Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Thoog, @Paul -- thanks for clarifying this. Definitely not the best way for Pentax to go... either mechanically or marketingwise (is that an actual word?).

@Ron -- As a Southern Californian, I am very impressed. This is almost as good as Nancy Reagan getting an astrologer, to help out her husband. I will try an old Nikon lens, maybe affixing it with gaffers tape, and see what happens. Will also rotate myself 180 degrees, and turn the other way around, to see if that helps too. In lieu of Polish jokes, it is great fun to be an Irish-American, let loose at retirement with this fine K-01 camera!

Back to the thread -- is April 1 the announcement day for new Pentax cameras?

Last edited by jon404; 03-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #512
Forum Member

@Pal Jensen: You misunderstand me. I wasn't talking about volume of sales between the Pentax ME and Canon AE-1, I was talking about marketing, the difference between the companies in terms of how they used the available media at the time. There is no question that Canon got very aggressive, especially with TV advertising. It worked, Canon's name became very well known and sales went up. I know this because I worked photo retail at the time and saw how more and more people came in asking for Canon. Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, and Olympus continued with heavy advertising in enthusiast magazines and occasionally others, but Canon outdid them all in terms of their marketing push over a wide variety of media. Minolta also went on a run of TV ads, pushing their Minolta XG-7, and Olympus later on would push their OM-10. Pentax and Nikon did some TV ads but not as much as the others, until Nikon introduced their consumer grade EM. Nikon did score a marketing coup when the movie "The Eyes of Laura Mars" came out in 1978, starring Faye Dunaway, http://www.posterpalace.com/images/ak/eyesoflauralc8.jpg
where she made heavy use out of the just introduced Nikon FE and FM. The Nikon FE/FM. Minolta XG-7, XD-11, and Pentax ME/MX all came on the heels of Canon's AE-1/AT-1, but Canon was much more aggressive than all of them in terms of marketing (with acknowledgement to Olympus for making the first real compact 35mm SLR).

Having said all that, I would not dispute you on just sales alone. Back then Pentax was absolutely on the same level as the others in terms of sales despite the heavy marketing by Canon. But my overall point remains that while Canon remains very aggressive in this area, Pentax has not kept up and evolved their marketing as Canon has (and to a lesser extent, Nikon, and now Sony in place of Minolta). I hope Ricoh will commit to shoring that gap up.
03-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #513
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ jon404, I think that we will see exiting announcements at monday
03-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #514
Lens Buying Addict

Search for Pentax on YouTube - they did TV ads as well, but Pentax was in essence a large, conservative family business. Canon had the might of the emerging office equipment boom and later the patent on the Laser Printing imaging engine throwing off cash flow like a gusher oil well - they actually had trouble spending it all.

Did you know every HP Laser Printer ever sold generated a Patent License royalty for Canon?

03-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #515
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
exciting announcements -perhaps, real announcements - doubtful
03-31-2013, 01:55 AM   #516
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Monday is Easter Monday. I know Japan isn't a Christian country but I'd doubt any company would announce a new product when it's a national holiday in their major markets.
03-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #517
Veteran Member

Well, Sunday the 31st in the USA is actually Monday the 1st in Japan. Caat, the Monday after Easter isn't a holiday here in the US. Separation of church and state sort of thing... so we all tend to skip out of work on Good Friday afternoon. The real problem here is that any Pentax announcement could be taken as an April Fool's Day farce. Think about it -- that crack Pentax/Ricoh engineering team -- 100,000 man-hours of effort developing the revolutionary depleted-uranium nanotechnology sensor -- and everybody thinks its a joke. Timing!
03-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
The real problem here is that any Pentax announcement could be taken as an April Fool's Day farce.
If I recall, April 1 last year was the official merger date of Pentax and Ricoh camera divisions (management, staff, premises etc) after the acquisition from Hoya six months earlier. This date is usually the first official business day of the second (or fourth) financial quarter in many countries. So it often is a day for genuine press releases, but boring business announcements are probably more likely than exciting (or even exiting ) product announcements/launches. Apple Computer Inc is a well-known example, the company founded and officially began trading on April 1.

Anyway, so if my memory does serve me correctly, Monday will be the new Pentax Ricoh subsidiary's official first birthday.

03-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #519
Veteran Member

Well, Sunday the 31st in the USA is actually Monday the 1st in Japan. Caat, the Monday after Easter isn't a holiday here in the US. Separation of church and state sort of thing... so we all tend to skip out of work on Good Friday afternoon. The real problem here is that any Pentax announcement could be taken as an April Fool's Day farce. Think about it -- that crack Pentax/Ricoh engineering team -- 100,000 man-hours of effort developing the revolutionary depleted-uranium nanotechnology sensor -- and everybody thinks its a joke. Timing!
d'uh sorry. Yes, I totally forgot it's also April Fool's Day this year!
03-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #520
Pentaxian

Caat, the Monday after Easter isn't a holiday here in the US. Separation of church and state sort of thing...
Don't you just love unconscious irony? What's that slogan on US currency? Tell me how it goes again?

Never mind, it would be ironic if there was an announcement from Pentax USA tomorrow, while the rest of the Western World is on holiday (or is that just paradox?).
03-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #521
Pentaxian

April Fool's Day 2012 was also the day Pentax USA attempted to go out of business -- Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase 15-90%.
03-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #522
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well you can connect them to your Pentax camera, just turn the lens 180 degrees and remember to turn it the other way around. Won't click on to the mount, so it needs support. I used and old pre-Ai lens on my K-7 for a while.
Pretty close on the yellow fingernail Ron
03-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #523
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
If I recall, April 1 last year was the official merger date of Pentax and Ricoh camera divisions (management, staff, premises etc) after the acquisition from Hoya six months earlier.
Don't forget that April 1 was also the day Pentax/Ricoh introduced the Unilateral Pricing Plan.
03-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #524
Site Supporter

If FF Pentax Needs 36MP Sensor?

If Pentax does introduce a FF they will need to do something really unique. Since the D800 is the best overall sensor out there, it would be great if they could use something similar.

Dale
03-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
If Pentax does introduce a FF they will need to do something really unique. Since the D800 is the best overall sensor out there, it would be great if they could use something similar.

Dale
I just want them to at least match the Nikon D600 and do it soon. I handled one the other day and I really loved it. That big, bright VF was a dream. If no Pentax FF by Christmas I'll be seriously considering a switch to Nikon.