo measurements.
I'm not going to take your side or his, but I will say this: even the best sensor in the world is useless if the body's AF system fails to nail the shot.

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 02-27-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #41
Veteran Member

"even the best sensor in the world is useless it the body's AF system fails to nail the shot."

Amen to that!
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"even the best sensor in the world is useless it the body's AF system fails to nail the shot."

"Hallelujah" to that, even.

It's what I've been saying for a while, just not so succinctly.
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote

Amen to that!
I'll second that!

Peter
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Looks like I might as well add my Amen to that also.
02-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote

Amen to that!
Even the paparazzi with their Canons and Nikons have a strobe/flash on. Does that mean their AF system sucks? Sensor?

To Miriya: Use a flash with a diffuser. You can get a better shutter rate then just relying on the wide open aperture.