Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #301
Forum Member

It will be very interesting to see what Pentax comes up with, but quite frankly, the K-5 is a great camera and the IQ is still fantastic.
Don't put your hopes into speculation, if you need a camera now, buy a K-5/ii and be happy.

P.S.
What I am trying to say is: don't let these speculations consume you. A 6 months of missed pictures because of waiting for an upgrade is not worth a marginal IQ increase.

03-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@ true focus. Very true but it looks like the K 3 will be announced in the next month
03-03-2013, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
It will be very interesting to see what Pentax comes up with, but quite frankly, the K-5 is a great camera and the IQ is still fantastic.
Don't put your hopes into speculation, if you need a camera now, buy a K-5/ii and be happy.

P.S.
What I am trying to say is: don't let these speculations consume you. A 6 months of missed pictures because of waiting for an upgrade is not worth a marginal IQ increase.
Exactly!
My current workhorse K-5 continues to serve me well until it gets replaced by the new generation APS-C model maybe later in the year .
If a FF is introduced later on, I will get that as well and enjoy the benefits of both formats.
03-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #304

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
@ true focus. Very true but it looks like the K 3 will be announced in the next month
Near the 1st of April or near May ?
Tempus fugit. I want a dslr & i'm willing to stay w/o one until mid-May, but no longer. That is because i've heard a good camera makes a good photographer.

03-03-2013, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #305
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christiansen Quote
Near the 1st of April or near May ?
Tempus fugit. I want a dslr & i'm willing to stay w/o one until mid-May, but no longer. That is because i've heard a good camera makes a good photographer.
Yes and no, only the newest and best gear makes a great photographer! Keep in mind that you pay a premium for a newly announced product.
Don't wait longer than until the beginning of the good summer weather, those beatiful ladies in bikinis want to be photographed!
03-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #306
Veteran Member

I think one can take the photographer not the camera argument too far though to be honest. Certainly the K-7 allowed me to take certain photographs a lot more easily than the *ist DS for example. If you need the features than high end cameras make sense.
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #307
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I think one can take the photographer not the camera argument too far though to be honest. Certainly the K-7 allowed me to take certain photographs a lot more easily than the *ist DS for example. If you need the features than high end cameras make sense.
That's a very interesting point. I'm scratching my head at the moment trying to think what my K-5 has that my Z-1P doesn't that helps me take better photographs. I do know that the advent of digital cameras has enabled me to be braver and to experiment more. It certainly helps when you can immediately appraise photographs and make adjustments on the fly, rather than having to wait days to see how they turned out. But I'm not entirely persuaded by the "latest and greatest" argument, apart from the increased resolution of sensors, but I think we have already passed the point where more pixels makes for better pictures (except in some rarified cases). But I'm open to persuasion. What might the hoped for K-3 give anyone that would definitely improve your photographs? I'm very interested to know.
03-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #308
Site Supporter

Depends on which gear you're upgrading. Pics in focus and better low light performance?

I am certainly expecting better AF.C and less high ISO noise than my K200D. Hold on the replacement for a while now, waiting to see where Pentax is headed.

03-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #309
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Depends on which gear you're upgrading. Pics in focus and better low light performance?

I am certainly expecting better AF.C and less high ISO noise than my K200D. Hold on the replacement for a while now, waiting to see where Pentax is headed.
My situation exactly. I too have the K200D and I can't wait for the K3 to become reality. I need better AF and high ISO and the extra resolution comes in handy for cropping.
03-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That's a very interesting point. I'm scratching my head at the moment trying to think what my K-5 has that my Z-1P doesn't that helps me take better photographs. I do know that the advent of digital cameras has enabled me to be braver and to experiment more. It certainly helps when you can immediately appraise photographs and make adjustments on the fly, rather than having to wait days to see how they turned out. But I'm not entirely persuaded by the "latest and greatest" argument, apart from the increased resolution of sensors, but I think we have already passed the point where more pixels makes for better pictures (except in some rarified cases). But I'm open to persuasion. What might the hoped for K-3 give anyone that would definitely improve your photographs? I'm very interested to know.
With my example I was thinking specifically about live view helping with certain macro shots, SR helping a lot in specific circumstances, but also the resolution increase giving me much more freedom to crop. Admittedly the jump from 6 to 14 mp is significant and much higher than that you generally should try to compose the shot better such that extreme cropping isn't needed. However, it can be helpful.
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
My situation exactly. I too have the K200D and I can't wait for the K3 to become reality. I need better AF and high ISO and the extra resolution comes in handy for cropping.
Similar story here (K20D, K-x, K-01). I'm waiting for the K-3. I want more MP for cropping, with improved AF and K-30/K-01 CDAF and focus peaking. Some Ricoh control additions would be welcome too. Ricoh always gets high praise for handling.
03-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #312
Pentaxian

