Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
To get the same image you need to shoot at one stop slower shutterspeed on FF than on APS. This means that in order to freeze action (for example) you need to crank up the ISO thereby loosing the high ISO advantage. I know all about this;I've shot two different formats for 15 years and there are no free lunches.
+1 I agree, though with the Leica S2 and 645D using those cameras handheld I prefer to keep my shutter speeds at f/x2 - meaning if i'm using a 35mm lens, my shutter speeds will be two stops higher than the focal length to eliminate any chance of camera shake.

02-21-2013, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #167
Pentaxian

You use a larger format in order to get better image quality.
And you get the better image quality (even without boosting ISO).

What you cannot get is the same exposure and greater print size at the same time. That would be the "free lunch" you are talking about. If you print an FF image to the same size as an APS-C image (i.e., you don't want to exploit the "print bigger" potential of FF) then you do not need to boost your ISO.

In short, froeschle was completely right.

EG. my FA* 200/4 Macro have turned into something totally wonderful when used on APS: It now goes to 50% larger than life size (compared to FF) for Macro.
Whatever you fancy about your FA* 200/4 on APS-C, you can get the same by cropping an FF image (provided that the FF camera has the same pixel pitch as the APS-C camera; D800 vs K-5 is an example for the latter).

Think about it. The FF camera (in crop mode) gives you everything the APS-C camera can give you. No loss of anything whatsoever. The only difference is that the FF camera can give you more, if you want it.

FF is a superset of APS-C. There are no advantages to APS-C (other than accidental real-world circumstances, e.g., that APS-C sensor typically have higher pixel pitch than FF sensors), but there are advantages to FF.

The price difference between FF and APS is not marginal. Comparable bodies are about twice the price.
The Canon 6D and Nikon D600 are just the beginning of past margins coming down.
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Whatever you fancy about your FA* 200/4 on APS-C, you can get the same by cropping an FF image (provided that the FF camera has the same pixel pitch as the APS-C camera; D800 vs K-5 is an example for the latter).

Think about it. The FF camera (in crop mode) gives you everything the APS-C camera can give you. No loss of anything whatsoever. The only difference is that the FF camera can give you more, if you want it.

FF is a superset of APS-C. There are no advantages to APS-C (other than accidental real-world circumstances, e.g., that APS-C sensor typically have higher pixel pitch than FF sensors), but there are advantages to FF.
Agreed. I hope Pentax incorporates the 1.3X crop mode of the D7100 (2X crop vs FF). Then m4/3 users will have to stop saying stuff like "a 300mm lens is 600mm equivalent on 4/3, and APS-C is only 450mm".
02-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #169
Pentaxian

There are no advantages to APS-C
So the fact that most lenses designed for APS-C just happen to be smaller than their FX format equivalents is just a marketing gimmick to you?

Think about it, if APS-C cameras didn't exist and the industry demanded cameras be either full frame or nothing, Pentax wouldn't exist as we know it. Pentax, Nikon,Canon, Leica,Olympus, Minolta,Sony,Ricoh,Fuji,Hasselblad,Contax - basically the whole industry wouldn't be anywhere near as diverse as it is today if people weren't willing to accept APS-C (and smaller sensor format) cameras.

but there are advantages to FF.
Horses for courses, you know there are advantages to 8X10 format too, the ability to use camera movements with a massive variety of lenses - some of which are diffraction limited.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-22-2013 at 12:28 AM.
02-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #170
Pentaxian

..and sell twice as much...
Yep and this is exactly what I criticized (and Falk didn't like it but would I always agree with him) about the cheap FF from Canikon.
This more of a financial/strategic decision than anything else. They offer something more, indeed. But the lines don't really move.
Only the advanced APS (D7000 - K5 etc.) cams will go somewhat lower. True "pro" APS will remain at the same price or more expensive than cheap FF. And with cheap FF they offer cheap (relatively) bodies (cheap bodies for FF meaning D7000/60D kind of body).

Entry to ticket to FF is lower than before? Yep, you have to give up a couple thing to get that: shutter specs, fps, flash sync, buffer etc.
It's fine for some people but often not. This means many people will get a cheap FF AND keep an advanced APS-C body.
Not that it wasn't the point at all. It was. Consumer screwed again
Not that Pentax would do any different if they could. They should, as a company.
02-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Entry to ticket to FF is lower than before? Yep, you have to give up a couple thing to get that: shutter specs, fps, flash sync, buffer etc.
Pentax did the same thing with the 645D... the Leica S2 costs considerably more* and it uses basically the same sensor.

