Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #841
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,856
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
You are referring to yourself, right?


05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #842
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I was told yesterday by a local Pentax rep that they are about to bring out a budget DSLR but that they don't know jack about anything else and have no idea as to what Ricoh's plans are. This guy says that they have a Ricoh rep (of 18 years) working for them who has a decent relationship with the head guys in Japan but even he is not told anything.
.
.
That's nothing.
In Pentax Ricoh, even the Pentax Ricoh systems camera development manager knows nothing about the status of the future cameras.
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #843
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,856
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
.
.
That's nothing.
In Pentax Ricoh, even the Pentax Ricoh systems camera development manager knows nothing about the status of the future cameras.
They treat them like mushrooms.

Keep them in the dark and pile manure on top of them.
05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #844
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Nothing's wrong with that. Perhaps I should elaborate, I'm meaning to say crApple's the one that I see that started the trend of having "new" products every 6 months. Where in fact, it's nothing much but a minor upgrade from the "recent" one; "milking" they say.. LoL!
Actually, Apple has had a habit of renewing their products only once a year (with exceptions, of course) and introduce a much smaller number of models(*) than other manufacturers, so they were hardly the ones that started the trend of new products every 6 months! What they (or, especially Steve Jobs) have always been good at, was to make an almost religious sermon out of their (infrequent!) product launches.

(*) Samsung's Norwegian web pages lists 62 phone models, Apple has 3 (or 10 if you count all color and capacity combos).

05-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #845
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
You are referring to yourself, right?
LOL, I wish I was only 30 years old. But you shouldn't make jokes like that with us non native speakers, now I'm getting insecure and wondering if I said something wrong - but "dishwasher" is the right term for the appliance, right? Or is this an american-british thing? (Which reminds me: My friend in school lived one year in the US when he was about 12 years old, and got a correction when he (back in Norway) wrote "wash up" in an English essay, the teacher corrected it to "do the dishes". Until recently, I thought my friend was just using American English and that "do the dishes" was British English (which we were supposed to learn) - but it's the other way round, isn't it?)
05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #846
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,856
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
(*) Samsung's Norwegian web pages lists 62 phone models, Apple has 3 (or 10 if you count all color and capacity combos).
Being from Norway shouldn't you be using a Nokia phone?

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
(Which reminds me: My friend in school lived one year in the US when he was about 12 years old, and got a correction when he (back in Norway) wrote "wash up" in an English essay, the teacher corrected it to "do the dishes". Until recently, I thought my friend was just using American English and that "do the dishes" was British English (which we were supposed to learn) - but it's the other way round, isn't it?)
Wash up is what we do before sitting down for dinner.

After working all day on the farm.
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #847
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,497
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
LOL, I wish I was only 30 years old. But you shouldn't make jokes like that with us non native speakers, now I'm getting insecure and wondering if I said something wrong - but "dishwasher" is the right term for the appliance, right? Or is this an american-british thing? (Which reminds me: My friend in school lived one year in the US when he was about 12 years old, and got a correction when he (back in Norway) wrote "wash up" in an English essay, the teacher corrected it to "do the dishes". Until recently, I thought my friend was just using American English and that "do the dishes" was British English (which we were supposed to learn) - but it's the other way round, isn't it?)
Yes, in America a Dishwasher is a machine residing underneath the Kitchen counter into which you place your dirty dishes, which you turn on before you go to sleep and when you awaken the next day your dishes are clean.

A Dish Washer is a person (in this case a 30-year-old man) who will perform an identical service by hand.
05-08-2013, 04:09 PM - 3 Likes   #848
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,464
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, in America a Dishwasher is a machine residing underneath the Kitchen counter into which you place your dirty dishes, which you turn on before you go to sleep and when you awaken the next day your dishes are clean.
Not to be confused with a Wishdasher, which is an old Japanese camera company with a pathologically, cyclically manic-depressive userbase.

