02-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Discontinued Model Lineup | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
http://www.pentax.jp/japan/products/others.html

K-01 is Discontinued OFFICIALLY.

It's strange answer from interview
Well, we haven’t completely discontinued it.

Right hand doesn't know what left hand does...

Maybe, all they answered to you are not truth. How to trust if they tell lies?

Last edited by ogl; 02-16-2013 at 10:44 AM.
02-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go by what has been done in the past.
The K-01 had been earmarked for discontinuation for a while.
The statement above was true at the time.
And in the end, it doesn't make a difference when it was known the K-01 was going to be discontinued anyway.
It's time to move onto bigger and better things Pentax has in store for us.
02-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
Inactive Account

No requests for tethering?? This sounds like a joke for me! Tethered shooting is helpful in so many ways, and I heard MANY requests for this feature. Pktether is nice, but lacks stability and of course a nice frontend. Phocus software is the best example how it's done!
02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Go by what has been done in the past.
The K-01 had been earmarked for discontinuation for a while.
The statement above was true at the time.
And in the end, it doesn't make a difference when it was known the K-01 was going to be discontinued anyway.
It's time to move onto bigger and better things Pentax has in store for us.
There's an awful lot of new technology inside a K-01 that can reappear n an entirely different physical format K-mount mirrorless camera - thus the K-01 (technologically) might not actually be completely discontinued. The K-01 (conceptually) is surely cold, dead and buried.

Were I the Pentax Product Manager who had voted to go ahead with the Newson-concept K-01 (and did I still have the job) I would never want to SEE the thing again, much less try a K-02. I truly believe Pentax was wholly unprepared for the absolute and total negative reaction the (really pretty decent) camera received.

02-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought the K-01 was a good try, but overpriced on introduction, but maybe it couldn't be otherwise. I'm sure what pentax would like to replicate is
a K-1000.--- a low end K-mount camera that sells by boat loads over many years. Sadly the K-01 isn't destined to fit in the niche.

I don't know about tethering, but I sure think a remote control/wifi would be cool. It would finally make power zoom useful---but wait, power zoom doesn't
exist any more.
02-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #36
ogl
Banned

K-01 is good idea. Will we see K-02? Smaller and with EVF?
02-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I thought the K-01 was a good try, but overpriced on introduction, but maybe it couldn't be otherwise. I'm sure what pentax would like to replicate is
a K-1000.--- a low end K-mount camera that sells by boat loads over many years. Sadly the K-01 isn't destined to fit in the niche..
The photography world has been stuck in cliches for decades, and a refreshing idea like the K-01 certainly challenges its preconceived ideas. It takes time for certain new concepts to prove themselves, and I think K-01 is now doing just that. So instead of reintroducing a revamped K1000, maybe K-01 is the K1000 for the beginning of the new millennium. Or maybe it's the Pentax Q?

I suggest, let's see beyond the appearance, see the intention, and how a camera concept changes our idea what a photographic tool should be and look like, how it blends into a modern world. K1000 changed that perception before. Now we need something that challenges our ideas that K1000 helped create, and maybe Pentax is the only company that can do that — challenge their own heritage, and help us too.

Do I see a D4, 1D, or K-5-like camera to be a type of photographic tool that somewhat encapsulates the photography spirit of the next decades? Not at all. Not even NEX. Maybe smartphone camera is, but speaking strictly of dedicated tools, I think Pentax K-01 or even more Pentax Q is the better answer.

I think that is what Pentax really wants, go into the new, yet its "loyal userbase" is constantly dragging them back into the 20th century. Our lenses are pointed in the wrong direction, unfortunately.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-16-2013 at 10:40 PM.
02-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The essence of photography is and has always been -- pick the moment, frame the image, adjust the settings, expose the image. The first has little to do with the equipment; the second and third work together and influence each other. There is nothing new except hidden technology within the camera.

Where the "loyal userbase" gets to express its opinion is in the settings: not only their usability but the variables being controlled and the settable values. But again there is nothing especially new here. Except one thing: the ergonomics should be optimized.

The so-called "twentieth century" pull is just towards ergonomics so simple basically no manual is required. It is not at all obvious that the hidden technology cannot be controlled more simply than it is at the moment.

All the rest, the tedious discussions about full frame and optical versus electronic viewfinders or back led screens or whatever, is either an irrelevant argument about formats (honestly, the 35mm vs 120/220 roll versus sheet film business grew sterile decades ago) or just expressions of frustration with the overly complex user interface, or silliest of all, subjective choices. How many viewfinders and mirror screens were made available for the LX?.

There is nothing fundamentally new being argued about.

