Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
From what do you draw that conclusion? I think anyone would understand that a lower tier MILC is to be priced accordingly, and a pro level MILC accordingly.
Just extrapolating; you were asking for a FF MILC "more affordable" than an entry-level FF DSLR, and I couldn't let the occasion to slip
Joking aside, you won't convince Pentax to make something if you're asking them to sell it cheaper. However, in MILC's case, that's fine... ask as much as you wish

02-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just extrapolating; you were asking for a FF MILC "more affordable" than an entry-level FF DSLR, and I couldn't let the occasion to slip
LOL! You consider the 6D, an FF body, that's almost as small as the K5II, (vastly outperforming Pentax size-wize) with many times it's performance, with equal build quality, better features, better AF, better price, better support an "entry level" model. What does that make the K5II in your eyes then?

Contrary to your statement above though, the official placement of the 6D is mid range.

I love my 5DMKII, but at that size I'm thinking of adding a 6D as well. Originally I kept my K5 for it's small size, but even that advantage is slipping.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-22-2013 at 01:11 PM.
02-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #198
Pentaxian

I would consider such a 6D absolutely amazing; too bad it doesn't exist.
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if this thread will hit 20 pages?

02-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #200
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As Dan says, you need a tripod. I shoot at iso 80 when shooting landscapes as much as possible, primarily due to the significantly better dynamic range you get there. In addition, I am usually stopped down at f8 to f11 and prefer to have something relatively close in foreground that I can focus on, while keeping background sharp. An FA 31 at f1.8 on full frame is just not going to cut it for for most landscape photography.
I agree, the 31mm F1.8 is much sharper at f4or f5.6 than F1.8 so using a tripod at low iso is the way to go.
Pentax smc FA 31 mm f/1.8 AL Image resolution :
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #201
Pentaxian

I would say that it is not pentax. It is so that some things are just as you would like them to be. Then manufacturer makes one. You get to choose which one you prefer. Right. This does not sound like rational statement? Well just look at few before me.

I just can't wait for pentax to take part of this race of putting your best shot on table first, that makes it. Winner. You must not neglet that.

I' m counting my self in this part of users that look and see, then make a gesture, of making a purchas or not. Can't really tell if anyone is thinkig likewise. Don't really wait for it either. Sometimes and recently more so things like so eager 'dissing' of pentax and making so high notes, maybe not for your self bu for me(usnonsoprofessional) makes good news like thi just vanish. I know tjis is just internet, but, please let us just see the product first... Excuse me fr spelling, not my forte.
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #202
Pentaxian

LOL! You consider the 6D, an FF body, that's almost as small as the K5II, (vastly outperforming Pentax size-wize) with many times it's performance, with equal build quality, better features, better AF, better price, better support an "entry level" model. What does that make the K5II in your eyes then?

Contrary to your statement above though, the official placement of the 6D is mid range.

I love my 5DMKII, but at that size I'm thinking of adding a 6D as well. Originally I kept my K5 for it's small size, but even that advantage is slipping.
I believe either you have some paralitic perception of things, or you don't really mean what you say.
Look at this quoted comparison btw 6D and K-5II :

Compare camera dimensions side by side

02-22-2013, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I would say that it is not pentax. It is so that some things are just as you would like them to be. Then manufacturer makes one. You get to choose which one you prefer. Right. This does not sound like rational statement? Well just look at few before me.

I just can't wait for pentax to take part of this race of putting your best shot on table first, that makes it. Winner. You must not neglet that.

I' m counting my self in this part of users that look and see, then make a gesture, of making a purchas or not. Can't really tell if anyone is thinkig likewise. Don't really wait for it either. Sometimes and recently more so things like so eager 'dissing' of pentax and making so high notes, maybe not for your self bu for me(usnonsoprofessional) makes good news like thi just vanish. I know tjis is just internet, but, please let us just see the product first... Excuse me fr spelling, not my forte.
Aside from the fact that I like the sentiment in your comment, you've correctly used the word 'forte' in this context <g>.

I agree; on any given day, what is, is. On that day your choices are on your plate, to do with what you will. Yesterday's choices are aren't yours any more - forget them. Tomorrow's choices aren't yours yet - ignore them. Do today what you will with what choices you have and all will be as it should be.

Pentax knows exactly what it is doing and exactly why it is doing it. They're not stupid, they're not going under, they're not ignoring our needs - they're taking care of their own business, which is doing quite well, thank you very much.

The sooner we let Pentax be Pentax the sooner we will all be happy.
02-22-2013, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #204
Veteran Member

$1860 vs $1100 = better price in what alternate universe?
1/4000s, 4.5fps vs 1/8000s, 7fps = "many times" the performance?
"Drip proof" (wow Canon, that terminology sure inspires confidence) vs K-5's well proven weather sealing?
97% viewfinder coverage vs 100% (and absolute size only 12% more than K-5, despite FF being 50% larger linearly)?

