Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
Why do we in the Low Countries have to wait

when everybody else is having fun....
I mean it was second half of march for everybody.....

02-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
when everybody else is having fun....
I mean it was second half of march for everybody.....
Since my ancestors are Dutch (Brink, Sprik) I would say it might have something to do with the Calvin way of life. You are destined to suffer.
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,488
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Why do we in the Low Countries have to wait
..........because you're waiting for the overflow


I know! I know! ....on my bike...I'm going! I'm going.............
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,176
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
..........because you're waiting for the overflow


I know! I know! ....on my bike...I'm going! I'm going.............

I see Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more is now promising delivery by Feb 28 if you order today. that' sooner than May they were promising a week ago.

02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,067
Hi janneman
QuoteQuote:
Why do we in the Low Countries have to wait
Because you're obviously Low down on Pentax's list of priorities ? Sorry, but I simply couldn't resist ! Let's hope the new cameras soon become available in your area......

Good luck
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-27-2008 at 01:07 PM.
02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
welcome to the club. Our neighbours to the south are out running around and taking shots with the new body. We can only look across the border and wonder when the dealers will have their first stock.

And they wonder why so many Canadians shop online....
02-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
Pentax marketing is wrong here.

Pentax obviously is focused on the US market much more than any other market (excluding the Japanese). In europe prices are 30% or more higher than in the US, no rebate programs, later availability of new products, less lenses available (try getting a Pentax TC for instance, also true for any brand K mount lens by the way).

While Europe is a bigger market than the US for DSLR cameras in general this is not a very cleaver business decision of Pentax.

- Bert
02-28-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,026
Hey, don't call Belgium (yep the other one of the low countries) a calvinist nation... It's mostly catholic (or used to be anyway). Not that I really care though...

From what I heard the show stopper is the distributor which is located in Belgium (De Beukelaer) with a subsidiary in The Netherlands. A little mouse told me they already have the K20Ds in stock, but would be testing them to ensure delivering the very best quality... Seems they have a reputation for doing so. Cannot tell whether this is correct or an excuse...

They don't only distribute Pentax btw, but also other brands one of which is Leica.

Wim

02-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Pentax marketing is wrong here.

While Europe is a bigger market than the US for DSLR cameras in general this is not a very cleaver business decision of Pentax.

- Bert
Pentax marketing making a bad decision? Gee that's a first, LOL!
02-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
I don't agree with the launch tactics either. The Eu has a larger population and generally an equal level of disposable income. Canada very much matches the US in those regards as well and same for Au. So maybe it comes down to the ability of a smaller company to produce enough product for all these markets at the same time. I dunno but it would be nice if they spread it around more.

As for price, Canada and the Eu will always pay more. The US hasn't got any type of VAT and very low tax rates. So the prices reflect that. Like it or not, we both get things like health care and they don't. I'll pay more for that.
02-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Rickster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 495
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Pentax marketing is wrong here.

Pentax obviously is focused on the US market much more than any other market (excluding the Japanese). In europe prices are 30% or more higher than in the US, no rebate programs, later availability of new products, less lenses available (try getting a Pentax TC for instance, also true for any brand K mount lens by the way).

While Europe is a bigger market than the US for DSLR cameras in general this is not a very cleaver business decision of Pentax.

- Bert
I doubt corporate Pentax marketing had that much to do with it. Chalk this up to the ways all the different sales companies do business. The US sales company probably just got on board first with the biggest order, that's all.

I remember way back when I worked for Commodore Intl. We had about 80 different sales companies around the world. When a new product was announced the US sales company would jump on board with a huge order. Some of the European sales companies would hold off until they could see how popular the new product was going to be. Without the US sales company support, a new product wouldn't even go into production. $$$ talk.

I think the general impression here is that Pentax is a monolithic entity with all decisions made in Japan. I don't think that is the case. I'd have to see the financials, but I think you will find that the sales companies in each country are independent and are making their own decisions as to when to order and how much.

Last edited by Rickster; 02-28-2008 at 09:04 AM.
02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I doubt corporate Pentax marketing had that much to do with it. Chalk this up to the ways all the different sales companies do business. The US sales company probably just got on board first with the biggest order, that's all.

I remember way back when I worked for Commodore Intl. We had about 80 different sales companies around the world. When a new product was announced the US sales company would jump on board with a huge order. Some of the European sales companies would hold off until they could see how popular the new product was going to be. Without the US sales company support, a new product wouldn't even go into production. $$$ talk.

I think the general impression here is that Pentax is a monolithic entity with all decisions made in Japan. I don't think that is the case. I'd have to see the financials, but I think you will find that the sales companies in each country are independent and are making their own decisions as to when to order and how much.
Hum, if that's the case, perhaps we should pull the European forces together on this forum of anyone interested to buy a K20D and start a parallel import action.

- Bert
02-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
Yeah but you have better beer than we do (Former homebrewer, current teatotaller)
02-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Rickster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 495
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Yeah but you have better beer than we do (Former homebrewer, current teatotaller)
Ain't that the truth!!!
03-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
Original Poster
latest news

first store lists now : "in store".
Not the one I pre ordered from
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-7 pricing for Europe countries Vaikis_ Pentax News and Rumors 26 05-27-2009 03:27 AM
Low light shooting capabilities GX20 at low ISO cabstar Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 12-04-2008 11:01 AM
Pentax brings countries together... navcom Photographic Technique 8 10-06-2008 02:57 PM
Da Lens Prices ! Low Low Low 247nino Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 04-14-2008 11:55 AM
Lenses made in other countries sunsetdp Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 01-10-2008 07:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top