By the way, the K1000 changed nothing. It was an archaic design the moment it was introduced.
02-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #39

k-01 a flop

The K-01 was a camera brought out too quickly to try to keep up with the pack. Really, a lack of an eye level viewfinder is a big turn-off. For the weight and size, the only advantage over a DSLR was the mirror flop hassle. Pentax does have some features that are unique, so the next generation of cameras must capitalize on them.
For those with Nikon gear, it must drive them nuts to have to fork out extra for VR lenses. VR in the lens is less satisfactory than in the sensor. This is a really big plus.
The O-GPS-1 allowing short astronomical tracking without mucking around with tracking mounts is unique. Given this, a bit higher emphasis on a camera more suitable for astronomy will bring in new users. Pentax already has the best low temperature performance and weather sealing for DSLR cameras. All Pentax would have to develop for such a camera is a wider wavelength sensitivity and better ultra high sensitivity performance and noise reduction. Pentax does have some astronomy products. Speciality astronomy cameras are expensive, so there is latitude to pinch market share. Canon had some success with an astronomy modified model several years ago. Wifi to a laptop and external power for the long exposures would make the system gel in well. Astronomy rigs typically have wires everywhere which often are powered with big car or truck batteries. I use a 75 amp hour one myself which doubles as a stabilizer for the rig to stop it being knocked over in the dark, something other astronomers have not cottoned on to. Perhaps a dedicated rechargeable battery pack that could last right through a solid night's shooting without getting hot. Some astronomy images can use up to 40 hours of exposure to build up an image then many hours of processing. Setting up the rig accurately is also a big deal, which is where the sensor shift via the o-GPS-1 could be a revolution for the not so dedicated astro photographer.
02-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's an awful lot of new technology inside a K-01 that can reappear n an entirely different physical format K-mount mirrorless camera
What technology that hasn't already appeared in the K-30?
02-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What technology that hasn't already appeared in the K-30?
Yes. Inside the K-01.
K-01 is Movie-optimized. K-30 is still-optimized.
  • Remove the mirrorbox and all related hardware and firmware from the K30, replace with K-01 tech and you have an entry-level MILC in a K-r SLR-style body.
  • New IBIS technology introduced in the K-01.
  • Prime-M image processor
  • K-01 CDAF different from CDAF technology in K-30 LiveView.
  • HDMI out
  • Recessed lens technology.
K-01 and K-30 share Pentax's mid-range control layout (which frustrates some posters here because it differs from the full control layout on the K5). The comment "K-01 isn't completely discontinued" means something. I believe it means mirrorless K-mount development continues on the K-01 technology platform, just not for the K-01 body format.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-17-2013 at 07:43 AM.
02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #42
JPT
Pentaxian

I can't imagine that Pentax will ever again release a K-mount camera without live view, so the technology developed in the K-01 and its firmware will be useful to every K-mount camera they release. Also, looking at the pictures in the link that monochrome just posted, they must have worked hard to miniaturise the electronics too, which will be useful in any future camera.

I have a hunch that they will go with the idea of a retro K-mount camera. The DA Limited Zoom on the roadmap could be part of that plan and the MX-1 could be an indication of their design philosophy. I wonder whether they would go mirrorless or DSLR for such a camera, but the work they put into the K-01 gives them the choice of either. I think this camera would be a hit and sell a lot of Limited lenses. Also, Canon, Nikon and Sony couldn't follow them because they don't have the range of small lenses.
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think that is what Pentax really wants, go into the new, yet its "loyal userbase" is constantly dragging them back into the 20th century. Our lenses are pointed in the wrong direction, unfortunately.

An installed user base is always your best friend and worst enemy no matter what you are selling.

It's your friend because they have purchased from you before, and particularly where there are interlocking pieces, as with SLR's you
have the customers at least partly prisoner.

Likewise an installed base is your enemy because it precludes 'clean sheet' innovation.

When technology is relatively stable installed base helps, and when the paradigm is shifting it's not so good.

Right now, I'm part of that 'loyal userbase' that is dragging them back to the 20th century. I have $10-15,000USD worth
of lenses for the K-Mount---replacement cost maybe double that.

What I want in the way of a camera body is one that works will with my lens collection---end of discussion.

Likewise the K-5 I have takes the best photos that I have ever taken in my life and they are plenty good enough for my needs.

Questions of whether there is a better mousetrap aren't really of much interest to me. Maybe the Q is the future, but not my future.
When it comes to FF, if pentax makes one, I'll probably buy one, but not because I need it or have been pounding on the table for
it. If Pentax abandons the K mount, I'll probably go buy two or 3 of the best model they made on close out and bury them in the back
yard for future use, but I"ve been using Pentax since the Spotamatic and any change at this point in my life doesn't make a lot of sense.
02-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"haven't completely discontinued" the K-01 may just mean that they will continue to issue firmware updates, like the discontinued K-r and K-5, but not the discontinued K-x and K-7.

I think Focus Peaking and greater emphasis on video will be the K-01's most obvious legacy. The more-densely populated circuit board may provide room for an articulated LCD in a bigger body (although they don't sound enthusiastic about the idea), but until there is a breakthrough that allows the the sensor / SR chassis to be smaller, the K-01 is about as small as a (digital) K-mount camera can be.
02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
"haven't completely discontinued" the K-01 may just mean that they will continue to issue firmware updates, like the discontinued K-r and K-5, but not the discontinued K-x and K-7.

I think Focus Peaking and greater emphasis on video will be the K-01's most obvious legacy. The more-densely populated circuit board may provide room for an articulated LCD in a bigger body (although they don't sound enthusiastic about the idea), but until there is a breakthrough that allows the the sensor / SR chassis to be smaller, the K-01 is about as small as a (digital) K-mount camera can be.
I had a chance to play with a Canon 650D yesterday. That has articulated and touch screen. Those toys are nice for children, but are a painfull for serious use on a little screen (3 inch is small).