Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Thank you, Adam & everyone involved.
The level of information is about what I expected, maybe a little bit more than that ("we are looking to become number one in autofocus" - that's pretty bold, and since they're Japanese it shouldn't be only words). Of course, they wouldn't release specifications, launch dates etc. - but then, who would?

02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Thanks for effort everyone involved. Unfortunately these guys did not really tell us that much. From their choice of words it is obvious that they are indeed making a FF DSLR but the schedule remains totally unclear to me.

At first I was wondering what was the role of the other guy doing there. The guy doing most of the talking was so relaxed that his body language did not suggest the other guy being his superior. Then I thought he's a comic sidekick. But seeing how he actively handled som questions, it was obvious these guys are at or near the same level in corporate hierarchy but in charge of different product families.
I would've guessed the guy on the left is from marketing and the guy on the right is from engineering.
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I would've guessed the guy on the left is from marketing and the guy on the right is from engineering.
Yeah, you may be right. But obviously not a spokesman and his boss.
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter

First up - thanks to all that made this interview happen.
Looks like they are playing their cards close to their chests which is understandable I suppose.
I would like to think that by the end of the year we have a FF, with weather sealed lenses, that is #1 in auto focus. (May they also re-evaluate the number of people who would like tethering)
This time next year I will be the owner of a full frame system suitable for sports photography (among other things)
I sincerely hope it is a Pentax system

02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Yeah, you may be right. But obviously not a spokesman and his boss.
I concur....
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I would not rule out that Mr. Right is the mentor to Mr. Left. Note the complacency in Mr. R as Mr. L speaks -- and Mr. L speaks first. Then once Mr. R starts speaking, Mr. L's expression goes through a number of phases before settling into impassive concentration. After that, every time Mr. L speaks, Mr. R nods as the beginning as though giving the go-ahead. And the last words belong to Mr. R.

Of course that's just one possible reading of their relationship.

Edit: I stand fully corrected by the next post.

Last edited by asaru; 02-15-2013 at 09:28 PM.
02-15-2013, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guy on the left, Shingeru Wakasiro, was the chief development guy for K20/K-m/etc. I think he oveorsees all Pentax DSLR technologies development now. Maybe more. The guy on the right, Hiraku Kawauchi, is from Ricoh, I think similar role (maybe Hiraku works more with sales) and answers all questions related to Ricoh part of the story (Ricoh sales channels, Ricoh camera models). More engineers and manager types, but they are same team now.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-15-2013 at 08:33 PM.
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It sounds like Pentax is doing a lot of discussing, planning, thinking, wishing, evaluating, and especially considering.
Now, that's not fair, they are also "reviewing"

02-15-2013, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

The answers in this interview reminded me of the incomparable Yes, Minister series. Here is a lesson from Sir Humphrey Appleby about how to provide an official answer:

QuoteQuote:
Then we reply. Something like: "The matter is under consideration." Or even, if we feel so inclined, "under active consideration!"' 'What's the difference between "under consideration" and "under active consideration"?' I asked. '"Under consideration" means we've lost the file. "Under active consideration" means we're trying to find it!'
More choice quotes here.

Will Pentax make a FF camera? Of course, "beyond question, at the appropriate juncture, in due course, in the fullness of time"...
02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Guy on the left, Shingeru Wakasiro, was the chief development guy for K20/K-m/etc. I think he oveorsees all Pentax DSLR technologies development now. Maybe more. The guy on the right, Hiraku Kawauchi, is from Ricoh, I think similar role (maybe Hiraku works more with sales) and answers all questions related to Ricoh part of the story (Ricoh sales channels, Ricoh camera models). More engineers and manager types, but they are same team now.
I stand corrected.
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #26
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This one stuck out to me. Tethering seems to be highly requested here on the forum but it appears that it has not hit Pentax's radar. So how do we make a 'request' for this product? Is there an official Pentax request mail box or something?