I'll ask a question, that may appear totally crazy, and unrealistic, maybe technically impossible. Maybe this was discussed already.
Is it really important that Pentax has separate APS-C and FF DSLR lines? I mean, why cannot an "APS-C" DSLR camera have an FF chip in the back of the mirror box (imagine it as a larger than needed canvas), and crop image automatically?

Technologically feasible? I'm not discussing overall economical validity of such an approach, but I'm just curious whether it could work without major complications?
03-05-2013, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Exactly!
My current workhorse K-5 continues to serve me well until it gets replaced by the new generation APS-C model maybe later in the year .
If a FF is introduced later on, I will get that as well and enjoy the benefits of both formats.
thats my game plan as well. Until then I'm shooting K5 and D600. But when that mystical FF Pentax comes... oh boy is someone gonna get a deal on a D600!
03-05-2013, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I'll ask a question, that may appear totally crazy, and unrealistic, maybe technically impossible. Maybe this was discussed already.
Is it really important that Pentax has separate APS-C and FF DSLR lines? I mean, why cannot an "APS-C" DSLR camera have an FF chip in the back of the mirror box (imagine it as a larger than needed canvas), and crop image automatically?

Technologically feasible? I'm not discussing overall economical validity of such an approach, but I'm just curious whether it could work without major complications?
Nikon's D600/D800 do this already. They auto crop when you fit a "DX" lens to the FX camera. I would assume/hope that Pentax will do the same. This would be much more convenient for all Pentax users and more affordable to those that want to use both ASP-C and FF systems.

as mentioned in my last post, I use both the K5 and the D600 right now. But I use them very differently. Right now my K5 does all my tele work (which currently means pretty much everything). My D600 does more portraiture and wide angle. This is just because thats what the FF system is better suited for vs ASP-C. But when it comes to tele, an APS-C kit is much better solution due to the crop factor, as well as the smaller lighter lenses.

Using the D600 and 70-200 f2.8 VRII (or in my soon to be case, 80-200 f2.8) is massive, and back breaking if on a hike, but a K5 with DA*50-135 f2.8 is actually still quite compact and very manoverable. Both have similar field of views.

For me... it will depend on how Pentax arranges the system. I'm long in the tooth for an upgrade on my K5. I would love the auto focus accuracy and quickness with the II series update. But what I would really love is more pixels for my printing, otherwise I would have jumped on the IIs right away. If Pentax allows a crop mode on the FF (whenever it comes), that will decide what I keep as a second body. Right now, assuming the K3 has all the logical updates to the K5 (24mp, weather sealing, better AF system, better metering system, NO tilt screen preferred) then I will replace one of my K5's with said camera. If the FF Pentax comes out, and it has a 18mp+ crop mode (32mp FF sensor?) then I would probably trade my remaining K5, K3, D600+lenses in for a pair of the FF Pentax and glass.
03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #315
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rarsdk Quote
Hoping for a K3 with no AA-fliter and 24Mpx
As a part time wedding photograph a camera without an AA is not a good ideas unless they figure out how to control the morie (???) better in clothing and table coverings because it would be cool to have sharper images that can be had without the AA without the risks. Also I own a K-5 and K-5ii and see no reason for higher Mp as I get great 16x20 prints from both cameras. What I would love to see is:

- a bigger buffer on the camera so we can take more frames before it fills up (frame rate at 5fps is enough for me but some of my sportts freidns say you need 7 or 8fps)
- faster dump times from the buffer to memory cards so can have the dump start ahd keep shooting at reduced rate of frames
- the ability to use USH-1 cards (30, 45 and 90mb/s).
- also improved and faster AF would be a plus