Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why do we in the Low Countries have to wait

when everybody else is having fun....
I mean it was second half of march for everybody.....

02-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
when everybody else is having fun....
I mean it was second half of march for everybody.....
Since my ancestors are Dutch (Brink, Sprik) I would say it might have something to do with the Calvin way of life. You are destined to suffer.
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
..........because you're waiting for the overflow

I know! I know! ....on my bike...I'm going! I'm going.............
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
..........because you're waiting for the overflow

I know! I know! ....on my bike...I'm going! I'm going.............

I see Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more is now promising delivery by Feb 28 if you order today. that' sooner than May they were promising a week ago.

02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi janneman
QuoteQuote:
Because you're obviously Low down on Pentax's list of priorities ? Sorry, but I simply couldn't resist ! Let's hope the new cameras soon become available in your area......

Good luck
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-27-2008 at 01:07 PM.
02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

welcome to the club. Our neighbours to the south are out running around and taking shots with the new body. We can only look across the border and wonder when the dealers will have their first stock.

And they wonder why so many Canadians shop online....
02-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax marketing is wrong here.

Pentax obviously is focused on the US market much more than any other market (excluding the Japanese). In europe prices are 30% or more higher than in the US, no rebate programs, later availability of new products, less lenses available (try getting a Pentax TC for instance, also true for any brand K mount lens by the way).

While Europe is a bigger market than the US for DSLR cameras in general this is not a very cleaver business decision of Pentax.

- Bert
02-28-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hey, don't call Belgium (yep the other one of the low countries) a calvinist nation... It's mostly catholic (or used to be anyway). Not that I really care though...

From what I heard the show stopper is the distributor which is located in Belgium (De Beukelaer) with a subsidiary in The Netherlands. A little mouse told me they already have the K20Ds in stock, but would be testing them to ensure delivering the very best quality... Seems they have a reputation for doing so. Cannot tell whether this is correct or an excuse...

They don't only distribute Pentax btw, but also other brands one of which is Leica.

Wim

02-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

While Europe is a bigger market than the US for DSLR cameras in general this is not a very cleaver business decision of Pentax.

- Bert
Pentax marketing making a bad decision? Gee that's a first, LOL!
02-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't agree with the launch tactics either. The Eu has a larger population and generally an equal level of disposable income. Canada very much matches the US in those regards as well and same for Au. So maybe it comes down to the ability of a smaller company to produce enough product for all these markets at the same time. I dunno but it would be nice if they spread it around more.

As for price, Canada and the Eu will always pay more. The US hasn't got any type of VAT and very low tax rates. So the prices reflect that. Like it or not, we both get things like health care and they don't. I'll pay more for that.
02-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

Pentax obviously is focused on the US market much more than any other market (excluding the Japanese). In europe prices are 30% or more higher than in the US, no rebate programs, later availability of new products, less lenses available (try getting a Pentax TC for instance, also true for any brand K mount lens by the way).

- Bert
I doubt corporate Pentax marketing had that much to do with it. Chalk this up to the ways all the different sales companies do business. The US sales company probably just got on board first with the biggest order, that's all.

I remember way back when I worked for Commodore Intl. We had about 80 different sales companies around the world. When a new product was announced the US sales company would jump on board with a huge order. Some of the European sales companies would hold off until they could see how popular the new product was going to be. Without the US sales company support, a new product wouldn't even go into production. $$$ talk.

I think the general impression here is that Pentax is a monolithic entity with all decisions made in Japan. I don't think that is the case. I'd have to see the financials, but I think you will find that the sales companies in each country are independent and are making their own decisions as to when to order and how much.

Last edited by Rickster; 02-28-2008 at 09:04 AM.
02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I doubt corporate Pentax marketing had that much to do with it. Chalk this up to the ways all the different sales companies do business. The US sales company probably just got on board first with the biggest order, that's all.

I remember way back when I worked for Commodore Intl. We had about 80 different sales companies around the world. When a new product was announced the US sales company would jump on board with a huge order. Some of the European sales companies would hold off until they could see how popular the new product was going to be. Without the US sales company support, a new product wouldn't even go into production. $$$ talk.

I think the general impression here is that Pentax is a monolithic entity with all decisions made in Japan. I don't think that is the case. I'd have to see the financials, but I think you will find that the sales companies in each country are independent and are making their own decisions as to when to order and how much.
Hum, if that's the case, perhaps we should pull the European forces together on this forum of anyone interested to buy a K20D and start a parallel import action.

- Bert
02-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah but you have better beer than we do (Former homebrewer, current teatotaller)
02-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Yeah but you have better beer than we do (Former homebrewer, current teatotaller)
Ain't that the truth!!!
03-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
latest news

first store lists now : "in store".
Not the one I pre ordered from