And yes, the 6D is very much an "entry level FF" by virtue of it having the lowest price and the worst specs of any FF DSLR currently being produced.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #205
Pentaxian

I must not do anything but agree.

This is just as U pointed out. We can flash many wishes, many thoughts that should/could have been done. Let's just see whats coming out before daunting it unseen. I like my K-7. It for sure is not perfect, having K-5 instead -@ time I purchased it-would have been great. But feel, using, holding it, just makes it worth it. So. Hy cn't pentax make something worth while gor you? For me first thing that I have before I shoot is having camera at reach of my hand. Loving to hold it, taking care of focus and shoot... Most of all put your hand in bag, and as blind take hold of your cam, and shoot. Firm grip.

I can say tha perhaps many brands can give for you this. What is importan is that you have one that is good for you. Not just for technical, but for feel of shot.

Otherwise just pick one you get right.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Aside from the fact that I like the sentiment in your comment, you've correctly used the word 'forte' in this context <g>.

I agree; on any given day, what is, is. On that day your choices are on your plate, to do with what you will. Yesterday's choices are aren't yours any more - forget them. Tomorrow's choices aren't yours yet - ignore them. Do today what you will with what choices you have and all will be as it should be.

Pentax knows exactly what it is doing and exactly why it is doing it. They're not stupid, they're not going under, they're not ignoring our needs - they're taking care of their own business, which is doing quite well, thank you very much.

The sooner we let Pentax be Pentax the sooner we will all be happy.
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
$1860 vs $1100 = better price in what alternate universe?
1/4000s, 4.5fps vs 1/8000s, 7fps = "many times" the performance?
"Drip proof" (wow Canon, that terminology sure inspires confidence) vs K-5's well proven weather sealing?
97% viewfinder coverage vs 100% (and absolute size only 12% more than K-5, despite FF being 50% larger linearly)?

And yes, the 6D is very much an "entry level FF" by virtue of it having the lowest price and the worst specs of any FF DSLR currently being produced.
Paper specs aren't really a reliable guide to what a camera is like to hold and to use. Last night at the local photogroup, someone brought along their brand-new 6D with 24-105mm lens. The fact is, it's an extremely nice camera and pretty well everyone there would really rather have liked one. Only 4.5fps and 1/4000th? So what! It would still take marvellous pics on that long weekend in Paris or Barcelona or wherever. I can't say I felt the same about the D600 when I handled one, even though it has slightly better paper specs. It simply felt cheap.

If Pentax had a camera like that and especially a zooms lens like that we'd all be over the moon. Yes, I am perfectly content with my incredibly solid and sealed K5 and classic lenses and I am fairly confident I know both well enough to squeeze the kind of quality from them - in all weathers including snowstorms - that comes as near to low-end FF as makes no difference anyway. Upgraders tend to overlook how close the two sides are until you really pile on the quality and the pixels at 5DIII or D800 levels with top glass to match, nb. But I'm not immune to what happens elsewhere and like a few folks, perhaps, I am becoming a little tired of Pentax Ricoh's apparent inability to come to terms with the big wide world outside Japan. I mean, what does it take to wake these guys up? Every time they say anything, which admittedly is hardly ever, it's like taking tranquilizers and winding back the reel by fifty years.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-22-2013 at 03:23 PM.
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sounds like you need a tripod.
I primarily do this for fun. Lugging tripods around generally negates that fun, and tripods still don't stop the wind or the surf.

Plenty of other pics, though, they help, of course. In those scenarios I'm usually panorama-ing anyway, so I emulate a MF with APS-C or FF.
02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't quite make that out. A K-3, K-3s a 645DII? Excellent! The K-3 in April, that's when I always get my bonus! How convenient.
Considering that the magazine has the K-3 appearing in April makes me wonder if this isn't more than just conjecture. Only a couple of months to find out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like this summer, givin how new the K-5 II/IIs are.
02-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Paper specs aren't really a reliable guide to what a camera is like to hold and to use. Last night at the local photogroup, someone brought along their brand-new 6D with 24-105mm lens. The fact is, it's an extremely nice camera and pretty well everyone there would really rather have liked one. Only 4.5fps and 1/4000th? So what! It would still take marvellous pics on that long weekend in Paris or Barcelona or wherever. I can't say I felt the same about the D600 when I handled one, even though it has slightly better paper specs. It simply felt cheap.
But then, price and features can be found in paper specs; even some aspects of speed. Size, too, but one would have to hold both cameras in his hands to actually feel the difference (camerasize.com makes a lousy replacement, still better than mere numbers).
Revisit Clavius' wild claims and see how this paper specs discussion started.
02-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #210
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Where is K-3's specs leaks...?