*Current price for a new Pentax 645D (body only) $9900 AUD - Leica S2 Black (body only) $27,390 AUD
02-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
So the fact that most lenses designed for APS-C just happen to be smaller than their FX format equivalents is just a marketing gimmick to you?
If you compare equivalent lenses -- e.g., APS-C f/2.8 lenses with f/4 FF lenses -- then the FF lenses are not always larger. The size of most lenses is largely determined by its "speed", not by the size of the image circle it produces.

Think about it, if APS-C cameras didn't exist and the industry demanded cameras be either full frame or nothing, Pentax wouldn't exist as we know it. Pentax, Nikon,Canon, Leica,Olympus, Minolta,Sony,Ricoh,Fuji,Hasselblad,Contax - basically the whole industry wouldn't be anywhere near as diverse as it is today if people weren't willing to accept APS-C (and smaller sensor format) cameras.
Your whole premise ("industry demanded") doesn't make sense to me.

I'm happy for people to love APS-C and it was/is a good stop-gap technology. But its time for high-end full-frame mount DSLRs is running out.

Horses for courses, you know there are advantages to 8X10 format too, the ability to use camera movements with a massive variety of lenses - some of which are diffraction limited.
Again, not sure why you wrote this. I made a point about the FF format not having the downsides that are often attributed to it, but still offering advantages. I never said anything about FF being the ultimate format.
02-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #173
Pentaxian

If you compare equivalent lenses -- e.g., APS-C f/2.8 lenses with f/4 FF lenses -- then the FF lenses are not always larger. The size of most lenses is largely determined by its "speed", not by the size of the image circle it produces.
The Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L is bigger than the Tamron 16-50mm f/2.8 DX format lens - this is a fact.

I'm happy for people to love APS-C and it was/is a good stop-gap technology. But its time for high-end full-frame mount DSLRs is running out.
I agree, but I don't think that as soon as a FX format camera comes out that it should suddenly be abandoned.

I never said anything about FF being the ultimate format.
I don't think there is an ultimate format, each has its strengths and weaknesses.

02-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm interesting I didn't know that a 200mm f4 becomes a 300mm but f5.6 on APS-C... I.e I wouldn't need a 70-200mm f2.8 to match my 50-135mm f2.8 but a 70-200mm f4, based on the statements above.

Is this true? Have I understood correctly?
02-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #175
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FF equivalents complicate matters. Always consider lens focal lengths and apertures as they are indicated. Apparent conversions are given as equivalents when taking the crop factor into account. It's helpful for marketing but not for the photographer.
02-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #176
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There is proof: 3 > 5.

Indeed, time will prove you wrong.
Please tell me you don't teach mathematics.
02-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #177
Pentaxian

In the camera-world mathematics, 3 is greater than 5
02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Hmm interesting I didn't know that a 200mm f4 becomes a 300mm but f5.6 on APS-C... I.e I wouldn't need a 70-200mm f2.8 to match my 50-135mm f2.8 but a 70-200mm f4, based on the statements above.

No. 200mm lens doesn't become anything. It's 200mm lens no matter on what camera it is mounted on.

We, probably, need to speak about equivalent pictures. Picture taken on APS-C camera with 200mm lens @f/4 will look more or less the same (angle of view, depth of field) as picture taken on fullframe with 300mm lens @ f/5.6
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
No. 200mm lens doesn't become anything. It's 200mm lens no matter on what camera it is mounted on.

We, probably, need to speak about equivalent pictures. Picture taken on APS-C camera with 200mm lens @f/4 will look more or less the same (angle of view, depth of field) as picture taken on fullframe with 300mm lens @ f/5.6
I agree with Edvinas. but to complete the story, the f4 aperture will expose one stop faster. Probably the FF body will have about one stop less noise, so that may even out too. Just raise ISO one stop with the 300mm f5.6 on the full frame, keep the same shutter speed.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote

Yes and no. A picture taken at 50mm & f/2.8 on APS-C will look the same (angle of view & depth of field) as one taken at 75mm & f/4.0 on a full-frame.

However, the different apertures mean that, if you want to use the same shutter speed, the full-frame must use an ISO sensitivity one stop higher than the APS-C (thereby negating the advantage the full-frame has in that respect).

Also, but limiting yourself to exactly equivalent lenses aperture-wise, you would deny yourself the thinner DOF possibilities of the fulle-frame.

In a nutshell: if the intent is to only take equivalent pictures, one is probably better off not switching formats in the first place The decision to "upgrade" to full-frame should be motivated by the desire to make use of the capabilities it offers over APS-C, IMHO.