Why don't we have a tethering request thread on here like the one with the FF? In fact I think I will make one!

*Here it is! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/215616-pentax-give...-petition.html

Last edited by VoiceOfReason; 02-15-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: made a petiton
02-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I liked that they implicitly acknowledged they were NOT the best in autofocus.
I think they're cautious, not delusional. The intention (I read it as just that) to be #1 in autofocus is to be lauded. I hope they achieve it.
02-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The answers in this interview reminded me of the incomparable Yes, Minister series. Here is a lesson from Sir Humphrey Appleby about how to provide an official answer:

More choice quotes here.

Will Pentax make a FF camera? Of course, "beyond question, at the appropriate juncture, in due course, in the fullness of time"...
As a former Civil Servant I must object here. If we were actually looking for a lost file we would be "pulling out all the stops!" "Active consideration" would be thinking about looking for the file.... Just kidding, of course. Yes (Prime)Minister was a wonderful programme, and had a lot of truth to it.
02-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #29
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote

Will Pentax make a FF camera?
02-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #30

I watched this interview and after years with Pentax decided to sign up here and write something what I would like to see in new body. Some of ideas were in interview but never mind, I'll just write it (in no particular order), (and sorry for not perfect english but I hope You'll understand what I have in mind )

1. Of course and like usually, better AF. I know how to play with it to be better but still, this should work better. I don't understand why if focus passing over focused zone and started to be just more blured in time, camera can't just go back, but go to end of scale and back again... Of course I don't know technical things in this system but this is kind of stupid... especially if most of lenses doesn't have limit switch For example in my 35mm macro lens, when I shot not macro things and AF will lost, it goes faaaar faaar to the end and then back (most of scale is in macro). Ok I know this could be a problem if you really would like to change a focus to something in macro scale but why can't be one of custom buttons programmable like a limit switch for example to prevent this border focusing
2. What about Full HD 60fps? (I dream about 120, but 60 is something what give possibility to stretch to fake slow motion much better than 30fps or 25fps in my K-5)
3. Something about selecting photos to delete in thumbnail view... What if you could select like range: from -> to. I hate when I must manually selecting 30 photos for example, and buttons hates it also
4. Again video mode... Why we can't turn off a screen when we record a video... It use battery, sometimes we don't won't to someone to see it etc...
5. What about focusing screen like Katz Eye but from Pentax? Is possible to buy original different types of it just with different types of lines but what about Katz Eye type?
6. Good that Pentax talked about flash. We need update here, good if Pentax could think about wireless communication and setup flashes from body (for example I have flash 3m from me and I just want change something and check results from my position without walking there and back... of course additional people are good for that also but well, you know...). If we talking about flash... Would be good to be able to choose what AF assist light will be active... Now with my AF540FGZ and K-5 I have possibility to just use this really bad flash assist..
7. Next thing about video recording. Why body can't read different format type than FAT32... It's stupid that we can't record long scenes with this limitation of file size... Ok... but is different option also... why it can't just cut one video to parts... 2 options... sounds easy
8. Maybe 2 slots for cards with possibility of file operations between them.
9. Dedicated software to control camera (if new camera will have wifi also working wireless). I know something like that exist but this was poor option. Why this software couldn't be better? Could be nice to have a preview on computer screen and setup many things also with some presets (maybe some scripting possibilities?). I know one user of polish Pentax Forum sooome time ago, worked about this type of software. I have even "better" idea for photo and video ( I don't know is it possible from technical view). Lets say you have some things on table... and what if with this software you could setup custom focuses and later on timeline just make some curves to make a nice video between them... (this is just idea because I don't know anything about custom speed of AF engine). Ok this is maybe not main point but better software what could work better with camera could be nice addon for studio and custom uses.

But I'm happy with my Pentax... I just would like some small improvements ;D and I'm really happy that we will have FF and I hope Pentax will be better and better in good Pentax style! :]