Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CP+ 2013 Pentax Interview Posted

See the video and transcript below, and feel free to discuss in this thread!
CP+ 2013 Interview with Pentax - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2013, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It sounds like Pentax is doing a lot of discussing, planning, thinking, wishing, evaluating, and especially considering.

I hope some "doing" is on the table.

EDITED to add: Thanks, Adam, for doing this. I may be disappointed with the wishy-washy answers, but you deserve a lot of credit for trying to pry some details out of them.
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I would say that even though this show wasn't the biggest for Pentax (or anyone in the photo industry for that matter), we probably have lots of great stuff coming later this year. Just look at the roadmap and what we've been told at Photokina and now here. We can look forward to a new advanced DSLR, a new intro-level DSLR, and perhaps even a full-frame in the near future

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doing an interview like that has to be one of the hardest things an executive can do. And a huge personal risk where one wrong word can be career ending. It is not easy to field questions, make everyone happy and make sure you say nothing that can be construed differently than you meant. And knowing that no matter how good you do, those folks on the internet will read things into it that were never intended or implied.

And a big thanks to Adam for doing this. If nothing else it helps keep the lines of communication open, show them their user base cares and hopefully they will take home as much from the questions asked as we did from the answers given.

02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, it isn't so much what wasn't said, nor even how what was said was said, but that something was said about so many products. Only the TC and DA* Zoom were refused - and that might be because they are very close to an announcement!

I thought the FF commentary was very forthcoming: the opinion is changing inside the company more in favor of going ahead, just since Photokina, and although there are still some within the company who think we shouldn't, more of us now think we should - so we are developing components.

What more can they actually DO?
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Are there any plans to bring back official tethering support to cameras other than the Pentax 645D?
As of now we don’t have many requests, but if demand for models other than the 645D increase, we will consider it.
This one stuck out to me. Tethering seems to be highly requested here on the forum but it appears that it has not hit Pentax's radar. So how do we make a 'request' for this product? Is there an official Pentax request mail box or something?

02-15-2013, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to think about this one.

02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A long time ago, when I was studying Japanese (not very successfully), I read how US businessmen were frequently frustrated by meetings with the Japanese because nothing was ever "decided" (and yet things mysteriously got done). I think the 'wishy-washy' answers are an example of this, where we expect a 'yes' or 'no', and they say 'we are thinking about it'.
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like how they keep saying 'we don't have many requests from users about this' or 'we will consider it if there are more requests from users', yet they don't really have an established channel to obtain and observe user feedback. They really have to change the corporate culture to be more modern -- something every single Japanese company is struggling with right now.
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I find it hugely interesting that, while they said that they are "considering" a lot of things, the only definitive statement is that they want to be number one in autofocus??? That's most welcome of course, but I hope this is not a translation error but a promise.
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
the only definitive statement is that they want to be number one in autofocus???
Sort of makes sense, depending on how the powers that be get information. That is most likely the number one criticism of Pentax whether it is true or not. So if they have done focus groups or polls on why one would buy another brand over Pentax and the common answer was better AF then that may be what has gotten their attention. Personally I would rather they work on a number of other things as I find the AF quite adequate for my needs, but I realize I'm in the minority with that opinion.

I was happy to see them say small size would continue to be an advantage for them, I really don't want anything bigger than k-5. I find myself using k-01 more than I thought because I can just stick it in my pocket. And speaking of k-01 :
QuoteQuote:
Has the K-01 been discontinued?
Well, we haven’t completely discontinued it.
is good news. I must admit I was not a fan until I bought one, but have definitely changed my mind.

02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I like how they keep saying 'we don't have many requests from users about this' or 'we will consider it if there are more requests from users', yet they don't really have an established channel to obtain and observe user feedback. They really have to change the corporate culture to be more modern -- something every single Japanese company is struggling with right now.
That's funny, because when I heard them say 'we haven't heard that' several times, I started screaming.

I hope they heard me.
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I find it hugely interesting that, while they said that they are "considering" a lot of things, the only definitive statement is that they want to be number one in autofocus??? That's most welcome of course, but I hope this is not a translation error but a promise.
I liked that they implicitly acknowledged they were NOT the best in autofocus.
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I must admit I was not a fan until I bought one, but have definitely changed my mind.
Dropping the price of the K-01 and original Q to ridiculously low prices was a master stroke in damage control.
By getting a Q and K-01 into the hands of as many people as possible initial negative opinions are reversing. The internet will spread the word virally and though they will no doubt be losing money in the short term, they'll turn what began as a failed product design into a successful culture and have maybe created demand for the survival of the genre.
Not to mention of course that sales of Pentax Q lenses will be much better now.
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for the effort everyone involved. Unfortunately these guys did not really tell us that much. From their choice of words it is obvious that they are indeed making a FF DSLR but the schedule remains totally unclear to me.

At first I was wondering what was the role of the other guy doing there. The guy doing most of the talking was so relaxed that his body language did not suggest the other guy being his superior. Then I thought he's a comic sidekick. But seeing how he actively handled som questions, it was obvious these guys are at or near the same level in corporate hierarchy but in charge of different product families.

Last edited by Raffwal; 02-16-2013 at 12:39 AM.