05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #849
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,497
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Not to be confused with a Wishdasher, which is an old Japanese camera company with a pathologically, cyclically manic-depressive userbase.
Thread Winner. Ash, you can close it now.
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #850
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
LOL, I wish I was only 30 years old. But you shouldn't make jokes like that with us non native speakers, now I'm getting insecure and wondering if I said something wrong - but "dishwasher" is the right term for the appliance, right? Or is this an american-british thing? (Which reminds me: My friend in school lived one year in the US when he was about 12 years old, and got a correction when he (back in Norway) wrote "wash up" in an English essay, the teacher corrected it to "do the dishes". Until recently, I thought my friend was just using American English and that "do the dishes" was British English (which we were supposed to learn) - but it's the other way round, isn't it?)
I grew up in Pennsylvania. My father would tell me to "redd up the table". Bonus points to anyone who knows the etymology.
05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #851
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Being from Norway shouldn't you be using a Nokia phone?


Wash up is what we do before sitting down for dinner.

After working all day on the farm.
Right - and is this the purpose for what the British call "Washing up liquid"?

I love visiting Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Waitrose, etc. They are, to me, endlessly interesting and as the everyday version of the V&A. There's a "pleb" witticism in here someplace but I'd probably muck it up and lose my leadership post.

Alas, too many products in the UK have adopted American names since I started visiting, like "paper towel" instead of the traditional "kitchen roll". As I think of it, on my next holiday there, I'll see if I can boycott any pub with burgers and fries. I accepted the one-time ubiquitous quiche as a fine alternative to (British) burgers and fries - almost anything is - but still am happiest with a bacon butty or bangers/mash or ploughman's lunch. There doesn't seem much point in pandering to American tourists as they'll complain about the burgers anyway. (My three kids had to try burgers at a pub as well as McDonald's. Once. That put paid to that idea for the whole six weeks and for years afterward.)

Sorry, I digress. It's post #851 and anything helpful I could think of has been written long ago by someone else .... It's time for a Hobgoblin.
05-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #852
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,856
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Right - and is this the purpose for what the British call "Washing up liquid"?

I love visiting Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Waitrose, etc. They are, to me, endlessly interesting and as the everyday version of the V&A. There's a "pleb" witticism in here someplace but I'd probably muck it up and lose my leadership post.

Alas, too many products in the UK have adopted American names since I started visiting, like "paper towel" instead of the traditional "kitchen roll". As I think of it, on my next holiday there, I'll see if I can boycott any pub with burgers and fries. I accepted the one-time ubiquitous quiche as a fine alternative to (British) burgers and fries - almost anything is - but still am happiest with a bacon butty or bangers/mash or ploughman's lunch. There doesn't seem much point in pandering to American tourists as they'll complain about the burgers anyway. (My three kids had to try burgers at a pub as well as McDonald's. Once. That put paid to that idea for the whole six weeks and for years afterward.)

Sorry, I digress. It's post #851 and anything helpful I could think of has been written long ago by someone else .... It's time for a Hobgoblin.
It is interesting how we all speak "English" yet sometimes the various national and regional colloquialisms and variations of uses of words can make it almost impossible to communicate, even understand each other.

Even different areas of the US present challenges to clear communication and understanding.

I see you are from Wisconsin. Do you enjoy a "pasty" (or two or three) at the state fair each year? I know I would.
05-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #853
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,856
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I grew up in Pennsylvania. My father would tell me to "redd up the table". Bonus points to anyone who knows the etymology.
Clear the table after dinner is done!
05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #854
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,289
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I grew up in Pennsylvania. My father would tell me to "redd up the table".
You probably had to go 'warsh' up as well.
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #855
Senior Member
TomE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 294
The Wisconsin State Fair is big on "Cream Puffs"!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax cameras, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minikina 2013 vsl 01/02.06.2013 in Wiesbaden veraikon General Talk 9 05-27-2013 10:37 AM
Weekly Challenge POTW #251 27 Jan 2013 through 10 Feb 2013 Dr Orloff Weekly Photo Challenges 54 02-10-2013 11:59 AM
Weekly Challenge POTW #250 20 Jan 2013 through 3 Feb 2013 Douge Weekly Photo Challenges 43 02-03-2013 09:45 PM
PENTAX Introduces New K-5 II & K-5 IIs DSLR Cameras Versatile cameras feature newly d Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 18 09-13-2012 07:14 AM
NEW Pentax Lens Roadmap 2012/2013 oddesy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 331 04-07-2012 02:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top